FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Braided Fishing Lines

+6
GT
supsurfer
Tony G Fishing
atavuss
filippodg
jeffcpr
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Braided Fishing Lines Empty Braided Fishing Lines Sun May 17, 2015 9:17 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This topic was discussed before but I wanted to raise it again. Who uses braid and what type do you use and why do you prefer it over Mono. I am planning to upgrade soon so I am looking for help and information thanks.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Sun May 17, 2015 9:35 pm

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I started fishing a little over a year ago and started with a spinning setup with mono. After snapping lines infinite times over weeds & algae, and seeing my fishing buddy doing so well with braided, never breaking line, and never losing lures, I made the switch too. I didn't like braid on a spinning reel and I knew it was time to switch to a baitcasting reel too. I never looked back. Braid = thinner, stronger, almost non-existent line memory, and more line capacity. I tie braid to a fluori leader and I'm set. Mono Vs Fluoro? Fluori is virtually transparent compared to mono = more catch. I use 50lb braid on my Daiwa Tatula 100 and 30lb braid on my Shimano Chronarch 51E. I also use 50lb braid on all of my saltwater setups. The only saltwater reel that has 20lb mono is my Avet SX reel, which I use solely for live bait or bottom fishing (not casting). Once you know how to use a baitcasting reel and avoid backlashes, you'll appreciate the strength of braided line over mono. And finally, the only time I use mono leader is for those fish who aren't line shy (bottom fishing). Smile

Last edited by filippodg on Sun May 17, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

3Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Sun May 17, 2015 9:40 pm

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Also, I tried Spiderwire, PowerPro, and Suffix 832.

Spiderwire = I like it, cheaper, but I'm not a huge fan. Fishing buddy hates it, thinks the product is junk, and line specs are wrong from what they advertise.

PowerPro = I initially thought it was garbage after numerous bad casts and backlashes, but it wasn't the line the issue, it was me. Wink I like it now.

Suffix 832 = Love it. I have PowerPro on my Chronarch 51E but I just bought Suffix 832 which I'll be replacing this week. It's the only brand that carries the Neon Lime color, which I love.

4Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 9:22 am

atavuss

atavuss
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I use Power Pro on multiple reels (Abu Garcia Revo SX and Shimano Tekota 300LC) for Striper, Salmon, Trout.  Never had a line break when using Power Pro.  I also use fluorocarbon for leaders.  Less stretch and better hook ups.  
Also consider upgrading your snaps and swivels to eliminate that weak point.  I also upgrade hooks and split rings on certain Striper lures to eliminate that weak point.  
I use 50 lb. Power Pro on Abu Garcia Revo SX reels and tie large custom wooden top water lures for Stripers directly to the braid to eliminate leader breakage and better lure action (don't want to risk losing expensive top water striper lures)
For spinning reels I use fluorocarbon only.

5Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 9:47 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

I started like flippdog, also with spinning and nothing but mono but over the last 2 years like him ive lost lures and have been broken off numerous times Evil or Very Mad so slowly but gradually ive been putting braid on all my reels...

Salt Ocean
Newest Addition to come Twisted Evil AVET JX 6.0 ill have Power pro 65lbs, on order, just seeing if it can be anodized in ORANGE, hell yeah!!! LOL
Shimano cardiff 201 and 301 both with 50lb Power pro/White
Shimano Cardiff 401 50lb Power Moss Green

Salt Bay/Fresh
Shimano Chronarch201E7 Power Pro 30Lb Moss Green
Shimano Caenen Power pro 30lb Moss Green
Shimano Sahara 3000 Power Pro 30lb Moss Green
Shimano Sahara 2500 Power Pro 30lb Light Green

Reels to get braid
Shimano Sahara 2500
Shimano Sonora 2500

Tony G

6Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 12:39 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

How often do you guys change your braid lines? And thanks everyone for the great info so far.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 12:57 pm

supsurfer

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I use Fireline on my spinning reels. Fl Green for visability. No memory. Super strong. Not a true braid but a hybrid becuase it's fused. Starts off a little waxy. I put a top shot of FC to tie terminal tackle to.

8Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 2:30 pm

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

They say years (2-6), or until you see it breaking down or casting becomes a pain. Once you think you need to change it out, just take it off and reverse it, putting the older used part on the backing and go again.

Haven't changed mine in 1+ year, even though I'll be putting the new Suffix 832 this week just because I like the neon lime color better. Razz

9Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

OK I jumped onto the braid wagon a couple of years ago after I lost a yellowtail on 15# Izorline XXX mono filament. So I went to braid, Power Pro 40# and 80# for LMB's and saltwater. For Cali's in kelp beds its great. It's good for a lot of stuff.

BUT, you need to find the right knots for tying braid to fluro, mono, to lures and hardware. This was my biggest nightmare with braid. Its very abrasive, cuts other lines, will cut into guides(non-metallic) after prolonged use and will cut you. I have noticed that fluro doesn't seem to last as long as mono. Seems to be sensitive to sunlight. I have discussed this a few others and they tend to change out there fluro often, spool or leader line.

Now I use it for saltwater, larger species, and in kelp beds. Open water I still like mono for bait-casting and spinning.......GT

10Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 4:47 pm

filippodg

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

GT -- what knots did you end up going with at the end? Which ones work for you?

Braid to fluoro/mono knots aren't an issue with heavier line. Anything I've tried works well. However, I still can't tie an Albright knot 50lb braid to 8-10lb fluoro; it's so frustrating! A modified Albright is the only that is working for me with such a thin line.

I change my fluoro leader after every inshore trip. I change it every 2-3 fishing days at the bay.

11Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 5:21 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I use braid and tie a leader to it. Mono has way to much memory and nest on me all the time.

12Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I love the daiwa samurai braid and blackwater flouro. I dont like mono because of the stretch feels like im fishing with a rubber band lol

13Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Mon May 18, 2015 10:24 pm

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

A lot of positive feedback for braid from folks

I am in the minority, I guess.

I fish braid with a very short top shot on all my conventional reels. I like Jerry Brown spectra. It is the softest I have tried. However, I have not tried the high dollar braids.

I tried to go braid on my bait casters and just didn't like it. My first impression was that I was giving up distance. After investing in Boca OS, this was a step backwards.

Backlashes with braid are tough and expensive. I tried Jerry Brown and Suffix 832 and others. None worked for me.

I am back to Izor XXX and quite happy.

Manuel

14Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Tue May 19, 2015 8:47 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Filippodg.........mostly Albright knot for braid to fluro. OK for large diameter braid and fluro, but when I tried fine braid to light fluro, I had problems. For small species I use Izorline XXX 2#.

I use on line video sites for knots that I will try at home before I go out fishing. But if I need to tie up while fishing, I will use Albright.

15Braided Fishing Lines Empty Re: Braided Fishing Lines Tue May 19, 2015 12:15 pm

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Albright is a great knot!
I use a shortened version of it called the crazy alberto. Instead of going one way, you cross back over the wraps. I've used it for connections up to 50lbs. The key is getting consistent wraps so it synches evenly.

Another crazy knot is called the GT knot. Takes a bit more time, but when mastered, it wouldn't fail at the connection.

In regards to braid,
My personal favorite is suffix high performance braid. It's round and casts really well. However, for the price, power pro is hard to beat, but it doesn't seem to last as long as the suffix. I haven't changed my suffix in over six years on the reels that have them. The power pro, once every two years at earliest?

I use braid primarily fishing heavy structure such as deep water jetties, deep water jigging and flipping for bass.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum