FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another motorized Cumberland

+4
GT
jeffcpr
SP Dan
john_henry_newman
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Another motorized Cumberland Empty Another motorized Cumberland Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:30 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I wanted to mount my trolling motor on the back end of my Cumberland and here is what I have so far.  I still need to make a few tweaks but I really like having the motor off the back end.  Also, the footrests really came out nice.  They are comfortable and reduce drag when I have the motor going at Warp 5.

Note:  this is very much a prototype (second one) so I would love to hear suggestions!  

-I plan to trim back the plywood once I find the perfect location for the battery to balance the weight of the motor.

-I still have to glue up some of the PVC

-Add rod holders and fishfinder mount.

-Several other mods in various stages of design.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
8/72/15/img_2010.jpg" />

Last edited by john_henry_newman on Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:56 am; edited 4 times in total

2Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:30 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

3Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:32 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

4Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:35 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thank you for sharing your DIY project Sir!
Great pictures!

I don’t use a motor on my float tube to fish but I can certainly appreciate all the thought, time and money that you put into your project sir!

SP Dan <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

5Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:52 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Dam that is so cool nice work Float Tubers have the greatest DIY's

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:41 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great looking project, can you give us more info when completed, like break down, time to assemble etc........thanks ............GT

7Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:16 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

GT wrote:Great looking project, can you give us more info when completed, like break down, time to assemble etc........thanks ............GT

Certainly!  I am working now on trying to minimize setup/breakdown time, keep things light and easily transportable, etc.  

I've had it out twice so far and it wasn't too much more time to launch, but I was able to get my truck backed up right to the edge of the pond.  I'm hoping to get out again later this week.

8Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:48 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks John..........GT

9Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:32 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Your workshop looks great!
Can you tell us how you store the tube, as in all rigged or completely broken down?
How do you transport the setup, in a car, SUV, or pickup?

10Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 am

Floatingbassturd

Floatingbassturd
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I modified a kayak dolly so I can roll my entire tube rods battery and motor all set up pretty much right down to the water. I have the motor on back fixed in place and use my fine like a rudder to steer. Just keep them flat when going straight. also I highly recommend you swap out the notched variable speed control switch for a pwm. Pulse width modulator. You'll double your battery life it is far more efficient and easy to install. Plus you can fine tune your speed to stay put in current.

11Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:10 pm

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Jerdon wrote:Your workshop looks great!
Can you tell us how you store the tube, as in all rigged or completely broken down?
How do you transport the setup, in a car, SUV, or pickup?

Thanks!  My wife has given up even calling it a "garage" anymore.

I am toying with the idea of keeping the PVC strapped to the tube and then hanging it up in my shed for storage.  

As for transportation, I have a pickup but space is tight because I usually take 4 of my kids fishing with me and we all  have Cumberlands...a float-tilla if you will.  So, 5 float tubes, pfds, etc. does tend to fill up the bed (and we fill up the cab).  I'm hoping to get out tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

12Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:12 pm

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Floatingbassturd wrote:I modified a kayak dolly so I can roll my entire tube rods battery and motor all set up pretty much right down to the water. I have the motor on back fixed in place and use my fine like a rudder to steer. Just keep them flat when going straight. also I highly recommend you swap out the notched variable speed control switch for a pwm. Pulse width modulator. You'll double your battery life it is far more efficient  and easy to install. Plus you can fine tune your speed to stay put in current.

Wow, great advice!  I've already got a PWM controller ordered.  Did you have any problems with your heating up?  

Thanks again!

13Another motorized Cumberland Empty Update Mon May 04, 2020 6:12 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Sorry for the delay in giving the requested update.  I did take out the tube after tweaking the original design and I was happy with the performance.  It was pretty balanced and setup time wasn't bad.  The only thing I didn't like was that the motor did interfere a bit with casting to my left.  

So, partially for fun, I did a complete redesign and located the motor behind the seat (cutting through the netting) after taking off the top and wiring the motor directly to the PWM controller.  Then, I used two 18Ah batteries mounted on the PVC frame by the storage compartments.  This was a better design in all aspects.  Faster to set up, load nicely balanced, and the motor was out of the way of fishing.  

If you would like to see pics, just let me know and I can take some after I make a couple of tweaks.

14Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya we want to see that for sure.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

15Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I would enjoy some pics of your mods, thanks John.......GT

16Another motorized Cumberland Empty Pics Mon May 04, 2020 2:40 pm

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Here is the motor in place (batteries are not in their boxes)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

17Another motorized Cumberland Empty Pics Mon May 04, 2020 2:43 pm

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Here is the frame before receiving the motor assembly.

18Another motorized Cumberland Empty PIcs Mon May 04, 2020 2:49 pm

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

A closer look at the motor assembly. The box is sized to house a 35 AH battery originally located with this assembly (but then I switched to using two 18AH batteries located on either side near the storage compartments).

The slot in the top with the bolt in it keeps the motor facing in the correct direction. I loosen the wingnut when I want to raise/lower the motor during launch and landing.

19Another motorized Cumberland Empty Mess! Mon May 04, 2020 2:50 pm

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Finally,

Please excuse the horrible mess everywhere! I generally clean up after a project is done and this one has dragged on a bit!

20Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Mon May 04, 2020 9:25 pm

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great job, that looks awesome.

21Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Tue May 05, 2020 6:17 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

TobyB wrote:Great job, that looks awesome.

Thanks! I forgot to post the front shot of the motor assembly. This is a single piece that drops into the frame right before launching. It weights about 15lbs so it is pretty easy to handle:

22Another motorized Cumberland Empty Pics Tue May 05, 2020 6:19 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Underneath:

23Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Tue May 05, 2020 9:10 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dang, that's some clean work there Fisherman. R U using 1.5 inch PVC? And how muck motor below water line? My guess would be 12 to 14 inches.......GT

24Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Tue May 05, 2020 9:53 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

GT wrote:Dang, that's some clean work there Fisherman.  R U using 1.5 inch PVC? And how muck motor below water line? My guess would be 12 to 14 inches.......GT

Thanks! Good estimate. I used 1 1/4" PVC, which I think was a pretty good tradeoff between strength/weight/cost. Also, I plan to add rod holders to the frame and 1 1/4" will work well for that.

The motor is about 12" below waterline when fully extended down. I can raise the motor up above the bottom of the tube when launching and landing.

I also plan to increase the size of the boxes used to hold the batteries. After the initial test, I realized that I would love to have more storage space there.

25Another motorized Cumberland Empty Re: Another motorized Cumberland Tue May 05, 2020 10:38 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

OK so how about added weight......your Combie is about 350 pounds if I remember correctly. With a motor I guess weight isn't to much of a concern.............Really nice........GT

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum