FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Belt PFDs - Onyx or Stearns? Something else?

+4
Ornery Bob
jeffcpr
Alakai
jplee3
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey guys,

Just got my float tube (Outcast Fat Cat) and have never done this before. I've been wanting to try it out ever since hearing about it... primarily for the harbors/bays (saltwater). I was researching PFDs and belt PFDs were recommended to me by a buddy who float tubes a lot.

What would you guys recommended between these?
- Stearns SOSPenders (16g)
- Onyx M16 (16g)

Something else?

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I got this one, the ONYX M-24. You can find them for about $75 I don't even know about the price I just saw when I found the link for you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks! Is the 24g preferred/recommended over the 16g inflatables?

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I'm new to all of this also. I like it because it is lightweight and I don't even know it's there until I have to take it off to pack up and go home.

I'm not sure how a belt would be on a float tube since you are sitting the way you are.

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Alakai wrote:I'm new to all of this also. I like it because it is lightweight and I don't even know it's there until I have to take it off to pack up and go home.

I'm not sure how a belt would be on a float tube since you are sitting the way you are.

I guess it depends on the float tube right? I think with some you're sitting higher and out of the water whereas others you might be partly submerged up to your waist? My buddy who float tubes has an Outcast Fish Cat and prefers to wear the Stearns SOSPenders. It doesn't seem like it would get in the way really. But I do see how this is more popular with SUP.

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well, I was talking about comfort really like if that bunch of stuff is on your waist and it is up against your lower back or is under your belly, just seems cumbersome and uncomfortable. If it is submerged I think it would be worse since you would then likely need to wash it off each time you go to prevent corrosion and mold. I don't know. I sit pretty much out of the water on my Cumberland

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I am with Alakai the belt style might be kind of uncomfortable the Onyx is a better choice. I use something similar, either way, it is a best practice to always wear your PFD.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

My 2 cents...

I don't wear a pfd because I'm afraid I will end up going for a swim. Us fat guys float good. I wear a pfd because I'm afraid a boat will hit me and I'll end up in the water unconscious or unable to swim. I've had more than one scare from boats and jet skis.

My pfd is there to protect me from worse case scenarios, not as a just a required accessory.

The belt type pfd isn't meant to keep your head out of the water. Whatever you decide, you really are betting with your life, so be sure whatever benefit you get is worth the risk.

I also agree that the Onyx chest style is very comfortable and I too forget I'm even wearing it.

Float tube fishing is a safe and fun sport and you're going to have a blast! But life is what it is and bad stuff happens, and in this case I think it really makes sense to be as safe as possible.

Happy fishing!

SP Dan

SP Dan

I've been wearing the ONYX 24/7 auto/manual inflatable PFD now for about 2 1/2 years and I luv it.
I agree with everything mentioned above. Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Do you guys recommend getting the auto inflatable vest that will inflate when submerged? Or the manual pull cord only activated version? Seems the auto one that activates upon being submerged would be safest in the event that you go unconscious before potentially going under (e.g. if a boat hits you or whatever)

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I wear the auto-inflate. It also has a manual pull. The most likely outcome by a mile is that you will never need your pfd, but it's cheap insurance in case you do.

SP Dan

SP Dan

I've been wearing the ONYX 24/7 auto/manual inflatable PFD now for about 2 1/2 years.

I truly believe that it's more about if you were to have a heart attack while out on the water, have a stroke or you were struck by a passing boat or by a drunk skipper of a fast moving boat and it knocked-you-out ... having and wearing a PDF that will automatically inflate could possibly save your life one day if you were to become unconscious or unable to rescue yourself.

I also carry an emergency whistle, I have mine on a pig-tail that's attached to my PDF and it's always super easy for me to reach. I have used mine a few times in order to alert fast approaching boats that were headed right towards me.
And besides .... they are cheap insurance!

Another thing is that I wear on my PDF is a marine strobe light that will begin to strobe once both of the electrodes become wet together, at the same time.
Example: I end up in the water wearing my PDF vest, it inflats and the flashing marine light becomes submerged while I was doing a night session and I ended up in the water. The light would indicate my location and help in my possible rescue if I couldn't blow the whistle.
A back-up plan is a good idea when it comes to my safety. Thumbs Up

It's silly and careless not to wear your PDF.   clown

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I fish fresh water and only use a manual inflatable PFD. I would hate to trip while getting in the tube and now the auto inflation goes off and ruins the day.

jeffcpr and SP Dan like this post

beedee

beedee
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube

Necro thread bump! But I finally picked up a PFD today, stacked multiple coupon codes and a gift card for Dick's Sporting Goods and got an ONYX A/M-24. Wink

jeffcpr and SP Dan like this post

NulodPBall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

As long as we're bumping necros...
(That sounded better before I typed it out)

My view is that inflatable PFDs work "most" of the time.

Do you really want to be on the short side of that stick?

On lakes, I don't care as much because I figure that if my inflatable PFD doesn't work, I usually will have at least 1 filled bladder that I can use to kick to shore with... and yes, I've gone fishing with a slow leak and had to periodically re-inflate my bladder... but I was more flexible back then.

FYI: belt PFDs usually inflate to look like a yellow version of the cheap orange PFDs... so you still have to put it on after inflation.

If I'm in a harbor, in saltwater, I know I can still probably make it to the harbor edge in a deflated float tube, but I also know I may have to go a long way before I can get out of the water, especially if it's low tide and none of the docks have a ladder. Don't ask.

Trust me, if you've got water in your waders you won't sink, but you will have a hard time even getting up a ladder much less trying to muscle your way on top of a dock without a ladder.

This is why I prefer a kayaking PFD if I'm on saltwater, and especially if I go outside the main harbor... I don't often go outside the breakwater, swells in a kayak is one thing, swells in a float tube is something else... And I've seen someone get flipped.

Why a kayak PFD?
It doesn't write up against the front of my neck, and the back padding tends to accommodate being in a seat more.

I always carry a whistle, because just like cars boat drivers don't see anything except other boats.

I use a pea-less whistle and I can always trill my tongue if I want to make it sound like a regular coaches whistle.

You'd be surprised at how surprised people look when they finally realize you're there, even if they're on a paddle board.

Especially if you use an air horn (you can make those refillable if you have an air compressor).

An auto strobe is actually fairly inexpensive and quite small.

If you do get an inflatable harness or belt, and recommend wasting a CO2 cartridge every so often just to make sure it works.

If it's a standard CO2 cartridge, they're much cheaper if you don't buy them at West Marine. Big 5 has them, Walmart should have them, Amazon has them for sure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum