FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

A week of fishing at my new home Lake

+3
jeffcpr
Jerdon
Mikeotunakiller
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A week of fishing at my new home Lake Empty A week of fishing at my new home Lake Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Mikeotunakiller

Mikeotunakiller
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted any reports and shared stories.  I have been busy with moving to my new home at Canyon Lake and I took a trip to Bishop (which was amazing camping trip, caught over 50 trout that trip).

This past week I have had the opportunity to fish a few days and give my new lake a try.  Let me tell you, bass fishing is a whole different ball game lol.  Especially since the days i was fishing, it was close to 100 degrees and the water temp is super warm, not sure what the exact temp is though.  My first day I decided to just fish from the shore around 3pm, throwing a D&M Piranha bladed swim jig that was a blue gill color.  I fished for about 3hrs with no luck until about 6, I caught a nice large mouth maybe 2-3lbs.  I was super stoked, I was figuring it would have been a skunk day.

Day number two, I decided to take out my float tube and fish a part of the lake that is dedicated to slalum water skinging.  I launched around 7am and for the first 2.5 hours I didn't get any bites.  There was fish jumping every where!  But they didn't want what I had to offer.  I was throwing a crankbait and pitching a texas-rigged worm into the brush and wood around the lake.  I finally made it to one of the floating docks out in the middle of the lake, that has a lifeguard tower on it and pitched the worm to the shady side and let it drop, on the sink I was hit by a large bass and I was able to get him in.  He was probably around 4-4.5lbs, I was once again stoked!  I fished the dock for about another 15mins, should have had 3 more but they all popped off while trying to land them.  I decided to end that day, because it started to get very hot and the action had died.

I went out the very next day at the same spot and got out around 6am, a lot of activity in the water.  They were about 5 other float tubers out, all were very nice people and talked to them, asking for advice since this bass thing is still very new to me.  Around 7:30 I got my first bass, I caught him on a chartreuse crank bait.  It probably weighed probably around a lb.  I was a very happy man.  I continued fishing pitching a bluegill colored jig around any cover I could find and had a few bites but was a little slow on hooking them.  I ended the day around 10am and only had the one fish.

Day four of fishing, I ended up doing a night session with my younger brother and dad.  We went and fished off one of the docks that is open to fish and were hunting catfish.  We were using marshmallow and shrimp.  The fishing was slow at first but we ended up catching 3 decent size channel catfish.  It was a great night of fishing.  Just kicking back, smoking cigars and enjoying the beautiful night.

I am still trying to learn this whole bass fishing thing.  When it comes to fishing trout and any ocean species, I consider my self an expert, but large mouth bass on the other hand, lol, still working on that.

Here is are some pics of the bass I caught.

First bass around 2-3lbs caught on a bluegill colored bladed swim jig.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2nd bass around 4-5lbs caught on a texas-rigged worm:

3rd bass around a lb caught on a chartreuse crankbait:

And the catfish not sure about the weight caught on a marshmallow and shrimp:

I want to try lake perris out since I live closer now, If any of you are going to go fishing some time soon, let me know.  I probably will be picking your brain on catching  bass and would love to be shown the ropes.  

I hope you all have a great day.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great report and pics, thanks for sharing.
I was wondering where you've been.

I live close to Perris, was thinking tomorrow AM.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Looks like you found yourself a new honey hole buddy

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

way cool! good job!

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Big mikeO

Good stuff bro!!!...nice fatty on 4-5lbr....see u at jess ranch in 2 weeks....

Tony g

Mikeotunakiller

Mikeotunakiller
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

What time jerdon? I can fishi until 11am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

6 AM

I sent you a PM with contact info

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice to see you learning the fish at your new home  Very Happy 

Nice Report MikeO , always fun learning new waters and especially learning how to catch a newer species of fish to add to our lists . from what I hear and Read using the same kind of soft plastics , lures in the bay will get you fish in the freshwater areas  Thumbs Up  , just take into account clearer lakes are hot for fishing lighter gear (especially line 6lb) and smaller plastics (4") will bring up some toads .

Keep it simple and don't over think : blue/black jigs especially on rocks (they match crawfish perfect) Especially @ Perris . robo worms (morning Dawn in color , Darker Greens )

If you like the Reaction bite , then KVD short bill cranks and LC Jerk baits in Sexy Shad and golds /black . also a Zara Spook in Foxy Shad will give you some heart pounding blow ups . if you have the Coin then invest into alabama rig fishing . man i need to get on this train before it passes me by !

Thats a few baits I always have with me and tied on a rod . I Prefer the Reaction baits over plastic 10-1 as the bites are amazing and in the long run it is cheaper then buying bags of plastics that Tear many of times after catching 1 fish ..

Just my 2 cents , if you want to hit perris up, I am free mostly Sunday's and either tuesday or wednesday during the week , that day off always changes

WES

10A week of fishing at my new home Lake Empty Re: A week of fishing at my new home Lake Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:40 am

Mikeotunakiller

Mikeotunakiller
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks for the great tips Wise! Very informative. I figured it will be a bit before I can fully update my bass tackle, after the move, money is sparse. I'm down to fish any time during the week, since right now I work weekends. I think this coming Weds I'm meeting up with Jerry and Patrick again and fishing Perris, if you have it off, you should join us.

11A week of fishing at my new home Lake Empty Re: A week of fishing at my new home Lake Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

x2

Thanks for the tips Wes, and I hope you can join us.

12A week of fishing at my new home Lake Empty Re: A week of fishing at my new home Lake Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:13 pm

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great report! I envy you, that lake is loaded with toad bass! I have a buddy that fishes it with his friend that lives there also. Wish it was open to the public.

13A week of fishing at my new home Lake Empty Re: A week of fishing at my new home Lake Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Wednesday you say , man i work 6-2pm .. I could only stop by after that .. but there is a magic hr there around 3pm that the bass crush baits  Thumbs Up 

14A week of fishing at my new home Lake Empty Re: A week of fishing at my new home Lake Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Mikeotunakiller

Mikeotunakiller
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I noticed the same thing with Canyon lake, 3pm and the bass move up shallow a little and start eating. I ended up fishing again yesterday and hooked three, lost two landed one little one. One of the bass was a larger one, wouldn't be surprised if it was 6lbs or larger, but I left my net at home and had him on real light gear, so trying to get him in was very difficult lol. He ended up spitting the hook after jumping a foot away. Maybe I can make it an all day affair lol.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum