FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Today at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Today at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is fishin the spawn wrong!

+5
TheAsianGuy
n2deepfsw
MASSfisher
waxon67
Tubinferbass
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Is fishin the spawn wrong! Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok so I was all excited bout fishin my first bass spawn till I started askin people bout it. The more I ask bout it the more my spawn bubble gets popped. I hear stories of people landin there pd bass an seen pics of some monsters. I want some of that action the chance to catch a dd bass of a life time. Then theres the people tellin me that it takes no skill to fish beds n there tired of every body catchin dd bass n spawn n acting like there pro. To many lure companies blow up the spawn n catch huge fish to show off there new lures to get you to buy. Im all mixed up bout spawn fishin now. An the risk of hurtin the fish r messin with her spawn mode. I heard a guy put it " how would u like it to b ript outta ur bed when ur makin love fer a quick pic" what do u guys have to say on the subject??

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

2Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Screw what people say. It's a fish. Generally when you fish a bed it's only one holding there while the other is foraging. Have as much chance to catch the forager as you do the guarding fish. It's a lame argument. When you drop on cover, fish structure its all inconvenient to the fish. We are all about tricking and inconveniencing or flat out pissing off a bass. It's what we do. It's how it's done. People arguing for the kindness to bass need to send the polar bears life jackets too. I am for safe treatment of the fish. I am for the betterment of the habitat. I am for CR. I am also for landing that big one!

Fish the beds. Enjoy the spawn. As soon as the fish hits the water again its forgotten what even happened. Don't act cocky when you get your fish. Act grateful. Then send it home.

3Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:49 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

X's 2

I'm all about CPR and protecting the fish populations in both the fresh and salt but when it comes down to it: it's just a fish (like Waxon said). I suck at LMB fishing so you can bet your butt ill be using the spawn to get me a fat one.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

4Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:55 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Say it again!! Hell ya waiting all winter for the fishing to pick up? Hell ya go get a big fat grumpy a$$ bass and take a picture!!

Say it again my brothas!! Lol ok I'm a little excited...still buzzing over a new reel. He he he...

5Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:57 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:Screw what people say. It's a fish. Generally when you fish a bed it's only one holding there while the other is foraging. Have as much chance to catch the forager as you do the guarding fish. It's a lame argument. When you drop on cover, fish structure its all inconvenient to the fish. We are all about tricking and inconveniencing or flat out pissing off a bass. It's what we do. It's how it's done. People arguing for the kindness to bass need to send the polar bears life jackets too. I am for safe treatment of the fish. I am for the betterment of the habitat. I am for CR. I am also for landing that big one!

Fish the beds. Enjoy the spawn. As soon as the fish hits the water again its forgotten what even happened. Don't act cocky when you get your fish. Act grateful. Then send it home.
X3

6Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah im all for c n r an a quick pic. Im deff gunna fish the spawn for those dd bass. I brought it it to one of my dads buddy n he said n I quote " s**t boy thats like tellin me I cant get my 10 point n the rut!!! Ive been waitin all dam year for this!" lol so it looks like he might b fishin with me Smile

Last edited by Tubinferbass on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

7Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:Screw what people say. It's a fish. Generally when you fish a bed it's only one holding there while the other is foraging. Have as much chance to catch the forager as you do the guarding fish. It's a lame argument. When you drop on cover, fish structure its all inconvenient to the fish. We are all about tricking and inconveniencing or flat out pissing off a bass. It's what we do. It's how it's done. People arguing for the kindness to bass need to send the polar bears life jackets too. I am for safe treatment of the fish. I am for the betterment of the habitat. I am for CR. I am also for landing that big one!

Amen! We're doing the same thing for panfish. We literally float on top of the beds, and have them attack our butts from below. No joke! Try the southern Bernasconi hill near the tire reef at Lake Perris during spawning season. I kid you not. They will swim 7ft from their spawning nests just to give you a butt kiss.

8Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:10 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok if everbody is down fer fishin the spawn lets talk baits.... I have heard nothin but good reviews bout the mattlures bluegill baits n think this is gunna b my go to bait. My ol man keeps sayin a huge white spinner bait is the only bait he would ever use n spawn. What would you guys use?

9Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:32 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yep..use mature gill less than 4" to piss off the bass. Better yet, rig a forward weight to mimics an injured fill. When all fails, toss a frwaking 4" worm straight dowm the spawning bed. They'll gladly the offering.

10Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:41 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Just about any bait you can drag through a bed or drop on a bed will get a hit. Its a reaction strike your after. Baits that let you cover a lot of area such as a spinner are very effective. If you can cast accurately and plant a bait on top of a bed you can get hit on a grub. Just remember the animals state of mind is "stay away, I'm busy and no trespassing" with that in mind you should do well.

11Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:44 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

what months are spawning season?

12Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 am

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Wow, tough question.

hmm...

An answer for this question is gonna vary from angler to angler.

I myself haven't tried for spawning bass. Will I ever? Don't know.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

13Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:56 am

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Aquaholic38 wrote:what months are spawning season?

Think it depends on water temp. So, I'm guessing spring time months.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

14Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:00 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

From what I have read from last years fishin reports here in socal its late feb into late march. April is the gill spawn I think thats when the post spawn bass feed on the gills.

15Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:13 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

fed when they start spawning most the time depends on water temp tho and tubin u no my answer for beddin fish and when ppl say its to easy to get beddin fish there wrong most the time sometimes ill stand in one spot tryin to get this one fish and it will take a hr or so for ONE fish and not even a big one so its not always so easy to catch bedding fish but then u get those ones that will eat it as soon as it hits the water but u can get bit like that anytime so fish the beds but put them back as soon as you can and 90% of the time u take that fish off its bed and put it back in the water hes at his bed within minutes

16Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:16 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Tubinferbass wrote:

From what I have read from last years fishin reports here in socal its late feb into late march. April is the gill spawn I think thats when the post spawn bass feed on the gills.

Sounds about right. All depends on water temps coming up and air temps coming up. Most importantly its when the temps are up and consistent.

17Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:16 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Depending mainly on temperature, and location of the water. Here are two examples:

Panfish (RedEars are a bit early spawners at 57F), cats, and carps:

Mountainous regions (Big Bear, Silverwood, Gregory):
Spawning season starts late due to the cold temperature. Spawning starts roughly between 65F to 75F. For mountain areas, that would be in late spring and will last until late fall.

Inland and coastal:
Temperature flux very little, and temperature tends to be warmer quicker. Spawning season starts when the temperature hits 67F, and not 65F. For Perris, Diamond Valley, and Lake Elsinore. Even the smaller lakes like Corona, Prado, or the city's ponds.

* Pre-spawning, they will feed when the temp stabilize at around 62F. They will feed to fatten up, especially the male, and they will go into a feeding frenzy mode.

For bass:
Stipers: Once temp hits 50F, and stabilize, they'll spawn like crazy.
Greenies: Once temp hits 55F, and stabilize, they'll spawn.

18Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:15 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Hmmmm,... bed fishin huh? OK, spent my time doin this and yes it is one of the best ways to target a trophy. here's what I know.
1) Yes you are going to disrupt and possibly harm the fish. But if you are careful and handle the fish properly it is unlikely you will permanently damage the fish or prevent them from spawning. Stories of fish being hooked multiple times and still returning to the nest undeterred are common. (been there, done that, )

2) for the most part you are probably impacting a small portion of the population, The few beds that can be sight fished represent only a small percentage of the beds not visible. (if you can see three, there are probably thirty you can't)

3) the issue of "it takes no skill" I must assume , is a remark made by people, who were fortunate enough to have had an easy time of it, because IT IS NOT EASY!! It is a learned skill and very few people I know were successful at it immediately.

4) you bet the lure companies are interested in bed fishing with their products! Especially here in SoCal where clear spring water has made California the "sight fishin" mecca.

5) My only issue at present is with the tournament anglers. Because of the need to weight the fish for competition, the spawners, (both male and female ) are removed from their spawning site and up until recently released as far as 70 miles away in an area that may or may not be conducive to the fish completing their spawn. Recently however some clubs are attempting to return the fish to the approximate areas that they were captured in. Hopefully this practice catches on where practical.

If you have never done it before here are a few things that may help you.

1) Knowing where, and how, to find the beds.
LMB's will generally spawn in shallow water. Shallow flat coves or flat topped high spots, and /or points, especially those with brush on them are prime. Favored spots may be places like the bases of trees or brush, affording them overhead cover and some shade. Typical of LMB's, close access to deep water nearby is a plus. SoCal reservoirs are typically flooded canyons as opposed to the river bottom land back east, and as such the banks here tend to be rocky and steep. As a result many spawning beds occur on small cuts or ledges along these steep banks.

Spawning beds are not difficult to spot in shallow, clear, still water.They are usually a round shaped area on the bottom that has been purposefully cleared of mud and debris, down to the hard substrate. Sometimes they are obvious by their color contrast.( or the big fat female sitting high and dry right in the middle of it!)

Spotting them on the steeper banks is more difficult, because there are fewer surface indicators as to their whereabouts. As well they tend to be a bit deeper and more scattered. I have seen beds as deep as 30' at places like Castaic and Pyramid.

Many of the more experienced bed fisherman will spend a good amount of time cruising these areas at high speed spotting the beds and then return later to fish them in a more stealthy manner, carefully planning their approach direction to maximize the number of beds they can attack. Freshly dug beds are a good indicator of occupancy, even though you may not see anyone home.

Most of the more successful bed fisherman, who have a few seasons under their belt know where the historic places are. Your job is to find them as well!! Keep a good journal, have a detailed map or GPS with you, record your discoveries. An empty bed today could be a boon tomorrow.

2) Approach and Presentation.
Many fisherman will approach a large historic spawning area especially one that is too deep, murky or has surface disruption from wind or wave, and cover it from a distance, fanning their casts and hoping to pull their baits onto a nest. Places like Frank's Tract on the California Delta is a prime example of this.

But when the conditions are right they will "sight fish" these areas, creeping about as quietly as possible.
Many will "duck pole" to avoid using their electric motors. Again depending on condition Frank's Tract is one of the prime sight fishing locations in the country. Silence in the boat is crucial. Have your gear well placed and keep your movement in the boat to a minimum! For the most part there is really no reason to use your meter, until after you have fished the areas, so most don't even turn it on.

One of the most critical pieces of equipment you MUST have, is a pair of polarized sunglasses, for locating the beds on the bottom. Many will have them in multiple colors and densities depending on the weather conditions and sun angle.

There are many tactics for bed fishing, but in general you are trying to illicit a REACTION from the fish. The fishes' instinct is to AGGRESSIVELY defend their bed from intrusion. For the most part you are trying to place your bait in the nest and keep it there until the fish tries to remove it. When he/she does try and remove it from the nest, that is your opportunity.

Learning how to cast at a low angle, is crucial at this point. Pitchin' and flippin' is the name of the game. As well as learning how to land your bait quietly! Practice this one at home,.. Take your car keys and practice pitching your keys across the floor and landing them without a sound.

NOTE: At this point I must point out that sight fishing from a tube is difficult as far as finding the beds, and approach and presentation, but not impossible. You are just going to have to work out the logistics of being so low to the water.

There are a myriad of choices when it comes to tackle, and I won't get into that here. My personal advice is to keep the bait small, brightly colored (without being alarming) and it should have lots of passive motion. Wiggly legs, rattles, sparkles, etc., etc., (scent?) I prefer not to use trebles for a number of reasons but suffice to say that in my experience you will miss bites or lose the fish because of poor hook set. My most effective bed bait is actually a specially hand tied fly. Because of the motion of the materials and the small thin profile, the bass tend to suck it in deeper and hold on to it longer. I rarely miss.

Again, bed fishin' is a learned skill, so you need to spend your time out there. It is also one of the funnest things you will ever do with a fishin' po.!!!

bodfish

19Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:24 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

^ awesome info BOD....thanks for posting

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

20Is fishin the spawn wrong! Empty Re: Is fishin the spawn wrong! Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:37 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great info.!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum