FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Log in

I forgot my password



Latest topics

» Done did it again
by Jerdon Yesterday at 2:47 pm

» SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 2:34 pm

» Float Plus soon available in the US
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» Zipper Corrosion
by Litefoot Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:12 pm

» The 11th Annual FTFF Toy Drive
by Test Tackles Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:20 pm

» You guys ever see this site?
by jeffcpr Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 pm

» This just in!!!
by Test Tackles Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:32 pm

» New tuber and member from southern california
by Only Dinkss Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:12 pm

» 09-20 Newport Beach Harbor Night Sesh
by Only Dinkss Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:50 am

» Newport Beach Harbor Report 09-19
by Only Dinkss Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:29 pm

» Full Gigbob 2.0 Review
by jeffcpr Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 pm

» New fly reel in the mail
by Troutbum Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:50 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner


Clearance Banner


You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube, Pontoon, and Equipment Related Discussions » How do you keep the fish you catch on your float tube? Questions about creel

How do you keep the fish you catch on your float tube? Questions about creel

+2
Misfit_Angler138
Al_G19
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Al_G19

Al_G19
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Hello all,
I just recently found this forum I have only been float tubing for two years now and just recently scored a Cumberland for 90.00 brand new off of craigslist, what an upgrade from sitting waist deep in the water!

Anyway, my question is about how you all keep the fish you catch while on your tube. I was out this last week and caught my limit of Trout but once when I lifted the stringer one fish snapped his head and was able (I am guessing) snap his lip and off he swam.
I have been looking at the Buck's bags creel that goes on the side of your tube. I was wondering what methods you guys are using.

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
bleed them out asap.
2 reasons for this.
1. no stringer or basket necessary, you can keep them in the mesh platform with no worries.
2. The fish do not stress as much and go into shock which causes the meat to get mushy .
it keeps the meat nice

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
A few methods:

1. Custom made PVC-floating noodle-Walmart hamper live well, keep alive until bring in to shore..kill before taking out of water and into cooler.
2. Wire mesh floating basket ($10), keep alive until bring in to shore..kill before taking out of water and into cooler.
3. Run the line from mouth through gill plate (dead in 20 minutes).
4. Put all catches in a smaller cooler in the back of tube. Plenty of room there.

Al_G19

Al_G19
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Mikem909 wrote:bleed them out asap.
2 reasons for this.
1. no stringer or basket necessary, you can keep them in the mesh platform with no worries.
2. The fish do not stress as much and go into shock which causes the meat to get mushy .
it keeps the meat nice
How do you bleed them out? just cut under the head area?

Guest


Guest
I used a floating Wire Mesh basket .. worked great , but as others said make sure to bleed out the fish or kill them ASAP

You can find instructional videos all over you tube for bleeding out all kinds of fish



WES

bodfish


Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
hey Guys,
for the rare occasions when I do harvest for smoking, especially at places like Irvine or Laguna Niguel, I use a diver's mesh game bag. (16"x24") that I clip with a biener and a short leash to my toon. 

   bodfish

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Mikem909 wrote:bleed them out asap.
2 reasons for this.
1. no stringer or basket necessary, you can keep them in the mesh platform with no worries.
2. The fish do not stress as much and go into shock which causes the meat to get mushy .
it keeps the meat nice
How do you bleed them out? just cut under the head area?
Yes, or u can just cut each gill. 
i actually cut throught the gills enter on ome side and exit the other gill

TheReelFishPosse

TheReelFishPosse
FTFF Gathering Officer
Some interesting ideas here that I had not thought of.  I have used the wire baskets in the past.  Pretty easy to use and get the fish in the basket.  Sometimes if you are fishing in the weed beds though, it does attract weeds or grass and then you are pulling them along also.  Also, have used Bucks Bags Creel.  Nice setup.  The one I have used though can sometimes be a struggle getting the Velcro mouth of the bag open and handle the fish at the same time.

http://thereelfishposse.blogspot.com

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Some interesting ideas here that I had not thought of.  I have used the wire baskets in the past.  Pretty easy to use and get the fish in the basket.  Sometimes if you are fishing in the weed beds though, it does attract weeds or grass and then you are pulling them along also.  Also, have used Bucks Bags Creel.  Nice setup.  The one I have used though can sometimes be a struggle getting the Velcro mouth of the bag open and handle the fish at the same time.
Ya, I Use To Use Baskets And Stringers. But Then My Catch Would Go.into Shock N The Stress On The Body Causes The Meat To.Get Mushy N Imho It DoesNt Taste As Good. So Now I Just Bleed Them out

Al_G19

Al_G19
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Lost another trout today via my clip on stringer, decided to go with the floating fish basket.
Thanks to all for the replies.

Idratherbefishing


Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
i use the basket as well just put some empty water bottles in it and it floats beats dragging that grass around

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum