FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC

+9
Lok Dog
n2deepfsw
Hammer 4
IN2DEEP
jeffcpr
ed5000x
Aquaholic38
waxon67
Docrunner
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:30 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Talk about jumpin' in the deep end!
What an awesome first weekend float tubing!!

Thanks to everyone here for all the great advice.. but especially thanks to Waxon, Hammer, Ed5000, and Vagabond for all the knowledge, tips, and helping me this weekend, getting my tube wet finally!

I didn't have much time yesterday (Sat), so I just wanted to make sure I can float. Only had about an hour on the water. I was tossing a 3/8oz warbait skirt swim jig, but Mr. Hammer hooked me up with the winner bait.. a 3" Big Hammer #15 Spottie Special. 1st cast... HIT! A decent small-ish halibut!! But, I fumbled the landing and the halibut came unbuttoned. Damn!! Mad

Overnight, I had some biz to do, so I only got about 3-hours sleep. Still, I managed to wake up and meet Waxon, Ed5000, and Vagabond at our local surf spot in LBC. These guys ROCK!! So cool.. and Ed hooked me up with an awesome front wheel. It kind of failed in the sand, so he swooped in for the early save with his wheeled rig!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yes.. that's right.. he's pulling 3 tubes! Rambo

What a great day! I learned a lot, and need to work on my efficiency, dealing with wind/current, and properly tightening my fins. Need to work on my kicking, and keeping an eye on my drift! I strayed from the group a few times, and I feel like I kicked to Cuba and back! The fishing was good.. lots of strikes, but couldn't seem to get anything to stick. Finally, the producer from yesterday brought in the skunk buster, a nice bass. I fumbled the landing again, when my second rod started clicking like crazy and taking out line! It was screeching something big. By the time I got my bass landed and under control, I grabbed my other rod, but whatever I had came off the hook. DAMN!! Mad

Here's a short video of the tubin' & catching this weekend.

Sorry I didn't take more pics and video this time. I'll get you guys next time!

Pretty intense first experience float tubing. Pretty much the way my hobbies go.. just all out from the start!

This pic pretty much sums up me and my hobbies:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:26 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Awesome report Doc!!! Oh buddy you did great out there! Love the sound of the that clicker going off! It only gets better from here bro! cheers

3Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:34 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hahahaha ED!! hey thats a good video! you guys by an oil island? how you got there in a tube??

4Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:17 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thats was a great time i enjoy it. only caught but tom caught all the rest lol it was great to meet doc and great to see vagabond again and he did hit me this time either lol he do a great job of driving

5Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Nice report, even though it was a short trip I am glad these guys could get you out on the water, and have such a good time. Another tuber is hooked Twisted Evil

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:55 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Aquaholic38 wrote:hahahaha ED!! hey thats a good video! you guys by an oil island? how you got there in a tube??

Ya man we'll get you out there and show you the zone. Be ready to go!!! Twisted Evil

7Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:20 am

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Glad you finally got on the water!
Cool video buddy. You moved the camera position forward in the second half?
One mistake that I see you making in landing the fish is that you are winding it too close to the tip of the rod. Leave a little more line out and lift the rod tip higher to get it in position for netting.

I'd like to tube that area. Looks like there could be more fish than LAB for sure.

Ed, 3 tubes with your wheeled tube? Shocked
We must see the write up on that one!

8Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

what do you mean write up

9Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:43 am

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice...Jay, you need to SET that hook brotha.. Cool

That's one reason I only use 1 rod at a time, plus I don't want the fish to get gut hooked.. Wink

Hope to see you guys out there again!

10Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ed5000x wrote:what do you mean write up

Ya...what do you mean write up?

11Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 am

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:

Share what you did to make it
..or is going to be a secret?

12Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

pvc and an old golf cart i had laying around in the garage that design is 1-1/2 pipe and fitting and 2 reducers from 1-1/2 -1/2 for the wheel I.D. some glue and 1 union in the middle for storage reason and if anyone needs help on a project and i can help i will i have the tools and 4 hardware stores in all directions lol

13Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon wrote:Love the sound of the that clicker going off! cheers
yeah that was exciting. I couldn't believe it at first. I was staring at the clicker thinking "no way! Sh*t. What now??" lol

IN2DEEP wrote:You moved the camera position forward in the second half?
One mistake that I see you making in landing the fish is that you are winding it too close to the tip of the rod. Leave a little more line out and lift the rod tip higher to get it in position for netting.
ha. Just 1 mistake? I'm sure there were at least a dozen others! Yeah, its very different than beaching a fish on the sand. I think these rods are 8ft6in Clarus. Too long for a tube i could tell it was awkward until i realized i could just lay the rod down in my lap. But u right, both fish i reeled in too much, and didnt handle the landing net ideally.

No, I didn't move the camera. I thought I had lost my gopro awhile back, so i got another used one on eBay. I have 1 above right shoulder and 1 down low left corner. I have them reinforced with electrical tape, but I think I want to free one up so I can dunk it (intentionally) for some underwater release footage. We'll see. I'm a bit paranoid about losing stuff.

Hammer 4 wrote:Nice...Jay, you need to SET that hook brotha.. Cool

That's one reason I only use 1 rod at a time, plus I don't want the fish to get gut hooked.. Wink

Hope to see you guys out there again!

Yeah. I was trying to on the other strikes, but thought maybe I was too quick on the hook set. By the time I got this rod in hand, I knew it was off. Do you guys wait a sec or pause your retrieve on the first tug? To let the fish eat up the swim air to the hook? I wondered if I was yanking the plastic tail out of their mouths. I've read that this is a big reason to use scents like unix utter and procure.. to keep fish interested and on the bait until it eats the hook. Makes sense?

14Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Jay, imho, you need shorter rods, i.e. 7' max, both of my bay rods are 7', but you can use a 6'6" just as well, and the 6'6" is more accurate for throwing baits in between docks, and boats.

I set the hook as soon as I feel a bite, as it sux to try and dig a hook out of their mouths. Also, all my baits for the bay are barb-less, but you need to keep the pressure on, or the fish can get off . BTW, check your PM's.. Wink

15Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:49 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

IN2DEEP wrote:
waxon67 wrote:

Share what you did to make it
..or is going to be a secret?

Lol ...was messin with ya Scott. Smiiley didn't show up! We all about the secrets yo!!

16Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:06 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Lol! That pic of Ed pulling 3 tubes is awesome!!!

17Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:10 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great video Doc!!

18Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:25 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ed5000x wrote:pvc and an old golf cart i had laying around in the garage that design is 1-1/2 pipe and fitting and 2 reducers from 1-1/2 -1/2 for the wheel I.D. some glue and 1 union in the middle for storage reason and if anyone needs help on a project and i can help i will i have the tools and 4 hardware stores in all directions lol
Picture?
Could be worth a thousand words
-What I wonder:
-What are you anchoring the axle to?
-What points are taking the pulling pressure as the axle wants to slide back as you roll thru the sand?
I'm assuming that the pontoons are resting on the axle
-Are you plugged into the bottom of the rod holders?

Enquiring minds would like to know scratch

19Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:25 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

n2deepfsw wrote:Lol! That pic of Ed pulling 3 tubes is awesome!!!

it was heavy man i am glad i did not have to pull your prowler on top of the 3 tube lol

20Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:27 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

IN2DEEP wrote:
ed5000x wrote:pvc and an old golf cart i had laying around in the garage that design is 1-1/2 pipe and fitting and 2 reducers from 1-1/2 -1/2 for the wheel I.D. some glue and 1 union in the middle for storage reason and if anyone needs help on a project and i can help i will i have the tools and 4 hardware stores in all directions lol
Picture?
Could be worth a thousand words
-What I wonder:
-What are you anchoring the axle to?
-What points are taking the pulling pressure as the axle wants to slide back as you roll thru the sand?
I'm assuming that the pontoons are resting on the axle
-Are you plugged into the bottom of the rod holders?

Enquiring minds would like to know scratch

yes they are into my rod rack i will see if i can send picture from my phone lol

21Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:31 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
OK here a picture of it on the ground by its self

22Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:32 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Simple enough and it dose great when it just my tube I am pulling but it works good to help out your buddy's when the launch it 200 yards away

23Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I also made a wheel barrel design as well I am let doc finish the final touches

24Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ed5000x wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
OK here a picture of it on the ground by its self
Looks good!
And best of all, simple
Were the side D-rings getting yanked on very hard?

On the wheel barrel design, was it awkward holding onto the tubes and pushing?

25Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Empty Re: Noob Tubin' Fool! 3/31-4/1 LAB-LBC Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

well i would think so pulling 3 tubes

and on the wheel barrel you have to ask docrunner on that it was first time out design and if the glue didnt break loose i woild only have 1 tube on mine but half way throw the wheel gave way on the wheel barrel design lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum