FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Always learning - and this past Sunday was no exception

+3
Jerdon
Wonka Weeyaga
Mo2vation
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Fishing isn't always about catching fish.  Although Sunday was reasonably productive for this Bay Noobie.

If I learn something every time out, its a good trip.  And I learned a pantload this trip:

The Fish
Caught my largest halibut in my 4 trips to HH.... probably 19.5".  Something wasn't right with the guy, as he was super skinny.  The 16-incher I caught 10 minutes later fought much stronger, and was thick and meaty.  

Sculpin crack me up.  They will go after a bait nearly as large as them.  I was chucking 1/4 oz.... so if you're thinking reddy was about 5", you'd be right.  And despite my care, lil goober still stuck me good in the thumb

Calico are gorgeous.  That is all.

The Gear

a) 7'-1" Phenix bait casting (8 - 17#) rod with Shimano Curado 201k XG reel - filled with 30# PowerPro Braid (dark green) and 10# Seaguar Flouro.  Bait weight 1/2oz  - 1oz .  I was chucking 1/4 oz baits... I like this rod, but I'm gonna use it for the bigger stuff next time.  It felt a bit like taking a bazooka to a knife fight in the harbor.

b) 6'-9" Phenix bait casting rod (4 - 10#) with Shimano Citica 201 HG reel - filled with 6# mono.  Bait weight 1/4oz - 3/8oz.  I'm going to strip off the Mono, and load this reel up with 10# Braid 8# Floruo.  This will become my primary 1/4 oz rod in the bay.  I'll get a wee bit more distance, and it can handle anything I've seen come out of the bay.   I <3 lighter gear.

c) 6'-9" Phenix spinning rod with Shimano Spirex 2000 reel - filled with 10# PowerPro braid (dark green) and 7.3# Seaguar Flouro.  Bait weight 1/16oz I got no love on the 1/6 oz HUB's.  I'll probably keep this on the rig for tossing into boiling bait.  I was a little slow last time, but I'm convinced this is still a good rig to keep around.

d) Stabilizer bar mod added to the CastMate system OMG... this thing continues to rock.  Makes transport a breeze, but I was able to use the Kelp Clip from my Kayak, tie into the mussles on the bridge and hold position.  I love this thing.

e) Trying a bunch of new baits and scents . Tried some swim baits, some under-spin for the sleeper, and of course my MegaBass baits.  Nothing, and I do mean nothing worked like the HUBs.  1/4 oz.  I caught on 3 colors.  The very good news is I can bring a lot less gear now.  Smile

What I learned

* I'm enjoying bait casting reels again.  But my main rig is so huge, its like hauling these Harbor fish in.  Gonna downsize for the 1/4 oz... it'll be fun.

* There are four distinct bottom types in the part of the harbor I fished Sunday:  Mud (most of the place and all the major channels), Grass (shallows and some grass patches I can meter with my FF), Rock (by the bridge and along PCH) and pilings / Buoy anchors (cement / wood into Mud).   By far, my favorite and most product technique was along the mud.... letting the HUB sink to the bottom, wait a moment and slow retrieve / bounce.... deadly.   Next best was in the grass.... same technique, but HUBs aren't weedless, so I was gardening a bit.   The rocks and clams by the bridge were problematic.  I lost a few HUBs there (caught some fish... but lost some baits).  I'll get better.

* I need to remember to bring a couple of spools of Flouro onto the tube.  When I got stuck, I was always hoping I didn't snap off the leader.... cuz I forgot to pack some.  Never again.  Smile

* I learned 'the Rainbow' - peeing whilst in Chest Waders from a tube.  Roll them down, seal the hatch and turn on the spigot.  Suffice to say, this will be a game changer for this old guy.  There is no doubt I'll install a Pee Valve into my waders soon (ordering it tomorrow.) I've installed many in my dry suits over the years and they are amazing.  But for now, I'll chase the rainbow.  

So much good stuff.  I need to work on my grass technique and my clamming.  Otherwise, very pleased with this trip, and especially grateful to my 'guide' SPDan.  

Lets do this again.... this weekend looks good.  Smile

I have some GP Video... will post as a reply to this thread tonight.

-Ken

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks for sharing the info. Sounds like a fun outting. You had me LOL'ing with the 'rainbow'

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Always learning,part of the fun.

SP Dan

SP Dan

Brotha ... please don't refer to me as a guide for I'm just a guy that luvs to fish, I put my waders on; one-leg-at-a-time, just like everyone else does. lol

I fish hard, I hunt for the fish, I figure out which way the fish are facing in the current, which way the fish want the bait presented to them and I constantly adjust my techniques until I can find the correct presentation to fool the fish into attacking my plastic bait. Simple.
We all do this.

Let's hook-it-up again soon .... I had a great session fishing with you as well Ken! Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Videos (goofy... if you have something better to do... like watch your nails grow - ignore these)

The new GoPro Quik doesn't work with my Windows 10.... so these aren't edited.  Just clipped.  Ugh.

- Ken

Lil Spotted Bay Bass on the loaner HUB from SPDan

Pulling off the bridge stanchion...

"here, fish fish fish fish...." ("forever grateful I am....." )
(memo to self: do not smack the GP with the rod butt.....)

Fishing Both sides of the bridge stanchion...

SP Dan

SP Dan

Very nice short video clips at the Los Patos Highway bridge.  Thumbs Up
And it's great to see you getting so ATTACHED to the Highway Bridge stanchions. Very Happy  lol

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks for the report and videos!

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Great report so cool to see the joy you have for the sport. Thanks for sharing the video's and we will need to work on a way to anchor to that bridge.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jeffcpr wrote:Great report so cool to see the joy you have for the sport.  Thanks for sharing the video's and we will need to work on a way to anchor to that bridge.  

HAHA!! Yeah, I found they key was clipping on in the WET mussels. The dry patches just pulled off. The lower I clipped off (like in the last vid) the stronger the hold. I also need to dig in deeper in to the wet muck and fibers. Once I did that, it held on very well.

That bar on the front of the tube is so convenient - and for clamping on facing current, it was a game changer. No way I could do this successfully if I fastened to a D-ring on the side of my tube... I'd just be spinning.

Smile

-K

(thanks for your kind words... I do like to have fun out there!)

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Awesome videos. Thanks for sharing!

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Love the enthusiasm you are taking to the saltwater. SP Dan is a hoot to fish with and great company in any setting. Glad to see you both had a great time. Excellent, informative reporting as well! Thumbs Up

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

What type fish finder do you use? Thanks! Stephen

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Troutbum wrote:What type fish finder do you use?  Thanks!  Stephen

Hey buddy

I use a Humminbird Helix 5 GPS. Scotty flip-able transducer mount (the bomb!!). Fishfindermounts.com 5Ah battery (stuffed into the pocket of my Outcast SFC). FF is mounted via 1.5" Ram Mount

Love this rig!!

-Ken

Can't upload images for some reason (getting an error....). But you know what all this looks like. Smile

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks for the info!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum