FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Today at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Today at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

What do you do when you cramp on water...?

+5
nicugoalkeper
02bfishn
desmobob
jeffcpr
FloatTubeIQ
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Recently I watched a video where someone cramped on a float tube, away from shore obviously. That looked painful!

When I am on land, and cramp in my legs (seldom) I immediately stretch the offending muscle. Can't do that on the water but you also need to let/feet to paddle in.

What do you guys do when you cramp on water?

I realize this is not about equipment but not sure where else to post this query.

Moderator, feel free to shift my post or even delete if it is in the wrong place. Thanks a million.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

It's cool lets break this down for me I try to drink water the night before and sometime I will eat a banana on the way to the water (Don't take the Banana with you on the tube [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

On the water I have had some wicked cramps no you really cannot stretch on the water properly. But you will typically experience a cramp in the calf and or hamstring. If this starts to set in be sure to move you let and foot up and out of the water so you can pull your toe up and toward your body as best you can. Take some deep breathes while doing this. This will start to pull the cramp out hold it as long as you can and just relax.
The problem I see is are you in the water on a windy day or in fast moving current. If so this is going to minimize how long you can stay here to relieve the cramp. Regardless once the cramp has started you might be dealing with it for the rest of your day.
I have heard some people take packets of mustard with them on the water to help with cramps as it has potassium in it and that should also help you out as well.

Great question who else has anything to add on this question?

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

desmobob

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I often suffer from cramps in large muscles when I'm immersed in cold water (most of my float tube fishing!). Sometimes they hit me hard later, when I'm in bed. They seem to return despite stretching, walking, etc. For me, what really helps is to take an Ibuprofen immediately.

4What do you do when you cramp on water...?  Empty Cramping Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 am

02bfishn

FTFF Gathering Officer

New to float tubing, have not even been on the water yet - looking like a June AZ White Mountains trip will be my first - Annnnyway - past experience cramping from at the Gym and also pulling on too many Wahoo down south - Pickle Juice is your friend - be easy enough to keep a small bottle with while fishing.  It not instantaneous, but works pretty damn good.

Eric3501 likes this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

02bfishn wrote:New to float tubing, have not even been on the water yet - looking like a June AZ White Mountains trip will be my first - Annnnyway - past experience cramping from at the Gym and also pulling on too many Wahoo down south - Pickle Juice is your friend - be easy enough to keep a small bottle with while fishing.  It not instantaneous, but works pretty damn good.

Yep Pickle Juice nailed it.

nicugoalkeper

FTFF Gathering Officer

I think that having an anchor is good in those cases. Keeping you in one place is a good way to wait until you can recover. And oars help to get back so you don't force the feet.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

nicugoalkeper wrote:I think that having an anchor is good in those cases. Keeping you in one place is a good way to wait until you can recover. And oars help to get back so you don't force the feet.

That is very good point I have anchored myself to some docks before to recover on rough days.

Eric3501

FTFF Gathering Officer

I worked for years standing/walking on cement floors, (cook in the Army), Cramps can make a long day totally misserable. Pickle juice is the answer. I found Dill pickle juice works a lot better (for me anyway), than kosher pickle juice...

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Eric3501 wrote:I worked for years standing/walking on cement floors, (cook in the Army), Cramps can make a long day totally misserable. Pickle juice is the answer. I found Dill pickle juice works a lot better (for me anyway), than kosher pickle juice...

Could not agree more we should carry some with us when we go out.

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Pickle juice, hmmm…that will be interesting to explain to the wife haha. I always ate a banana prior to tubing. I’ve had a few cramps and it’s not fun. Last time was when kicking across the channel at HH and it was memorable to say the least. I try to make sure I have a Gatorade whenever I go out on the tube though. It’s quite the painful experience and even more so when you have a boat headed straight at you. The most important thing is to do some foot/leg stretches prior to launch to mitigate everything.

MarkG

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Whip out my drill paddle. Actually, I use it nearly all the time cuz I’m getting old and I’m lazy.

jeffcpr likes this post

SP Dan

SP Dan

I’d just stop kicking, relax the leg-cramp for awhile and then continue to kick back to my launch site.
A no brainer!  Thumbs Up lol
Or … I could float all-night until the tow-boat arrives!  Smile Ha ha ha!

I still, highly recommend kicking between the cramps! lol
And … try to (adjust) improve on your diet and exercise for your leg strength.  Thumbs Up

Perhaps you could try some waters’ with electrolytes added.

Good luck!

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum