FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Thu May 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Last Day Of Tourney- Fished Two Harbors

+5
Ornery Bob
GT
david886720
Jerdon
SP Dan
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Last Day Of Tourney- Fished Two Harbors Empty Last Day Of Tourney- Fished Two Harbors Mon May 01, 2017 10:49 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Yes! .... I get to do a regular fish report again!
I've been so wrapped up in the last two tournaments.

AO's: LAB & LAH
Session Duration: LAB 0715 hrs until 1030 hrs and LAH 1130 hrs until 1500 hrs.
Sun Rise: 0605 hrs, Start of Grey Light: 0535 hrs.
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent.
Tidal Conditions: outgoing tide 0600 hrs 0.2', 0732 hrs LT 0.4', incoming tide 0900 hrs 0.1', 1000 hrs 0.9', 1200 hrs 2.8', 1424 hrs HT 3.7', 1500 hrs 4.8'.
Ocean Swell: NW / SSW
Water Temp: 62 - 67 deg and extremely clear. Warm and cold pockets of water all day.
Skys: Clear and sunny warm
Clothing Gear: SoCal board-shorts weather.
Bait: lots of 2" shiners everywhere.
Birds: A few pelagic birds here and there.
Harbor Dogs: Too many! Grrrrr!!!
Wind: NNE/NE offshore 3 - 12 mph. Big wind gusts!
Air Temps: 66 deg to 74 deg.
iSolunar Prediction: 3-fish were predicted, the Minor Period: 0919 to 1049 hrs.
Distance Covered: 1.29 miles. Calories Burnt: 635
Tackle Used: 3" BH Bay Smelt on a 3/8oz Natural CoolBait underspin w/ 2/0 hook, and the Drop-Shot rig w/ a Gamakatsu size 3/0 Offset Shank Worm EWG hook and a 5" Zoom Salty White Ice Fluke with a 1/2 oz finesse weight and I used the shooting-the-dock form of cast shooting using both the 1/4oz Sardine Green / Silver HUB.
I used Hot Sauce scent on everything.

SP Dan's fish count: (10) fish after fishing two harbors .... OUCH!

My plan:
I first arrived at LAH at 0600 hrs to fish the harbor but the tide was all wrong ... so I packed-it-up and headed straight over to LAB to do a little LT action there, at the west end near 55th Pl. and then return back at 1030 hrs to catch the incoming HT at LAH.

AO: LAB Sunday 4-30-17,
Session Duration: 0715 hrs until 1030 hrs
Tidal Conditions: outgoing tide 0600 hrs 0.2', 0732 hrs LT 0.4', incoming tide 0900 hrs 0.1', 1000 hrs 0.9'.
The fishing was a slow. (1) Sandy, (3) Spotty's, (1) Barracuda ... no qualifiers.
I left LAB and headed back to LAH at 1030 hrs with no more than my skunk buster out of the way.

AO: LAH Sunday 4-30-17,
Session Duration: 1130 hrs until 1500 hrs
Tidal Conditions: 1200 hrs 2.8', 1424 hrs HT 3.7', 1500 hrs 3.8'.
The fishing was still slow but with better results. (4) Sandy's best 13",13" & 14", (1) Calico.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So ... here's the story about ... "the one that got away" on Sunday,

I had this deep gut feeling ... that if I were to wind drift a certain section of water that there could be a big fish in there ...
so ...
I'm wind drifting that area and I decided to break out the 3" Bay Smelt on a 3/8 oz Cool Bait w/ under-spin and I worked it real slow and then all of a sudden BAM!!
PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS LAST FISH OF THE DAY AND OF THE TOURNAMENT!
My rod went full bendo to the 3rd eye on my rod and I was putting the wood to it!
It was so heavy and just kept pulling line with ease ... and then ... almost the worst ... I felt it wrap-my-line-up in some rocks and in the the kelp too ... just to make matters worse!
Well folks .... I've been here before! Once I knew that my hook was well set ... I backed my drag off a few clicks just encase it decided to take a few sudden power run!
So ... I kicked over to right on top of it in about 11-feet of water and I was able to see the rocks and the strands of kelp it had me tied up in ... then all of a sudden I could feel my line pop free from the rocks and then from the kelp. YES!!! What a feeling!
Now ... I still haven't seen it and I'm a good 5-7 minutes into fighting this fish and trying not to lose it!

So it's now free from it's entanglement and I'm raising it carefully, slowly from the 11-ft depth and I see it for the first time! When ...... Holy Moly!!  Shocked
It's a huge Halibut! I got my net ready and floated it up to the surface until it must have realized that it was there on the water's surface and it absolutely exploded!
It dove down and went on a few strong power runs and I was able to work it slowly back up to the surface again next to my tube .... I grabbed for my net and noticed that ... when the Hali was flat on the surface, that the hook-set was strange! .. it was not in it's mouth but stuck in it's face. Oh NO!  affraid

It exploded again and took another power dive and run! Now I'm trying to be extra calm and careful because of the lousy hook-set in it's face.!
I work it back up to the surface one more time ... I loosened the drag-setting again just a few more clicks, I calmly reached back behind me and grabbed the net once again ... and as I was reaching and leaning forward with the net .... the absolute worst happened ...

the hook popped it's skin. And I watched the monstrous Halibut swim back down beneath me into the deep dark for the last time.

I'll just say ... it was much larger than my maiden voyage 25" Hali.

He's still out there and I have a good reason to come back there!

SP Dan     <"))><

Here's a few pic's from this past weekend for your pleasure:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanx for checking out my lengthy fish report! Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue May 02, 2017 7:24 am; edited 2 times in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great report Dan and thanks for sharing.
Them big fish get that way by battling for every inch don't they?

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Awesome report Dan. I really enjoyed it!

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great day on the water Dan.....love the pics.........that's what is great about fishing, u come back another day for the big girl.....GT

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Great report! At least you got to see it close and feel it's power; that's the rush!

Getbent.sportfishing

FTFF Gathering Officer

Nice report and pictures, you definitely caught a good variety. I've caught some different fish on lures but not white croaker yet...

anchor

anchor
FTFF Gathering Officer

Wow brother Dan, that big-butt-blowout story really got me on the edge of my seat Shocked Wink  Man it's bad enough to have a rod go bendo but to see a big target species, work your self to the max to land it and then have it pop-off and swim back to it's spot is a heartbreaker:x  But I KNOW YOU Dan.  It only makes you more glad to be out there and determined next time!!!!

It's so satisfying for me to read your always fascinating, fact-filled, and (typically) funny session reports.  And this one does not disappoint my friend.

So glad to see you out there and perfecting your angling skills and excelling.  

I hope you are doing well my friend and I hope to talk to you soon.

God bless you,

Nick

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Dat a boy! Respect!

DCFISH

FTFF Gathering Officer

That's a huge sculpin!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzb6l2qIStqamhp1RBEKcwA

Sponsored content