FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by Ogurr38 Today at 8:12 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 12:54 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Yesterday at 11:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 pm

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:54 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fishfinders: B&W or Color? -- polorized viewing

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Fuzzytrout

Fuzzytrout
FTFF Gathering Officer

First off -- what a great forum! Been learning a bunch from all you guys and gals!!

I'm researching various fish finders for my float tube. Doing the regular investigations, checking on-line reviews and comparing models and manufacturer's response to problems.

A couple of significant things that I can't seem to find: With polarized sunglasses, does one type of screen -- one vs. the other (black and white vs. color) tend to "black out" when viewed? If so, does this phenomenon happen across all manufacturers? Nothing worse than having to remove your sunglasses or peer over the top so that you can adequately see the screen.

Also, side by side, in direct sunlight, is the brightness of a black and white screen equal to the brightness of a good color screen? Or, is one generally more bright and readable than the other? I know color is king, but if the comparable finder in black and white is just as viewable (or maybe, even more so), I'd sacrifice the color for a lower priced B&W unit.

Thanks in advance!

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great question. I'd like to know the answers too!

I have never noticed a difference between the two with glasses on.
No matter what unit you get you will have some glare when the sun right above but it's not that bad. Color is the way to go.

Agreed that color is the way to go , but i have no problem with my black and white either... soon as i find a color Hummingbird I am making the switch

Fuzzytrout

Fuzzytrout
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks guys, very much for your opinions on this.

I'm kind of surprised there's not much chat about this, but perhaps all current fish finders technically avoid the "darkened screen" when using polarized glasses. I remember my last fish finder, (a Faruno) that I had on a boat many more years ago than I'd like to remember, always suffered from the black screen.

Again, thanks for your guys' input, and tight lines and big tugs!

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I thought there would be more too.
I have the 120 Fishing Buddy, really the bottom of the line as far as fish finders go.
No problem with the screen in sunlight.

7Fishfinders:  B&W or Color? -- polorized viewing Empty I've got some input Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Fuzzytrout

Fuzzytrout
FTFF Gathering Officer

I just returned from a month-long fishing road trip that included a bit of float tubing, and just for the record (and hopefully, to help others who may have the same questions), I have the following info:

I purchased a Garmin Echomap 43DV and have mounted it to my Super Fat Cat with the FishFinderMount (great!!!, by the way!)

Even in bright sunlight, the Garmin 43DV is super bright and clear.  Polarized glasses or not, the viewing is great!  Tilting my head left or right to potentially "blacken out" the screen had no effect, I'm happy to report.  

Not sure about other brands, and how they react to polarized glasses, but in case of this Garmin Series, the viewing is bright and clear, with or without polarized glasses.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum