FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Today at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Today at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Today at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Night Time Fishing.....My theory

+4
waxon67
Konacrush
n2deepfsw
MASSfisher
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:41 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys, like my other post about color I have another one on fishing at night. There are a lot of younger guys on the other forum I post on so this information help's them out a lot more than it does for you "salt dogs" out there. Either way I'll post this here and hope to get some opinions and criticism from you guys....specifically AsianGuy. I posted that stuff about color selection the other day and he presented me with some really cool stuff.....so AsianGuy...I'm calling you out. Teach me your ways lol. I wanna hear some different ideas on this topic...thanks.

Night Time Fishing.....My theory

As you can already tell, when I get bored I like to do short write ups on random things fishing related. This is my theory on night time fishing.....hopefully it gives people a new view on how to target fish at night:

I love fishing at night, it's a time when only the dedicated anglers are on the water and the big bass come out to play. On the East coast big striped bass are caught during the day, I won't say that they're not. However, any "sharpie" who know's a thing or two about a thing or two will miss insane amounts of sleep when the stripers are up north during their annual migrations. More big striped bass are caught in the dead of night than any other time of the day....FACT. I've taken what I know about east coast striper fishing over here to the West coast and many of the same things apply:

It seems that more big spotted bay bass are caught at night, and it seems that more fish (SBB) in general are caught at night than during the day. Some people may have better results during the day, but for me most of my bigger fish are caught at night.

Why?

For striped bass it's well know that the bigger fish are very cautious and don't put themselves in any unnecessary danger...fish don't get big by being dumb. Coming into the shallow's or leaving their "structure" during the day is a sure way of making themselves vulnerable to a ton of different things.

Enough of the east coast and stripers...here's how I think this applies to spotted bay bass.

We all know that spotties are structure orientated fish....pilings, docks, eels grass, drop offs...you get the idea...but they are never really found in the open water. Being ambush predators, they like to sit and hide using cover & concealment. This allows them to obtain careless, easy meals without being somebody else's meal. I've found that during times of low light (very cloudy days, dawn, dusk, & at night) spotties are more likely to venture away from their "hideouts" in order to get some food in their stomach's. I'm not saying they are careless and swim around in search of food, all I'm saying is that they will move off of the structure a bit in hope's of tracking down some food during this time when visibility is extremely limited.

First things first....color. At night I ONLY use black and for more than one reason. First off, we all know that a black bait provides the best silhouette at night. You could throw red's and pink's and blue's and any other color, but at night fish have black and white vision anyways (no color vision). So right off the bat color is not a factor, but a good silhouette is. That's enough about color, if you do better with a different color or don't see my reasoning behind this...well more fish for me and less for you. I'm fine with that. Another factor is size, some guys use bigger baits at night because it has a larger profile. I typically use the same size bait at night as I do during the day, but it's worth trying out if you are looking to change things up.

Some people swear by smell, some people say it doesn't matter. I think scent is more important for covering up the human scent than actually giving off a "bait fish" smell. At night, when presenting your bait slowly to the fish scent can definitely help out. I'll explain more in a minute, but at night vision is less important to fish and they rely on other sense's to help them find food. Smell is one of those sense's. You want to provide your bait as naturally as possible and covering up the human scent we give off (L-Serine) along with the smell of gas, tobacco, sunscreen, insect repellent etc. is a good idea. After the human scent is eliminated adding the smell of a real creature is definitely an added bonus. Keep in mind though, I know plenty of guys who NEVER use scent and catch way more fish than I do. Is scent that important? Maybe not but it adds confidence to the way I fish, and I believe that doing 50 little things the right way to catch 1 more fish per session is worth it.

One of the biggest benefits of using ONLY black at night is that it stops you from constantly changing colors. This gives you more time to focus on proper presentation of your bait, which is in my opinion the biggest factor at night.

My theory:

During the day the visibility is definitely better than at night. Fish (both predators and prey) use a number of sense's to operate. The most used sense's are vison, the lateral line, and smell (not necessarily in that order, depending on species). During the night, vision is almost completely out of the equations, but not quite. If you were to walk into a pitch black room at night your vision is not going to help you at all, instead your other sense's are heightened: touch, sound, and even smell. The same applies to fish at night, the lateral line is in my opinion the one thing fish rely on to both find food and avoid being somebody's next meal.

At night everything slows down. For the most part bait fish (not necessarily schooling bait fish) creep around cautiously, trying not to give away their position by being loud and sending out their location to nearby fish. If a bait fish were to move around fast, darting back and forth, sending off huge vibrations it would be unnatural and actually spook fish. So why would you ever do this with your lure? The key at night is slow....so slow it hurts sometimes. You want to present your bait as naturally as possible to the fish, and working it through the water like a cautious bait fish is the best way to do this at night. Don't worry, even though you are "impersonating" a bait fish trying NOT to get eaten the spotties will have no problem tracking down your lure and killing it with much enthusiasm.

Another reason why slower is better: It simply gives the fish more time to key in on the bait for a good kill. It is proven however that blinded fish can still survive with no problems at all, simply by using their lateral lines. By slowing down your retrieve you are just ensuring that the fish get's a good first shot at it.

Other night time considerations:

Light

I try to limit the use of my headlamp as much as possible, or at least keep it aimed away from the water & use a red light. A big flash of light in the water will spook fish. Like human's, it takes a fish awhile to adjust to daylight or night time conditions...a flash of light will hurt their vision temporarily blinding them. This being said, fish hanging around under docks, piers, bridges and other ares where there is constant light are adjusted to that condition and will not be spooked. As a matter of fact, a lot of predators will hang around these areas because of the increased amount of bait fish present.

Sound

Sound can be a big issue at night and during the day. Try not to make any noise when approaching a certain area you are going to fish. If on a tube or kayak try to drift of glide to the desired spot...avoid using your fins as much as possible. At night there is less boat traffic, less people moving around on the docks making noise, everything just quiets down. You kicking around like a mad man will not necessarily scare a spotty away who is 10-15 feet below you...but it may make him very cautious and less likely to eat until you leave.

The truth is: I over think things way to much. I try to think of a reason behind everything I do, and try to think of the "science" behind things to figure out why fish do what they do. Even though the books say "fish do this", fish don't read books and are constantly doing things that surprise us. Use whatever I've written as just another way of approaching things, that's all. When it's all said and done fishing is fishing and is meant to be fun. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some of you have caught fish by doing thevexact opposite of everything I just said. Keep it simple, keep it cool and have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

2Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:57 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thumbs Up

3Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:56 am

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

4Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:02 am

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I agree 100% with you MASS cant wait to get on the water its been really nice outside lately when I have a night session hopefully i'll be fishing with you sgt mass fisher are you a sgt yet ?

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

5Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:09 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

No still a Corporal...gonna be that way forever too since I'm getting out lol

6Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:11 am

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Cool that I wish I could shoot a real m4a1 instead of my video game stuff lol or a SAW that would be really cool

7Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:22 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Saws are fun too...until you shoot an M240...then once you shoot a .50 the 240 is weak sauce...i think i have some videos on my youtube page....ill upload the. 50 cal one later for you to drool over

8Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:28 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Nice write up thanks for posting this. study

9Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:58 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice post.... night fishin is one of my fav fishin technique.. Im interested in that .50 cal vid must c I got me a few long range toys nothin like the .50 but my 7.62x54 n .308 does me pretty good.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

10Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:43 am

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

MASSfisher wrote:Saws are fun too...until you shoot an M240...then once you shoot a .50 the 240 is weak sauce...i think i have some videos on my youtube page....ill upload the. 50 cal one later for you to drool over
nice when you gonna take me to shoot one lol

11Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:40 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

summertime night fishing is a must

12Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:17 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I want to do a summer time over night harbor fishing session.

13Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

One thing to add MASS, larger fish, (in general) have larger eyes. This (most of the time) translates to better light transmission, aka vision. So in conclusion, the bass have bigger eyes and can see better at night than bait-fish, adding one more advantage numero uno. Wink afro

14Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] has some good info on night fishing if u got to the strike zone

15Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:32 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the added info guys.

And Kona ammo is expensive as hell. They have places (not sure about Cali) where you can shoot 100 SAW rounds (5.56mm) for a crap ton of money lol. I remember days where I'd shoot at least 3,000 rounds....all fun until you have to clean it...that is NOT fun.

If you haven't shot an M16 though you can rent one at some places and get some rounds off. Last time I went to a place like that I took my gf and rounds came out to like 50 cents each. If you ever wanna shoot let me know and I'll show you a few box drills (2 in the chest 1 in the head).

I also own a Sig P226 .40 that I haven't even shot yet.....paid almost $1,000 for it too.

16Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:07 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Another winner MASSFISHER,

Allow me to give you a different angle on it. Now bear with me here,....

Ok, we know that more, bigger fish are caught at night. You contend, as I used to, that it is because they tend to be more wary than smaller (younger?) fish. But let's just assume for the moment that fish aren't as smart as we like to give them credit for. In fact, let's say they are virtually devoid of cognizant thought, and rely completely on instinct, and a little short term memory thrown in for their behavior.
So,..
I am a big fish, (let's say a 6lb Spottie). As a Spottie, I like cover, I tend to be a bit sedentary, I feed aggressively and like to eat almost anything that swims and or crawls. I don't need to be as active as my little brothers or to consume as much. My growth and metabolism has slowed. They are still growing and are driven by hunger that their high metabolism drives. I could run around with them if I needed to (and do when I have to) but prefer my meals to come to me and because I am big I like big protein rich meals. But sadly for how carefully I have chosen my roost I must still go out and get a meal. Food just doesn't come walking along often enough.

Night time in the water is a frantic, fantastic, feeding frenzy. Everything is active at night including things that spend the better part of the day hiding, like shrimp,crabs,octopus, eels,... Bait fish tend to tighten up their schools and move to where the current squeezes the phyto and zooplankton together and to the top. Nightly migrations of plankton toward the surface or bright lights, draw small fish to the upper water column, and they feed frantically and aggressively. Much of the anchovy and sardine masses will migrate out of the harbor to seek the rising plankton, feed, and then seek the protection of the harbor during the day.
And so with the predators.

So every night under cover of darkness I move off my perch and go to my feeding station, which is usually not far, and almost always a bottom feature in or very near the main harbor current, and wait and watch. I am looking for that nice fat queenfish or sardine, octopus or freshly molted crab. It is dark so all my senses are on alert. I can see clearly but have a difficult time gauging distance because my binocular vision is very narrow. At a distance I use both eyes, but close up only one. I see dark, light and ESPECIALLY things that flash. So the easiest prey is something that is big, noisy, (stupid or injured) and stops occasionally so I can gauge distance and target it.

Ok, Here is where we diverge,
I am a big believer in big, loud, baits that match the local forage. I don't fish black at night but usually a very contrasty color combo with a lot of flash and sparkle. One of my favorites is a 3/4-1oz, silver and gold tandem willow blade spinner bait with a black and silver flash 5" Swimmin Fish tail on it. Just imagine that in white as well (including the blades), I like that one too. The idea is the fish are there to eat and especially the big ones, will eat a big bait because they need to. Big and loud draws attention from afar, it aggravates and stimulates.
Slow? well sort of, you want the bait to contour the bottom or clunk along banging and bumpin everything it can. Ripping and stalling is another great way to get their attention and then stall so they can target the bait.
Visibillity at night for fish is not better or worse, it is just different. Every species has adapted to the night as well as they have to the day. Their behavior may change a bit but the purpose is still the same, EAT! Big fish feed more and more actively and aggressively at night because it is easier and there is more food available for less effort.
Scent? as you may already know I don't regard it very highly except for special circumstances.( like farm trout, catfish, and carp) Pheremones, on the other hand well thats a different story.
Sound? you bet the quieter you can be the better. Including your cast by the way, A quiet delivery can be key when working, close quarters. Pitchin and flippin!!
Light ? not sure, there is no more brightly lit place on the water than a harbor. We used to drag a crappie light along with us when we need to net bait!

MASSFISHER, you can't over think this stuff, and don't ever stop. But just a piece of advice that turned my fishing in another direction. Look at fishing from a more basic and simple way. Fish are not smart. They are adaptive organisms that behave according to stimulus they receive directly from their environment. They change their behavior only when they have to. They eat, they try and stay warm, they don't like direct sunlight, they need a certain amount of oxygen, they are driven to spawn, when they are uncomfortable they move, and they have a very strong survival instinct. Think in those terms and a whole lot of stuff will suddenly become very clear and you will realize that fish are stupid and easy to catch! Hee, Hee,,....

bodfish

Oh by the way, that 6lb Spottie is still waiting for a big, noisy, stupid meal to come along. Hee Hee,...

17Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:50 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Holy hell bodfish....thats awesome. I completely see where you're coming from with all that info....it makes a lot of sense. I definitely do overt think things...always have always will. J like your simplified approach though...thanks for sharing.

Thats why i love this site...ill show my theory or opinion and then somebody else will come along with a load of new info or a different idea and it will absolutely blow my mind. Thanks a lot man.

I cann dibs on the 6 pound spotty

18Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:21 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great info. bodfish!

19Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:26 am

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I love all your theories and hope we can be a team for the upcoming tournaments 2012 I'll be taking what you guys said and trying to enter every tournament it will be my first time just want to say I tried always wanted to nows the time "I'm coming for you 6lbs spotty and your friends " Twisted Evil

20Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:28 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Lol we need to do a fresh water tourny again n catch some real fish lol

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

21Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:15 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Copy that, Tubinferbass!!!

I love Spotties but I feel like these guys are in a rut! They need to break out and hook up something that really pulls!!

bodfish , former " there is no other kind of fishing but bass fishing" kinda guy. (I'm over it now)

PS, yeah I know MASSFISHER, I get bored at night too, Man if I knew how to type you guys would really be in for it. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,.........Hee, Hee,..?

22Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:14 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yea i hear ya man.....i have so many theories on so many fifferent things....over thinking is better than not thinking enough.

23Night Time Fishing.....My theory Empty Re: Night Time Fishing.....My theory Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:29 pm

alot of good info here and theorys.
for myself, when i think i know what i am doing out there night there is that guy that always prove you wrong. for me its my little brother.
He is the only person that i know that will fish a completely different color.
I tell him to go darker at night and he throws a sexy smelt type of color and catchs fish?
I out fish him 99% of the time but he still holds his own.
its just something to think about.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum