FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by Troutbum Today at 5:41 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Yesterday at 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bungee Cords

+3
dayhut
.:LOLLY:.
jjvalencia
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bungee Cords Empty Bungee Cords Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

jjvalencia

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Question about bungee cords I have a 24" bungee from my rid rack to the other side of my tube its a cumberland. Is that too much pressure acting on the bladder or will affect anything or will it be fine? Is there a better way to make the rack sturdier? Thanks anything is much appreciated!salute

2Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Without seeing it, it just sounds really tight since the tube itself is pretty wide. Some pictures would help find you a proper solution. What is "wrong" with your rack and what are you trying to achieve?

3Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 pm

jjvalencia

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

.:LOLLY:. wrote:Without seeing it, it just sounds really tight since the tube itself is pretty wide. Some pictures would help find you a proper solution. What is "wrong" with your rack and what are you trying to achieve?
I put a slanted rod holder for my net the rack is on the left side and the rack slants to the left side so I put a screw eye on the bottom as centered as possible and ran a bungee underneath the tube. I will take pictures tommorow an post. Thank You

4Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Watching this one.... thanks fellas.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

5Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

When you're running a bungee cord from one side of the tube to the other, at the top, you're place a bit of stress on the bladder, but not enough to create possible bladders failure. However, you are causing the surface abrasion on your bladders cover as the cord rubs back and forth. This will reduce your tube's material lifespan at the contact point. If you're planning to run it below, same thing. Another thing about having a bungee cord  holding down the rack is you're forcing two sides of the tube to come together under the tension of the cord. That decreases the effectiveness of the tube gliding through water, such as directional control and stability. This is why modding your tube for racks on both sides, we utilize a crossbar behind the seat. This stabilizes the racks during movements, as well as create an additional holding capacity for your rack overall weights.

For a Cumberland, there are plenty of space in the back of the seat for housing the net there, to get the net out of the way, preserving that empty spot for the spare rod, or just an empty location for rod holding during trolling. A large net sticking out on one side will create too much instability, unless the net is one of those small short handle trout net. In either case, toss the net in the back of you, or mount the net running horizontally with your bladder on either side.

6Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That all depends on how tight your bungee is pulling. Mine is just tight enough to hold the rack vertical but not enough to torque on the bladders. It also depends on what type of bungees you're using since some stretch easier than others. I've use my tube with and without my rack and have not noticed any distinctive differences. I hold 3 rods, lip gripper, pliers, & a knife and still cruise happily through the water.

7Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:20 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ah, there you go Lolly. You're traveling light..minus the 3 tuna rods Wink

He's asking about a net, possibly angling 45° back/forward, standing high, creating weigh-burden which causes the rack to lean to the left. Rod is weight is light, in comparison to the net. If the net is sitting lower based on the handle, it wouldn't be a problem. Creating a quick mount/holding system to the side will stabilize out the rack, without the need for the cords.

I believe a few of us uses the cords here to hold down the racks, but we're also going light. I think he's going with a moderate weight-stress on the rack, with high profile.

8Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 pm

jjvalencia

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks let me post the pics. I may have to go get maybe a 36" bungee but here let me show you Guys how it looks.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

9Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 pm

jjvalencia

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

i have two 24" bungees one that wraps around one of the bladders and the other that goes beneath.

10Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:45 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

With that layout, the stressor points are very minor as long as you don't over tug the cords. If you worry about abrasion with that set up, get a $0.99 floating noodle a the local Dollar Tree store, super glue it a thin layer of the noodle around the contact points body, and the abrasion will pretty much be eliminated.

11Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:51 pm

jjvalencia

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

TheAsianGuy wrote:With that layout, the stressor points are very minor as long as you don't over tug the cords. If you worry about abrasion with that set up, get a $0.99 floating noodle a the local Dollar Tree store, super glue it a thin layer of the noodle around the contact points body, and the abrasion will pretty much be eliminated.

GOOD IDEA I WILL DO THAT I MAY ALSO JUST GET A 36" BUNGEE AS WELL TO RELEASE A LITTLE BIT MORE PRESSURE. THANK YOU

12Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:29 am

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I just ordered some raw bungee and connectors from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and custom made mine to fit.  Inexpensive and easy to make!

13Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Shorter caribiners will also help you out straighten your rod rack. Since it sits pretty low, the curvature of the tube pushes the top of the rack out. By getting shorter caribiners it'll lift the rack placing the bottom of the rack at the part that sticks out the furthest on your tube. This way you will need less pressure to keep your rack vertical

14Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:55 pm

jjvalencia

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Awesome thanks guys!

15Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:23 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
perhaps you might consider using D ring patches and tie down straps instead of bungees at all. The D ring patches are a cinch to install (just glue them on!) and the tie down straps are quantumly stronger and more reliable than bungees. Check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on the net and you'll see what I mean. Bungees are, no Bueno! 

bodfish

16Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:44 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

You might want to make sure the hooks are not digging into the tube fabric.  Just turn them out.  I'm with Gatorfan on the home-made bungees.  I bought 50' of 1/4" marine grade cord for like $15 on ebay. I buy cheap dollar-store bungees and cut off the hooks. Make them any length you need.  The stuff really comes in handy.  

Also, I use Velcro tape to attach the rack to the D-rings.  You can make them any length you need to get the right lean on the rods.  I like mine to lean slightly away from me. As long as you use 3/4 inch tape and overlap the ends at least 1.5 inch there is no way it will let loose. The stuff is really cheap at Walmart.

17Bungee Cords Empty Re: Bungee Cords Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:49 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I like the D Ring patches...

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum