FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 10:02 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by jeffcpr Today at 9:46 am

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 5:05 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Line are you using?

+8
Cutthroat
Misfitdog
GT
HugeEuge57
kobra
Ornery Bob
jeffcpr
Jerdon
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Line are you using? Empty What Line are you using? Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I am  seeking input guys.
Specifically what Line are you using for bass?

For 6 pound test to 15 pound spinning or bait casters I like Seaguar Red Label for fluoro,  and Izorline XXX clear for mono. I won't hesitate to use Berkley Big game for mono on my bait casters, but not on my spinning gear.

However for 4 pound test :
On my spinning reels I like Berkley Trilene XL  for the mono. For Fluoro on spinning reels I have just not found anything that handles well under 6 pound test mark.

Let me know what you have working.

2What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:48 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I am a mono guy it is what i have always used and i like both Seaguar Red Label, and Tirlene are high on my list. I like any 6 to 8 lb line, but will go as high as 10 lb if i expect tough waters. I am right now trying braid on one of my baitcaster, i cannotvsay much about it asbi have nit had to much time on the water with it.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

FWIW, my bass are spotted or barred, but I use Trilene XL for mono and PowerPro for braid.

4What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:15 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

30 lb power pro and 8 to 20 lb yo zuri copolimer or maxima fluoro on all my reels.
Jeff, if you are just trying braid, it takes some time to get used to it. It fishes totally different than mono or fluoro so you really need to give it a good while for an honest test to see if you like it or not. Also you need to practice a good knot to join braid to mono or fluoro. It's so very important to get proficient at tying a good knot. I started with the uni to uni knot but didn't like the way it went through the guides. I like the improved albreit knot.
One last thing, DO NOT wrap braid around your fingers or hand and pull on a snag as it will cut you to the bone.
Good luck on your experiment. Braid is not for everybody, so use it with an open mind. I can't see myself ever going back.

5What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:46 am

Trilene XL.

6What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:17 am

HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Fluoro I use Sunline FC Sniper for anything 8 lbs and over. For 6 lb. I use Berkley 100% Fluoro in the gold box. These 2 are pretty pricey though. I have used Berkley vanish before and it's a decent cheaper alternative. I'd stay away from anything under 8 lbs on the Sniper line...it used to be good but lately I've been having issues with it.

As for Mono I think I use the Bass Pro line mainly since I can buy it in bulk cheaper but I'll use Berkley Trilene the smooth casting one. I rarely use mono for bass. Mono floats, fluoro sinks and has less stretch so you can feel it better. I use mono for my big Huddleson swimbaits and anything I throw topwater...everything else is fluoro.

7What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:42 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

trout fishing I use 2# XXX, buy it on a large spool, 1500 yards I believe. I change my line 2-3 times a year, due to line twist, sun, and wear and tear. Tried Fluoro, seemed to break down. I believe it was 4#, can't recall the manufacturer. Gets pricey trying different types of Fluoro. For a long time I was a fan of 2#/4# Stren, but too mush stretch.

lmb, power pro 15# braid. not really a fan of braid in fresh water, but can't afford losing hard baits. And ya the knot to Seaguar fluoro can screw with your eyes. I have a Phoenix rod with micro eyes, so knots can be a pain. Mono I use 6-10# XXX. I'm going to buy another bait caster for mono, use the braid for salt and Cali's.

Salt I use BRAID. I had a nice yellowtail a few years back on some 15# XXX mono and lost it due to tangles with others. affraid Was I pissed. Never again. Braid cuts anything except metal leaders.bounce

Hope this helps...........GT

8What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:50 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Thanks guys keep it coming.
It does seem like the fluoro under the 6 pound mark is too stiff to work well on the little spinners, but for bass fishing that is fine.

9What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Misfitdog

Misfitdog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon : All my bait casters have Izorline XXX Super Co-Polymer Smoke 10-14lb and all my spinning rods for my drop shot 6lb and my panfish rod 4lb I use Berkley Trilene XT in Lo-Vis Green .. I am 100% mono and very picky about my lines . (its a confidence thing )

Now my Experience with Fluorocarbon I have tried P-line , Seaguar (AbrazX ,Red label ) Sunline (Fc Sniper) and I was not impressed my first learning curve was you have to tie the correct knot with floro otherwise you will be breaking it a lot and the funny thing is it was breaking 8-12" above the knot or just by pulling it with my bare hands (especially the lines 6# and under) the best floro I used out of the few I mentioned was AbrazX and the Sniper.

also with any lines like we all know is making sure the knot you tie and the line is wet to prevent line burn and the knot becoming weak .

I will stick to my Mono as I have caught numerous big LMB on it and had 0 issues and 1 thing I will point out again is confidence in your line is key , just like your baits . Us fishermen fall into the new market trends and we have to try the latest and greatest and where does that get us ? besides a huge $$$ sink on all these new fancy things lol!

Wes

10What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:46 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

kobra wrote:30 lb power pro and 8 to 20 lb yo zuri copolimer or maxima fluoro on all my reels.
Jeff, if you are just trying braid, it takes some time to get used to it. It fishes totally different than mono or fluoro so you really need to give it a good while for an honest test to see if you like it or not. Also you need to practice a good knot to join braid to mono or fluoro. It's so very important to get proficient at tying a good knot. I started with the uni to uni knot but didn't like the way it went through the guides. I like the improved albreit knot.
One last thing, DO NOT wrap braid around your fingers or hand and pull on a snag as it will cut you to the bone.
Good luck on your experiment. Braid is not for everybody, so use it with an open mind. I can't see myself ever going back.

Thanks buddy I am using the same 30 lb Power Pro. I am not giving up on it yet. Just want to get a few fish on it. So far I like the casting and the Knot I am using I still need to practice it. I am as I said a Mono man, but if I can figure out braid I will probably save money in the long run. Thumbs Up

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

11What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:30 pm

ATT&T....( but I think I'm overpaying!)

12What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Cutthroat

FTFF Gathering Officer

On my spinning reels, I always use Stren Clear Blue Fluorescent. It's "old school". I find it to be as supple as Trilene XL, but I prefer Stren's clear blue color. I can see the line above water well, and can detect tiny line twitches must better.

13What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:09 am

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Depending on what I have to spool up, mixes between izorline, big game and suffix siege.
Braid setups use mostly power pro 30 to yo zuri floro.

14What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Getbent.sportfishing

FTFF Gathering Officer

For tubing I usually use 20-30 lb braid. I've tried suffix, spiderwire, berkley big game, and powerpro. The spiderwire isn't as durable, my favorite would probably be powerpro. I always tie a leader, usually 12-15 lb fluoro. I've used soft steel, high seas, and seaguar and they all have worked fairly similar for me. I'll sometimes also use 8-10 lb mono, preferably Izorline. I sometimes use big game mono, but it seems to get frayed and abraded much easier than Izor.

15What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Partycrasher

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have been in a love/hate relationship with Fluorocarbon for years. I love the low stretch, sensitivity, and invisible qualities of it. My hate came when it got below freezing up here in the north and it would get unruly on spinning reels and then just randomly break when temps got below 15 degrees.

A little better than a year ago I bought some budget Fluorocarbon called Stren Fluorocast. Its usually around $9.99 or less for 200 yards so it's easy on the wallet and it has been flawless. I've used it two winters and have had no problems at all. Its sensitive, invisible and does very well on spinning. I'm not sure what the difference is between this Fluorocast and the other brands that are 2x the price. But I must say that it seems to be the best of both worlds. The good attributes of Fluoro with the handling of mono. I use 8# on Lake Michigan and have landed Browns in the upper-teens on it.

I use 6# for Bass in the tube and it worked perfectly last summer.

Also in the best of both worlds category is my other favorite right now, P-Line Flororclear. Its touted as a co-polymer line with a fluorocarbon coating. I've used this for a couple years as well, and cant say anything but good things about it.

16What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:31 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I'm going to trying something new this week that I haven't tried yet.

I just finished spooling up my spinning reels this past week with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Spiderwire, and all that I can say is ... that it held up perfectly with a 21 3/4" short Hali.
It's con .... it's loud and it sounds like it cutting it's way thru my guides and it's not smooth or quite.
FYI ... I'll be stripping it all off this week and I will be replacing it.

I went on line and purchased two different braids: Diawai Samurai [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] braid (8-carrier .007" 2.5-lb test) and Berkley Trilene [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Professional Grade braid (8-carrier but I can't seem to find the equivalent in mono) .
I used the Samurai [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] braid in the surf for 5 years fishing with S.W.A.T. and totally loved it and could depend on it!

It is one of the three super braids tested to be one of the three smallest diameter-ed, smoothest, most quite and strongest of all the 8-carrier braids on the market. The Samurai [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] braid is the same diameter as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] mono.
My fishing partner had highly recommended the Berkley Trilene [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Professional Grade braid. I listen to my friends and I trust them in their suggestions.

I will be comparing the two braids that I spool onto two exact matching spinning rod/reel set-ups.

I will also be tying on a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Blue Seaguar fluorocarbon leader on each. I use the Royal Polaris Knot for braid to fluorocarbon / or to mono.

I've tied and trusted the Double-Uni Knot for the past 8 years and the Royal Polaris is just a single knot that works and is easy to tie and I only have to tie one knot in lieu of two for the Double-Uni.

Let the braid trials begin! I hope that I like them equally.

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

17What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:32 pm

"You come here often?"

Oh...wait...I just read the title of this thread and got confused.

18What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:25 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Dan, I think the 15 lb braid should work a lot better for you on the spinners that the 30lb. I agree on your knot selection also.

19What Line are you using? Empty Re: What Line are you using? Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:01 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thanx kobra Thumbs Up

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum