FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Beginner's question about purchase of fins

+8
chipmcd
GT
SP Dan
Ornery Bob
Jerdon
jeffcpr
Mo2vation
RJD
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Beginner's question about purchase of fins Empty Beginner's question about purchase of fins Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:55 am

RJD

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have a Super Fat Cat ordered, but have never utilized a float tube/fins before. My next purchase will be fins, and would appreciate some guidance pertaining to making a choice. It seems that many people like Force Fins or Flipfins. Conversely, not to many people seem to recommend the less than $50 offerings from Caddis, Outcast, Classic Accessories, etc. I don't have a problem investing the money upfront in a quality product instead of purchasing better later as a consequence of not being satisfied with the cheaper version. What would you recommend and why? I wear a size 13 wading boot, so that may limit options. Thanks.

Ron

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey buddy

You will do no better than the Force Fin float tube fins.   Their scuba fins are laughable, but these are the finest fins for the serious float tuber.

They flex on the down / back stroke (making the downstroke easier on you), then they stiffen up on the upstroke (so you have power and thrust.)  They're indestructible, adjustable to fit OVER any size boot, and they will last forever.

They were ridiculously expensive when I bought two pair back in the early 90's - and they still are.

These fins have outlasted half a dozen tubes, probably a couple of dozen rods, at least three sets of wading boots, 4 sets of waders, miles of line and many thousands of fish.

(protip:) See the V at the toe end of the fin? That also serves to keep your fly reel out of the water (lift your foot - set it there) while you're tying on a new fly or leader as you sit in your tube.

You will never regret buying something that lasts.  These are the longest lasting Float Tube kit I have and I could not love them more.

Bite down hard, get these and you'll never look back. These fins are absolutely without peer.

- Ken

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I would like to say I have been using for the last 10 years a pair of dive fins I am not even sure what they are but they work very well for me. I would also like to say this might be a good idea to try some fins on with your waders on to make sure they fit right. I am sure you will get more info from the guys here and I am sure you will make the right choice welcome to the dark side RJD.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I can say if you want the best fins that will last 25 years or so get the Force Fins; especially if money is not an issue. I have a pair of Force Fins I bought used that are great, but they do not fit over my booties. I also have some Omega Fins that I wear half the time.  I have bought several pairs of fins and the Force Fins feel like they are easier on the legs.
Here is a report I did a few years back.

I hope this helps

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I probably should have added:  I always wear boots when I'm tubing.  Mostly because its often a schlep to the put in point, and most of the time I'm wading in water that's in the 40's or 50's with the air often in the 40s, 30s or much lower - so I layer up.

Many folks slide their stocking foot wader feet into fins, wearing crocks or other light over-shoes to the water.

I have boots I wear over my Simms - so the Force Fins work great.  There are no other proper fin with a proper foot pocket I could get these boots into.

Some of the guys I fish with wear Scuba booties over their stocking foot waders  - so they can also get into proper scuba fins. I prefer hard sole boots over soft sole Scuba booties.

- K

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

The Outcast fins look like a knock off of the Force Fins for about half the money, but I don't think I've seen a comparison review.

FWIW, My experience with regards to fins matches what Jerdon said in his review, in that I wear scuba fins and the large blade favors longer strokes from a more laid back position. Which is great for trolling, or when you have to push hard for any reason, but I also like to sit upright and use more of a "pedaling" type stroke, like riding a bicycle backwards and I can see where the FF would be better for that.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I do know two people who used the Outcast semi knock off of Force Fin. They both stopped using them. I did not try them myself, but they felt way to stiff to compare with the Force Fins.

SP Dan

SP Dan

I've only used Force Fins for the past two years and am extremely satisfied with them.
I bought mine on eBay for $80.
I did not purchase the adjustable type. I have a size 10 foot and I wear a thin water shoe,
(I don't wear waders) so I use the size XL.
This FF will also work with my waders and or just my water shoes.

If you buy the FF ... just know that they don't float! You will need to purchase a fin leash.

I hope that this helps you.

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well I'm on my third set of fins, first was the Creek Company duck feet fin, heavy, and not easy on the legs, cramps after a long float. My second pair, which I still have, was the Out Cast knockoff of the Force Fin. To many straps and buckles, but I did wear a size 12 booty with them. I'm old and they were just to much work getting them off and on, and I did not care for shoe type booty that I purchased from Bass Pro. Now I have a set of dive fins ($76), nothing fancy, but what a difference they have made. I purchased the Edge dive fin, no heel, extra large. They are very easy to kick with, no cramps, easy off and on, just a delight. Now I can stay in place against the current and not worry about my legs cramping and as Bob said a joy to trolling in the tube. I have not had the experience using Force Fins, but $$ played in my decision. Maybe someone on the forum will let you test the FF..............GT

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Mo2vation wrote:I probably should have added:  I always wear boots when I'm tubing.  Mostly because its often a schlep to the put in point, and most of the time I'm wading in water that's in the 40's or 50's with the air often in the 40s, 30s or much lower - so I layer up.

Many folks slide their stocking foot wader feet into fins, wearing crocks or other light over-shoes to the water.

I have boots I wear over my Simms - so the Force Fins work great.  There are no other proper fin with a proper foot pocket I could get these boots into.

Some of the guys I fish with wear Scuba booties over their stocking foot waders  - so they can also get into proper scuba fins.   I prefer hard sole boots over soft sole Scuba booties.

- K

To the OP, use whatever works best for your situation but, define your situation first.  Since the title of the thread is "Beginner's questions about purchase of fins" I guess you're gonna be wading (pun intended) through a lot of responses.

I have Force Fins Float Tube Fins as well. I've only used one other pair of fins before (Caddis) and that was when I first started.   They were a set that my uncle let his clients use who wanted to fly fish from a tube.  There were not many choices in the late 80'/early 90's. for fins.  

Side note:  If you haven't picked up waders yet, do yourself a favor and just get stockingfoot waders. I think they allow you to be more adaptable. If you're just gonna float tube and you can find the perfect fitting boot foot wader then, try it. Most of the one's I tried on were sloppy at best. If you plan on even wading the easiest of rivers in boot foot waders, like the Kern for instance, the odds of twisting an ankle go up.  One pair of waders and different footwear for different occassions

I wear wading boots, flats boots and Crocs with my stockingfoot waders and each have their purpose.  Wading boots are for wading and cold weather tubing w/4mm neoprene. The Crocs see duty for wintertime surf fishing or when the schlep to the drop-in is a little longer. The flats boots are just for float tubing (someday they will be for flats wading!) They protect my waders (the neoprene booties) from abrasion and allow me to walk to the drop-in in them. One good thing about Force Fins Float Tube Fins, they're very adjustable and that keeps them fairly tight at all contact points when adjusted properly.

Sorry for the long winded approach about wader and footwear. Just throwing 2 cents out there.  As for the fins, they are purpose built for float tubing but not the only choice as mentioned by others. Since they are a step-in type and very adjustable, they work well for both my wading boot and flats boot. It is almost impossible to find a slip-on type fin that will accommodate a wading boot.

All my buddies I tube with have Force Fins. I haven't heard or come across many stories of failures with them. They may seem expensive but if you keep an eye out you may find a deal on them. I caught mine 12-13% off on sale at Cabelas, which put them under $200.  On top of that, I got them with free shipping (ordered my K-Pump at the same time.)

Good Luck and Tight Lines!

Wayno57

FTFF Gathering Officer

I personally have a strong preference for dive fins and have been using them in float tubes for 25 years.   I have a pair of force fins I bought several years ago but I think they are less efficient.  The strap on the force fins allows my foot to move which causes an inefficient transfer of energy to the fin.   The straight dive fins allow my legs to be straighter in front of me, reduce drag, and move MUCH faster.   I use inexpensive dive fins that has the 'cup' where your foot goes into, and a rubber adjustable strap that goes around the heel.  I use neoprene booties with the strap retainer nub, and the dive fin fits snugly over the toe.   I bought an extra strap assembly that I keep in my float tube just in case I break a strap.  

Wayno

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Wayno57 wrote:I personally have a strong preference for dive fins and have been using them in float tubes for 25 years.   I have a pair of force fins I bought several years ago but I think they are less efficient.  The strap on the force fins allows my foot to move which causes an inefficient transfer of energy to the fin.   The straight dive fins allow my legs to be straighter in front of me, reduce drag, and move MUCH faster.   I use inexpensive dive fins that has the 'cup' where your foot goes into, and a rubber adjustable strap that goes around the heel.  I use neoprene booties with the strap retainer nub, and the dive fin fits snugly over the toe.   I bought an extra strap assembly that I keep in my float tube just in case I break a strap.  

Wayno

I am just then same I have been using dive fins for about 25 years and I have to say they work just amazing. Just my 2 cents dive fins are the way to go.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

DHunt

FTFF Gathering Officer

I'm in the exact same position as RJD. Getting ready to order a tube and no experience. All this talk about Force Fins has me pretty well convinced. But are you all talking about FF tube fins, or just the more common scuba FF? I see FF on Ebay now, but I don't think they are the float tube units that retail for $230.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

DHunt wrote:I'm in the exact same position as RJD.  Getting ready to order a tube and no experience.  All this talk about Force Fins has me pretty well convinced.  But are you all talking about FF tube fins, or just the more common scuba FF?  I see FF on Ebay now, but I don't think they are the float tube units that retail for $230.

The FF tube fins will adjust to any shoe or boot you wear down to the waters edge. The regular FF with the hard top you will need to figure out which size fin will fit over your shoe or boot.  The hard top offers a slight preformance advantage IMHO.

I hope this helps.

SP Dan

SP Dan

I purchased mine "used" on eBay for $80.
Mine are the common fin style where I slide my foot into the fin with the molded rubber top.
I wear a size 10 - 10 1/2 shoe and I have a narrow foot, I purchased the size XL FF and it allows me a little extra room.
I always think that I could have gotten away with just the size L but I wanted the fin to be versatile encase I wanted to wear sock foot waders with a pair of water booty's over the sock foot.
I always wear a pair of very thin walled water booty's while wearing the fins and it works out just great for me.

PS ... with FF's, you will need to go on line (eBay) and purchase yourself a pair of the fin leashes because the fins will sink to the bottom of Davie's Locker. I found out the hard way!  Red Smile

Good luck!

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

wetsuitxninja

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have had good luck with hot spot fins. Local turners here in Temecula has them usually.

Emmet

Emmet
FTFF Gathering Officer

...get the Force Fins; especially if money is not an issue.

I'm on Social Security; for me, money is always an issue. I'd been a diver for years, so I go with what I know; SCUBA fins. My preference would've been what I used for years; Scubapro 'Jet' fins, but alas; they're still so good after all these years that (last I looked) used ones on Ebay are still quite pricey. I got a second-hand pair of XL Scubapro 'Rocket' fins at a good price, and wear them over either my stockingfoot waders or with neoprene dive booties. Those are just my preference; I strongly suspect that you'd be happy with just about any fins from a reputable company; kicking's much more about technique than equipment.

TIP: Second-hand fins are great; second hand straps, not so much. If you get second-hand dive fins, put new straps on them before use, and try to get new straps at the beginning of every season. Trust me.

Once I'm comfortably ensconced in my tube, with the soft and hard aprons secured and floating in the middle of the lake, having to adjust a slipping fin strap would be highly inconvenient. I have paracord half-hitched over the back of my fin straps; I wrap them forward, crossing over the top of my foot, underneath, and then back up either side, securing them on top of my foot with a slip knot (reef knot). I never give them a second thought after that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum