FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Tony Williams Posted this on Facebook
by jmytuna Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:23 pm

» Great Day on San Diego Bay!
by The Beefshaman Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:18 pm

» Barrett 6/19/24
by Jerdon Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:37 am

» Slow days are better than no days
by Jerdon Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:36 am

» Next Gathering will be In September
by jeffcpr Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:34 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:08 pm

» Travel Wheel Help
by Eric3501 Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:40 am

» Searching for a Phoenix, AZ. FT fishing club or locals
by SP Dan Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:01 pm

» Los Alamitos Gathering Report
by david886720 Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:16 pm

» New old member
by david886720 Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:15 pm

» I’ve pulled the trigger once again
by david886720 Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:13 pm

» Catch of the month entry
by david886720 Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:11 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by SP Dan in I’ve pulled the trigger once again
( 4 )

» Post by Stonewood in New old member
( 4 )

» Post by Stonewood in New old member
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Barrett 6/19/24
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Please keep our lakes open
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Registering your boat, float bube, kayak, or pontoon boat.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

So as some of you know I picked up a 10'10" x 5'5" inflatable raft, minn kota motor and marine battery to use up in the Sierras and local lakes to get my dad on the water more and away form the crazies fishing on shore. My main problem was registering the boat do I have to and how do I. After talking to the guys at West Marine and finding a few websites I got my answer... yes I do have to register it.

Main guide lines are if it is sail powered, motor powered or over 8' long you have register it.

Here are a few sites that will hopefully help if you need to register a water craft.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

NulodPBall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Vagabond wrote:So as some of you know I picked up a 10'10" x 5'5" inflatable raft, minn kota motor and marine battery to use up in the Sierras and local lakes to get my dad on the water more and away form the crazies fishing on shore. My main problem was registering the boat do I have to and how do I. After talking to the guys at West Marine and finding a few websites I got my answer... yes I do have to register it.

Main guide lines are if it is sail powered, motor powered or over 8' long you have register it.

Here are a few sites that will hopefully help if you need to register a water craft.

Don't forget this part:
"Exemption

Inflatable boats that move through the use of oars or paddles are not required to register with the DMV."

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey bud good to see ya here.

Yeah inflatables useing oar or paddle power are exempt as long as they are under 8 feet.

NulodPBall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Vagabond wrote:Hey bud good to see ya here.

Yeah inflatables useing oar or paddle power are exempt as long as they are under 8 feet.

hi Smile

Nope, I repeat:
"Exemption

Inflatable boats that move through the use of oars or paddles are not required to register with the DMV."

The exemption does not mention length, just the exemption Smile

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

NulodPBall wrote:
Vagabond wrote:Hey bud good to see ya here.

hi Smile

Nope, I repeat:
"Exemption

The exemption does not mention length, just the exemption Smile

But once you put any type of motor on it it must be registered!!

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hmmm let me see if I can find the details again, it might have been in the pamplet I read at West Marine but there was some stupid thing about if it's over 8' it has to be registered no matter what powers it... possibly only if taken in goverment regulated waters.

Put a motor on a tire inner tube and you have to register it, state wants every dollar they can get out of you! I bet if I carried a battery and straped a motor to my back I'd have to register myself.

NulodPBall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Vagabond wrote:hmmm let me see if I can find the details again, it might have been in the pamplet I read at West Marine but there was some stupid thing about if it's over 8' it has to be registered no matter what powers it... possibly only if taken in goverment regulated waters.

Put a motor on a tire inner tube and you have to register it, state wants every dollar they can get out of you! I bet if I carried a battery and straped a motor to my back I'd have to register myself.

The link to the DMV site is:

The exemption stands, Smile
no length requirement if paddle powered.
Think about all the 18ft long kayaks out there...all without CF numbers.

The phrase that you are remembering references sail powered vessels.

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Got it all registered today finally, actually pretty easy since the paper work is straight foreward and I got someone who knew what they were doing at DMV. But geez my appointment was for 11:30 and I didn't even get helped till 12:30 and out of there till 12:50.

Now to get all my numbers mounted onto it so I don't look like a drug runner boat.

NulodPBall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Smile

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

thats the main reason I have never botherd with any kind of motor on my pontoon, I dont mind rowing it and I dont have to regester it Very Happy

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah after going through all this I am debating either just using the same numbers for my Kayak if I put the motor on it or registering it seperately on it's own. I have two trolling motors now, that Mercury I got at the fishing swap meet and a new Minn Kota I got at Sports Chalet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum