FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Tue May 28, 2019 11:06 am

rayprado714

rayprado714
FTFF Gathering Officer

Its been almost a year since I asked about this same topic. Fishing in the Bay for the first time. Y'all had some good advice. Unfortunately, I never got in the Salt. I love float tubing lakes. Caught my PB 9lb bass a few weeks ago at Lake Perris. I'm finally ready to go into salt water since its so close. I usually fish at the public docks on balboa island. My concerns before were Sea lions messing with me and also since saltwater fish are spiky-er im concerned about my float tube being popped. But, I am ready now to try it. I want to make sure im prepared with the right gear. Just ordered one of those thinner PFD that you can pull to activate. is there a specific kind of net you guys prefer for the saltwater bass? I have neoprene waders are those good? What baits work best for saltwater bass ? pound test ? any other tips, tricks, advice to give me on my first time out. I will be going with my buddy I usually fish perris with definetly wont be going alone. Thanks guys.

2Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is great you will love it I am sure of it. As for waders I have used Neoprene and they will work fine, some guys go without waders just board shorts. I don't but it is fine to do that if you like. I prefer the inflatable PFD's but either way it is important to wear your PFD when you are on the water.

Lures most any freshwater bass lures will do just fine and any freshwater bass tackle setups are going to be plenty for you in the saltwater. If you are looking to pick up some more saltwater devoted lures here you go.

1. 1/4 oz. to 3/8th oz. Jig heads
2. 3" to 4" paddle tail swimbaits (3" are what I fish)
3. Hookup Baits - they just work

There is plenty more you can pick up but this is a good place to start. I fish anywhere from 6 lb to 8 lb test mono on my reels. But I also use 15lb to 20lb braid with 10lb fluoro leader great for sensitivity and strength. When are you planning to head out and where, If I can make it I will try to head out with you.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 pm

rayprado714

rayprado714
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks Jeff, Im not hard set on a date yet i can only fish on weekends. I am hoping for this sunday if not most likely the following weekend.

You mentioned hookup baits, is that specific brand of baits? or is it a style of rigging bait?

4Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Tue May 28, 2019 3:56 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Cool I hope maybe not this weekend but the following I can get out. I will let you know but if you can make it out before go for it. As for hookup baits it is a company I will post up a picture later when I have time.

5Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Tue May 28, 2019 4:41 pm

rayprado714

rayprado714
FTFF Gathering Officer

Much Appreciated,

Thank you,

6Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Tue May 28, 2019 8:23 pm

Bob G

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Rayproado714, congratulations on your Perris triumph. I have fished Perris a few times over the past month or so with very little success. I hope it will become a regular go-to; but, right now I am boycotting them because they won't honor my Senior pass between now and Labor Day (not Perris's fault. Came from Sacramento and surprised the staff out there.) I note the Prado in your user name. It is right around the corner from me, but I will not pay the exorbitant $23/day fee to launch my yak and fish in that pond.

So, the bays. I lover everything about them but the drive from Corona. It helps if I start before 5Am. Like everyone else, I have caught a few exotics. That is part of the charm.

I may be naive, but I don't feel any sense of danger at all in these bays. Not compared to the fast rivers I started 'yaking on. Well, let me qualify that--power boats. But, you don't have to venture into their channels if you choose not to; and they aren't as scary as some of the cowboys at Perris.

I fish from a kayak, and I am a terrible fisherman. But, if you can't hook up with a knowledgeable tuber, I would be happy to show you around some of the bays. I typically fish Alamitos or Huntington Harbor. Occasionally Newport during the week when I can work around the mob scenes. Actually, I mostly fish during the week, but lately am doing some Saturdays when family commitments don't take precedence. Never on Sunday. If you are desperate for company, give me a shout, and we can try to work it out. (I owe some pay forward for guys on this forum who have accepted a 'yaker, and generously helped me.)

One late thought. Float tubers in the bays have to be much more aware of the tides and winds than I do. Bottom line, if possible, it would be to your advantage to learn from those who are tuned into that aspect of tubing the bays. I can show you the geography, but cannot intelligently discuss your limits.

BTW, I found this site though the videos posted on Youtube by OrneryBob. You can google them OB has put out quite a bit of information about launch sites, etc. on various bays.

7Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Tue May 28, 2019 9:40 pm

Floatingbassturd

Floatingbassturd
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

From one largemouth fisherman to another, you're gonna love the saltwater bass. I use same basic Texas rig with glass bead and keitech easy shiners. Work just fine. Weight depends on your rod and what the wind is doing. I'm sure that's stuff you have in your tackle box already. I've heard hook up baits are great but I prefer not to support a felonious poachers company. We hit Huntington harbor a few evening a week and imo it is a good calm harbor to get your feet wet in. Anytime you want to come out let me know. You're welcome to come. Caught this little piggy just last week out there. Nothing compared to a 9 pounder (congrats) but it fought every bit as hard. You'll be surprised. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

8Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 am

rayprado714

rayprado714
FTFF Gathering Officer

Great stuff everyone I appreciate the feedback. I was thinking starting off at balboa island since im familiar with that area already and know what spots I would hit, but I will need some more spots, I saw on other posts references to " The Lab " where is that located? I defenintly need to check tide and wind totally forgot about that I can power through wind on a lake but wind and a strong current would be difficult. I will post when I know for sure i can get out there, Im sure ill be seeing you guys in the water soon. thanks again.

9Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Wed May 29, 2019 8:38 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Yes, you need to be careful when it comes to current, it can catch you off guard if you are not aware. The LAB is great I personally enjoy Huntington Harbour launching off of Seabridge Park. Also in Newport, a lot of us launch off of a sandy beach right next to the Coast Guard Station.

10Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Wed May 29, 2019 8:49 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

BobG brought up a point, TIDES.......find a sight you are comfortable with and follow the tides in and out. On days their is a lot of water movement, I bring along a yak anchor. Tides can be like rivers, you kick and you move nowhere. For me I fish HH and when the tides come in I go around the island from Seabridge Park. When the tides go out I launch from Sunset Boat Launch ($12) and fish the flats and the bridge. In reverse you use the tides to take you back to your launch site, makes for an enjoyable,stress less outing. Good luck and tight lines........GT

11Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Wed May 29, 2019 10:48 am

rayprado714

rayprado714
FTFF Gathering Officer

I'll admit i don't know much about tides. Do you guys prefer to fish incoming tides, outgoing, or in the middle ?

12Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Wed May 29, 2019 12:03 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I fish what ever the Sea Gods give me...........GT

13Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Empty Re: Ready to conquer my fear of the Salt Wed May 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Floatingbassturd

Floatingbassturd
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

As far as the tides what I did until I was comfortable was I would launch here in HH from seabridge and just go around the end of that peninsula right back to the other side of it. Once I got comfortable with the area and what the tides and winds would do I started exploring more of the harbor. I'm about to go jump in right now for a few hours. Lol. But just pick an area that keeps you fairly close to your launch point like a small island or pennisula and slowly venture out from there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum