FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

SFD 2/15/15

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SFD 2/15/15 Empty SFD 2/15/15 Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:09 pm

dondraper

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I decided to follow the lead of GT and Wiseguy.  Grabbed me a blue and chrome Rat-L-Trap, headed to SFD and the 2015 skunk is OFF!!!!!!!  A huge thanks to GT and Wiseguy for their reports, very much appreciated.

I hit the water close to 10, air temp ended up around 80 and the water was between 65 and 67 all day.  Visibility was nil, maybe one foot but there was a bunch of pollen on the surface so you really couldn't see much.

Took off from the boat launch and kicked out a little past the east end of the big island to cast back and fish that side of it.  Reeled back and my first cast...i got a huge birds nest.  At that point I was thinking "Great, gonna be a day like this."  

Sorted the nest out and kicked around to the north side of the big island and bing, hooked up with this little guy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It surprised me, I didn't even feel the bite.  I was reeling saw him jump out the water and let out an audible "Oh my!"  Luckily no one was around, lol.  Just a dink but I wasn't too bothered, 2015 skunk officially off.

I fished the north side of the big island without any action then headed across to the north shore.  My strategy was to stay a good cast away from the shore and just work my way east.  I ran into a guy in a boat that said he got four down on the west side by the small island and that was where the action was so I headed that way instead.  

I was just trying to keep moving and cover as much water as possible.  I got one hooked on the north shore between the two islands but I was asleep at the wheel and he came unbuttoned.  

Found a spot close to the small island with some reeds and fished it for a while.  Got my bait stuck in the reeds, freed it, kicked back out and on the next cast hooked up with this guy.  

Still small but a littler better than the first and definitely got my confidence up.  The Rat-L-Trap was working!

There was a guy in a bass boat planted on the east side of the small island drop shotting.  looked like he had been in that one spot for while, he said he got 6 small ones.  Told me he hooked one more when I passed by him on the way out.

So I was moving down the north shore and got about 25' or 30' past the small isalnd (I am counting them both as one) and saw another spot with some reeds.  Figured I would fish to those reeds and head back, I was getting hungry and burned.  

Got to the reeds and threw the trap out, let it sink for a couple seconds started reeling and I felt it, a big THUD.  Set the hook, kept fighting and landed this guy.

Guy put up a good fight and took me a minute to get him in the tube.  I don't have a scale but he was chunky and I'm guessing close to 2lbs.  I let out a WOOT after that, but this time didn't care if anyone else was around.

Here is a couple more pics.

After that I headed back.  I was fishing the way back and threw my Rat-L-Trap into a tree.  Will be picking up some more of those.

All the fish I caught today were pretty close to the shore.  I tried a couple different retrieves but what worked best for me was a long cast at 45 degrees to the shore.  Let it sink for a second or two then reel it in a steady pace.

Probably gonna hit this place again in a couple weeks when I get some more Rat-L-Traps.

2SFD 2/15/15 Empty Re: SFD 2/15/15 Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:39 pm

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER
Fishermen of the Year 2014

WTG dondraper Thumbs Up awesome report bro, If you would like some company next time let me know bro and I will meet you there. I have been wanting to hit SFD, I have never been there before and that lake is on my 2015 schedule

3SFD 2/15/15 Empty Re: SFD 2/15/15 Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:35 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great day on the water and thanks for sharing dondraper!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum