FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

need a little bass tackle help

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1need a little bass tackle help Empty need a little bass tackle help Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:53 pm

tjflyfisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

seeing as how im not a dedicated bass
fisherman (mostly panfish and trout is what i fish for)

im in need of some tackle help

i have a couple boxes of crankbaits like rapalas and ratl traps and a few different worms roboworms senkos and gulp power worms
but they are just for that just in case i decide to fish for bass times

so since im going to attend the workshop in sept i need to aquire some bass tackle
if i was to throw $50 at it what would you guys recommend i buy for tackle ??

keep in mind im a spin fisherman as i
do not own a jigging rod of any sort
let me know what you guys suggest to catch those so cal bass
thanks guys
tjflyfisher

2need a little bass tackle help Empty Re: need a little bass tackle help Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i would get some hook r heads and some ots baits cant go wrong with those

3need a little bass tackle help Empty Re: need a little bass tackle help Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:23 pm

sLiM562

sLiM562
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

x2 they always work on catching those bass Thumbs Up

https://www.facebook.com/addison.danh

4need a little bass tackle help Empty Re: need a little bass tackle help Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:06 pm

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

im more of a drop shotter, i like using gulps or flukes. but those ots baits work great!

5need a little bass tackle help Empty bass tackle Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:09 pm

tjflyfisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

so i checked out those ots baits

however they have an overwhelming selection of different baits so what
type works best for all around fishing??

also what would be the best two or three
colors to buy ?? and the hook r heads??
where do you buy those at and is there a specific model/weight/color to get ??

what im looking to do is to build a tackle selection to keep on my tube for all around use isabella and success lakes are my home waters so i need tackle to cover so cal water and these two central cal lakes also

thanks for any info guys

tjflyfisher

6need a little bass tackle help Empty Re: need a little bass tackle help Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Here's what I would recommend, and this would be for tackle that gives You the best chance at catching bass.

Get some size 2 owner circle hooks (these are used for drop shoting)

Get some 1/4 oz. dropshot weights, either the pencil, or bell shaped ones.

Some size 1, and 01 worm hooks, Owner or Gamie's.

Bullet weights in 3/16, 1/4, and 3/8 oz, these can be the painted or plan silver ones.

Get as many packs of Roboworms as you can, i.e. 2 to 4 packs of the flat tail 4" and the rest in 6" flat tail. Hologram Shad in 4 and 6" is a must. Aarons Magic, margarita mutalator, Grape, blue gill is a good start.

So, if you don't know how to set up a drop shot, go on you tube, and type in...drop shot, it will show you the correct way to tie the hook on, and attach the weight. tag length can vary from 6" to 2 feet, depending the the body of water. This technique is for when the fishing gets tough. Sometimes a 4" worm works best, sometimes the 6" will work, you'll have to experiment to find if either or both works.

For the bullet weights, and and worm hooks. These cane be used for Texas rigging, or T rigged as it's called sometimes. Again, look it up on you tube, there should be plenty of vids to show how it's done correctly. This is a good weedless way to fish for Bass, and just to let you know, more bass are caught with worms, than any other lure..

Again, experiment with both sizes, and colors. But to give you a starting point. If the water is stained/murky, then a darker color, such as grape, or aarons magic, or hologram shad would be best to start with, as the water clears up, and the skies are bright, then a more natural color might be best, if you have some watermelon, or pumpkin Senko's those would be good to toss.

Retrive on the drop shot. Cast out, let the bait SIT, for a min. of 1 min...after that time maybe give the rod a slight twitch, if there are no bites, then reel in 1 or 2 turns, SLOWLY. repeat.

For then Texas rigged worms, your Senko's and the roboworms will work great, retrieves should be Slow, maybe a twitch of the rod, now and then. BTW, you can use the Senko's wacky rigged on a drop shot, again you tube will show how to rig it. It doesn't matter what type of bait you use, worms, creature, craws, ect..retrieve is very important, especially in high pressured lakes. After fishing for over 40 years for bass. I can honestly tell you the above ways are your best chance at catching bass, other than using live bait. There NO garontees of catching bass, no matter what you use, it takes time on the water to lean how fish respond, what the bottom of the lake/pond is made up of, i.e weeds, wood, ect. and also what the bass forage on at certain times of the year, but more importantly how, and where to locate the bass, keep in mind, they are ambush predators, and will use anything to hid behind or in, so keep that in mind.

Above all, don't be afraid to ask questions..good luck.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum