FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fly Fishing Rod and Reel modification to .:Lolly rod rack

+3
AKStillwater
TheAsianGuy
Sheriffdad
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sheriffdad

Sheriffdad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

See post below this one to see pictures of an add on mount I made for a fly reel. It was pretty easy, except figuring out how to hold the nuts inside the pipe when securing the mount (I'm mechanically challenged). What is nice is that the mount already supply is not glued in, so all you have to do for the fly fishing modification is take the original set up off, and slide on the new set up.

The major cost is buying the mount. I got it on line through Amazon for $21.41, free shipping, and $3.22 tax. It is the "Scotty Fly Rod Holder with 241 Side Deck Mount". They actually have a fishing tube mount, but I didn't want to add a second type of mount.

The modification used: 6-1/2" (had to purchase 2' length) 2" Sch 40 ABS pipe, (1) 1-1/2 to 2" coupler, (4) 1/4 - 20 x 2" Stainless Steel Phillips Head bolts, (4) SS 1/4 - 20 lock nuts, and (1) 2" cap for the top. The Scotty mount swivels so the rod can be vertical or horizontal with no problems.

Last edited by Sheriffdad on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed img--img notification)

NulodPBall likes this post

2Fly Fishing Rod and Reel modification to .:Lolly rod rack  Empty Image link Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Sheriffdad

Sheriffdad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Pictures below.

Last edited by Sheriffdad on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found out how to post without link.)

3Fly Fishing Rod and Reel modification to .:Lolly rod rack  Empty Rod Rack add on for fly reel mount Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Sheriffdad

Sheriffdad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

OK.. I figured out the posting process so here are the pictures of the rack add on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Excellent vertical mod. Have you test the horizontal exertion strength of the rod holder to simulate a large fish, say 10lbs, tugging on your flyrod?

It seems your forward, backward, and downward holding strength appears solid. The exertion force outwards to the side may cause issues due to the bungee cord and PVC frame stability?

5Fly Fishing Rod and Reel modification to .:Lolly rod rack  Empty Modification Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Sheriffdad

Sheriffdad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

TheAsianGuy wrote:Excellent vertical mod. Have you test the horizontal exertion strength of the rod holder to simulate a large fish, say 10lbs, tugging on your flyrod?

It seems your forward, backward, and downward holding strength appears solid. The exertion force outwards to the side may cause issues due to the bungee cord and PVC frame stability?

The "extra" bungee on the top shouldn't be necessary when I am in the water. The rack was resting on the lid of my truck, so I used the cord to hold it straight. In a pool it sits fine. The side strength shouldn't be an issue either. I pulled, tugged, and twisted it every way I could and it was nice and stable. I know the holder itself won't have any issues of slippage. It is a well designed holder. Once I get it in the water, under normal conditions, I will have a better idea. I hope to hit Lake Nacimiento later this week. I will let you know if I experience any issues. Thanks for the comments.

6Fly Fishing Rod and Reel modification to .:Lolly rod rack  Empty Attachment to Tube Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:00 pm

AKStillwater

FTFF Gathering Officer

It looks sweet. Do you have it bungeed to the bottom of the float tube, how to do you keep it snug to the side?

7Fly Fishing Rod and Reel modification to .:Lolly rod rack  Empty Modification Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:02 am

Sheriffdad

Sheriffdad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

AKStillwater wrote:It looks sweet. Do you have it bungeed to the bottom of the float tube, how to do you keep it snug to the side?

Yes, it has two 40" bungee cords securing the bottom. There are two lugs on the bottom of the rack to connect to, and the other end connects to the eye rings on the opposite side of the tube. It keeps it very secure.

.:LOLLY:.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice job Mike it came out super nice Thumbs Up

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Very nice setup! Great job Mike! Love working and making things with ABS and PVC pipe.

Sheriffdad

Sheriffdad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

wiseguy wrote:Very nice setup! Great job Mike! Love working and making things with ABS and PVC pipe.

Thanks.

I grew up in Downey, just on the east side of I-5 (used to be El Camino Real, then 101), just off Paramount.. Lived there from 1950 - 1972, Good memories.

11Fly Fishing Rod and Reel modification to .:Lolly rod rack  Empty Modification Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:53 am

Sheriffdad

Sheriffdad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

.:LOLLY:. wrote:Nice job Mike it came out super nice Thumbs Up

I had a great platform to work with. Your rod racks are really well put together. Thanks again.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thank Mike. I appreciate the kind words and I'm happy you enjoy it.

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

looks good

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

thats very clever!!!!!

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Sheriffdad wrote:
I grew up in Downey, just on the east side of I-5 (used to be El Camino Real, then 101), just off Paramount.. Lived there from 1950 - 1972, Good memories.

I wasnt even conceived yet until 1978! Red Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum