FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by jeffcpr Today at 11:05 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baitcasters

+3
.:LOLLY:.
Jerdon
Test Tackles
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Baitcasters Empty Baitcasters Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:12 am

Test Tackles

Test Tackles
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey folks hows it going? First off happy belated thanksgiving and merry christmas to all. On to my question... I'm trying to get into baitcasting fishing rods and am new to it. The thing is I went and purchased a cheap one thinking it would be good to learn on before I went on to the quality ones. I had bought a cheap pinnacle one at Wal-Mart but have trouble with it birds nesting all the time. I've done all the research I could to learn how to go about using the settings and all that, and I do well mostly but it seems it is always inevitable that it birds nest on me. So... I'm thinking that if I just go ahead and make the jump to a more quality baitcasting reel than I won't have this issue as much, what do ya'll think? I mean it doesnt seem like rocket science at all to me, but I just feel that if I had a reel with more quality and features to it than the backlash wouldn't be so much and I'd be able to learn a lot better on it. Also I'm leaning towards a fast 7.1.1 Curado 200. Any input would be appreciated guys tight lines doooooooooodes.

2Baitcasters Empty Re: Baitcasters Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:06 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Being new to baitcasters means lots of birdsnests.
I say practice practice practice with the cheapy because experienced guys can cast any baitcaster better than newbys. Start out using 1/2 oz or so. DO NOT try 3/8 or 1/4 oz until you are fairly confident with the 1/2 stuff. Dial up the tension a bit so it doesn't freespool so easy. Be willing to give up some distance for control.
Practice stopping the lure before it hits the ground.
Practice hitting targets in the front yard at different distances.
Practice pitching short distances.

That said having 2  reels is better than one.

I hope this helps.

OH, buy a spare spool of line.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3Baitcasters Empty Re: Baitcasters Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:17 pm

Its all about learning to adjust the Braking Systems and the Spool Tension knobs to the weight of the lure or bait you are throwing . The cheaper you go the less options you will have , thus causing more trouble in the long run.  (we get what we pay for) Does that mean we need to buy a $500 casting reel ? nope you can get away just fine with a Reel such as a Lew's Speed Spool ($100)  one of the easiest to cast IMO  .

Get what your comfortable with brand wise and practice .  use your Available resources , you tube , etc for help like this video  :  

Good luck and have fun learning these reels

4Baitcasters Empty Re: Baitcasters Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good info above but I do believe the reel has a lot to do with it. I'm fairly confident in my casting but I had a quantum that I would bird nest down to the core. I only had that problem with that reel. You don't have to go all out for a quality reel. You could even go used with no issues at all. Then practice practice practice.

Also, do it with mono not with braid

5Baitcasters Empty Re: Baitcasters Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:20 pm

fishin' fatty

fishin' fatty
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

dude, borrow one of mine, (rod and reel) i'll spool it up, tie a piece of bright string or ribbon above a half once weight and practice in a park or field. i'll be happy to help. let me know i'll meet you in menifee. and if you happen to fish with it before i get i get it back, well cool then!

6Baitcasters Empty Re: Baitcasters Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bait casting is a practice thing, you really need to use proper line and proper size lure. with a good weight. Personally i case further with my spinning but more accurate with my biatcasters. So it just depends what you are looking for. Flipping and pitching is a great thing to practice espically for casting under bush and trees. just keep doing it over and over and over and over and over. and it will be comfortable for you and you will get it. if you want to use some power pro or something like that i say make sure you have a good leader of mono like 6-9 ft to help it flow through the guides

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

7Baitcasters Empty Re: Baitcasters Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:27 am

Fishtube69

Fishtube69
FTFF Gathering Officer

I say practice . you'll eventually get the hang of it. I had the same problem. Every now and then I still end up getting the birds nest but now as bad.

Good Luck Very Happy

8Baitcasters Empty Re: Baitcasters Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Test Tackles

Test Tackles
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I honestly think its the baitcaster that I do have. I'm sure of it because i can go with about 10 cast before it backlashes on me and it seems to do it like that consistently. At first I didn't understand how to properly use one but I've had all of last summer to practice with it, did my research, and of course youtube it lol.

9Baitcasters Empty Re: Baitcasters Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:39 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Great thread!! and like everyone says, practice practice practice, I too like you wanted to start throwing a baitcaster....and like you wanted to buy cheapy baitcaster for my starter but after talking to lots of peeps at tackle stores and people that have used them, i went and pulled the trigger on the shimano chronarch 201e7...200bucks....after 2 years of throwing it, i can say im okay, i know have 2 of them but keep going back to my reliable spinning LOL, good luck bro.

Tony G

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]