FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Today at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Swimbaits! Gear needed, rod, reel, mono, braid.....

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Yo whats up everyone,

Hope all is well, i have a quick question....so id like to start throwing those big swimbaits.... Thumbs Up  try and see if i can land me a nice PIG!.... Twisted Evil 

What did you guys reccomend....gonna try to work with with i already have or buy it the fred hall show.... Thumbs Up 

Rod ?
Reel, Chronarch201e7, going to respool today
Mono? what test
Braid? what test

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for reading...

Tony G

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

what size baits do u wanna throw n if u wanna catch a pig i would suggest throwing a jig then a swimbait u can go months without even getting a bite on a swimbait or maybe start throwin little 4 or 6in baits before u move up to the bigger baits

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Depends on how big of a swimbait you wanna throw

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Hey Fisher & Chomps..

I just picked up a couple savage swimbaits, think theyre like 8-9 inches....

and should it be braid or mono

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I think they are the savage gear 3d line throughs. They are about 3 to 3 1/2 oz depending on which rate of fall.

Okuma guide select in the heavy ( 1 -6oz lure rating) or extra heavy (2-10oz lure rating) would do the job. it's about $139 on tw but you can probably find it cheaper

For the reel I suggest you go in the 300 to 400 size the chronarch would burn out tossing the heavy baits. Daiwa lexa 300 is a good choice runs about $ 140 to 150 on eBay w/ free shipping ... Shimano Cardiff is another good choice also

For line I would go 25lb copoly you won't really need to go braid unless your throwing topwater baits

Hope this helps bro

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Chomps wrote:I think they are the savage gear 3d line throughs. They are about 3 to 3 1/2 oz depending on which rate of fall.

Okuma guide select in the heavy ( 1 -6oz lure rating) or extra heavy (2-10oz lure rating) would do the job.  it's about $139 on tw but you can probably find it cheaper

For the reel I suggest you go in the 300 to 400 size the chronarch would burn out tossing the heavy baits.  Daiwa lexa 300 is a good choice runs about $ 140 to 150 on eBay w/ free shipping ... Shimano Cardiff is another good choice also

For line I would go 25lb copoly you won't really need to go braid unless your throwing topwater baits

Hope this helps bro

salute MONEY!!!

yeah those are the line through ones....and okay, i have a couple corvalus 300 400..and will do on the line 25....u da man CHOMPS! u explaned that well!!! good lookin out bro

Thumbs Up 

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i wouldnt waste your money on a swimbait rod if u have a jig or flippin rod already that will work specially for 8in baits i throw 8oz baits on a powell endurace rated up to 1oz and my other rod shimano crucial (old one) rated up to 1 3/4oz or somethin like that n both rods toss the baits just fine for line use sunline 25lb those line thru baits r light so i would throw those on 16lb sunline maybe 20lb and get a lexa 300 u wont be disappointed i dont like the shimano 300 really

Fisher nailed it on the head , Getting into swimbaits will take a lot of $$ , you will have a higher percentage of a big bite on a jig , rather then a swimbait . Also dont count out the 4-6" baits as was stated I have caught a ton of DD fish on small baits right next to guys throwing 8-11" swimbaits.

Just my 2 cents . not the size that matters just the way you work it man Wink

Wes

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Fisher wrote:i wouldnt waste your money on a swimbait rod if u have a jig or flippin rod already that will work specially for 8in baits i throw 8oz baits on a powell endurace rated up to 1oz and my other rod shimano crucial (old one) rated up to 1 3/4oz or somethin like that n both rods toss the baits just fine for line use sunline 25lb those line thru baits r light so i would throw those on 16lb sunline maybe 20lb and get a lexa 300 u wont be disappointed i dont like the shimano 300 really

Sounds good Fisher...maybe this weekend at the Fred H Show....thanks for your input Fisher much appreciated! Thumbs Up 

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey fisher witch sunline are you using? I was thinking of getting some of the defier armilo but haven't heard much about it I think their the smallest diameter line I seen so far that would be perfect for my z200

tubefish

tubefish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have been fishing with big baits for a long time now. I used a MH rod with big 4 ounce baits. It REALLY puts a strain on the rod and Yourself. I finally invested in a nice swimbait rod and I am never going back. There is a reason why they make swimbait rods for the big swimbaits. It's not a cheap area to get into but, its a lot of fun. and addicting. i use a phenix 790H Ultra swimbait rod. rated 2-8 ounce. paired with a lexa 300 and 30lb izorline MONO. i havent ever lost a fish on straight mono. Don't use braid because if you backlash on a cast, you have a large chance of the braid Snapping. my friend lost 3 rats in one weekend because of that. (80 lb. powerpro).

my rod is $270
reel was $150
line isn't really a cost but $15 for a spool??
for starter swimbaits, the line through savage gear swimbaits are awesome. they have been catching big fish lately.
some good ones to get are
Huddleston 8" $30
huddleston 6" $16
huddleston 68 $25
huddleston shad $6

Spro bbz-1 8" and 6"

Lunker punker 8" and 6"
wood or g2 work fine
plastic ones range from $15-$30
wood range from $40-60

rats are a must. i can get you a good deal on a rat. (most cost 60 up) but i can get you one for $45. but in stores they range from $60-200

Ms Slammers $35-$75 are good

river2sea s-waver $15-$20

depending on your budget there are a lot of great baits.

there are so many different catagories in this swimbait type of fishing.

what is your total budget for rod, reel, line, and baits? i'll do some research and make a match for you. I hope this kind of helped. the bigger baits are more expensive but you can run into some awesome fish

there are good rods for swimbaits that can range from $80-150.

but i can't start making a list without a budget :p

http://www.austinlures.webs.com

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

tubefish wrote:I have been fishing with big baits for a long time now. I used a MH rod with big 4 ounce baits. It REALLY puts a strain on the rod and Yourself. I finally invested in a nice swimbait rod and I am never going back. There is a reason why they make swimbait rods for the big swimbaits. It's not a cheap area to get into but, its a lot of fun. and addicting. i use a phenix 790H Ultra swimbait rod. rated 2-8 ounce. paired with a lexa 300 and 30lb izorline MONO. i havent ever lost a fish on straight mono.  Don't use braid because if you backlash on a cast, you have a large chance of the braid Snapping. my friend lost 3 rats in one weekend because of that. (80 lb. powerpro).

my rod is $270
reel was $150
line isn't really a cost but $15 for a spool??
for starter swimbaits, the line through savage gear swimbaits are awesome. they have been catching big fish lately.
some good ones to get are
Huddleston 8" $30
huddleston 6" $16
huddleston 68 $25
huddleston shad $6

Spro bbz-1 8" and 6"

Lunker punker 8" and 6"
wood or g2 work fine
plastic ones range from $15-$30
wood range from $40-60

rats are a must. i can get you a good deal on a rat. (most cost 60 up) but i can get you one for $45. but in stores they range from $60-200

Ms Slammers $35-$75 are good

river2sea s-waver $15-$20

depending on your budget there are a lot of great baits.

there are so many different catagories in this swimbait type of fishing.

what is your total budget for rod, reel, line, and baits? i'll do some research and make a match for you. I hope this kind of helped. the bigger baits are more expensive but you can run into some awesome fish

there are good rods for swimbaits that can range from $80-150.

but i can't start making a list without a budget :p

DAMN, Tubefish, this is good $hit bro, great work and thanks for the breakdown!!!!  cheers 

K since it sounds like ill have to spend some cash...lets say ill put my budget at like 250 for both reel and rod....

i have the following reels

400 corvalus
Chronarch201e7
3000 Sahara

will any of these work lol or do i need to get a new one...good thing Fred Hall show is this week.

gotta put that skin into the game if you wanna play with the big stuff , or at least do it correctly . I was looking at a $350 Budget and I was just like no Ty , I will catch the big ones with my jig rods  Thumbs Up 

Once you Dive into it , remember you will be addicted lol

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The corvalus should be fine just get a rod

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Chomps wrote:The corvalus should be fine just get a rod

For shizz....just got back from longfin...i told them my corvalus was a righty...he said bring them in and ill change them for a lefty....fkkn money Thumbs Up 

Fishingdachronarch201E7 wrote:

For shizz....just got back from longfin...i told them my corvalus was a righty...he said bring them in and ill change them for a lefty....fkkn money Thumbs Up 

Eric over there is awesome, he's always hooking me up.
If you want a true swimbait rod wait into they have there shimano day and get a g-loomis 956c. That's what I did last year and have it paired with a revo 50. Use for LMG or calicos.

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

miller wrote:
Fishingdachronarch201E7 wrote:

Eric over there is awesome, he's always hooking me up.  
If you want a true swimbait rod wait into they have there shimano day and get a g-loomis 956c. That's what I did last year and have it paired with a revo 50. Use for LMG or calicos.

Hey whats up miller!!!!!

Oh for sure Eric is way cool  Thumbs Up ....hes hooked me up huge....one of my dumb$hit cousins stepped on my convergence shimano rod and broke it...since i bought it their took it back hoping i would pay for them to fix it and he was like ill just trade it out for a new one Thumbs Up hes the man....and yeah i hear you...their salez are great...buy new rod n reel every time they have their sale in sept... Thumbs Up 

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i just use sunline mono the cheapest stuff but the best haha

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Fisher wrote:i just use sunline mono the cheapest stuff but the best haha

LOL LOL for sure, I put 20lb maxima on it....used it this past wednesday on some 3oz 8inch swimbait at Laguna Niguel Lake and did the job, didnt catch anything but i want really expecting anything, just sort took it out to get acustomed to throwing them before i take them to like perris...but it was pretty badass as i had some huge effn chasers, i was like oh hell! take it!!!!!

good stuff!

Tony G

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum