FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 6:46 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 2:05 pm

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 1:40 am

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 4:34 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sun May 05, 2024 3:20 am

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 5:22 pm

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 8:33 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:39 pm

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:31 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pay to PLay : sidebar

+2
LGHT
bodfish
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pay to PLay : sidebar Empty Pay to PLay : sidebar Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:48 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I wish to make a sidebar to the Pay to Play Places thread.

Jeff I agree with you that the difficulty with the Pay to Play places is the cost. But I must mention that THIS IS THE FUTURE OF INLAND WATER SPORTFISHING IN CALIFORNIA.
I am of the opinion that sportfishing in California, (particularly Southern California) as a free, public, activity is no longer viable. Politically , financially, and socially, outdoor sporting activities are almost a nonentity. Privatization of our beloved sport is an inevitability. Pay to Play will become THE way to enjoy fishing here in the very near future.
There, I have said it., and I know this thread is going to ignite a firestorm, but I think most sportsman in California MUST agree, that fishing, as we have all enjoyed it up till now, here in the Golden State, is fast coming to an end and that privatization over the past 25 years is proving itself to be the next evolution of our sport.

Normally I would launch into a long and tedious defense of my assertions at this point but I think it is sufficient to say that I do not arrive at this conclusion without extensive evidence and deep rumination.
Instead I am going to assume that you will grant me the courtesy, of knowing of which I speak. I say this because I am more interested in hearing what you have to say in retort than me trying to argue details.

Please be honest and free with your responses, but ask yourself these few telling questions first.....

1) What do I see as the future of sportfishing in California?
2) What is my responsibility to my sport?
3) What have I done, and what can I do to protect and preserve my sport ?

With all due respect,

bodfish

2Pay to PLay : sidebar Empty Re: Pay to PLay : sidebar Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:42 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I admit that "lake fishing" might change if the DFG stops stocking, because there will simply be no fish to catch, but the ocean is always going to be free and in all honesty I prefer to fish the ocean anyway so I really don't mind fishing harbors for their bass.

Plus it's FREE!!

3Pay to PLay : sidebar Empty Re: Pay to PLay : sidebar Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:23 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I will admit I need to do some more reading on what is happening here here as far as our fishing community goes.
So where we are headed I am not sure, but I do think pay to play lakes are here to stay.

I think my responsobility it to share the joy of this sport but to also make sure people do the right thing while fishing. Only take what they will use and practice proper catch and release.

What have I done to protect and preserve my sport. I will say there is a lot more I should do but I have started at home I have taught my kids the importants of Catch and Release and my oldest is now doing just that the right way. My next goal is to teach them if they do keep there catch how to clean them not sure if my daughter is going to like this.

Now I feel like I need to learn more about or Sportfishing community.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Pay to PLay : sidebar Empty Re: Pay to PLay : sidebar Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I believe as long as we keep buyin fishin license an payin fer boat n tube launch dfg will keep stockin fish in lakes. There will allways b fish in lakes as long as we practice catch n release. Personally I dont like lake trout fishin lakes I prefer fly fishin streams n creeks. I get excited when they stock trout cuz I get to bring out the big swimbaits fer bass. Dont get me wrong bout catchin stockers its fun catchin limit but im in it for the holdovers n big bass. Stocker trout is jus bass food in my opinion Smile . I dont really know what the future for cali fishin will hold mabey more fees. All I know if theres more fees ill payem I cant help it love to fish. I want to get tubin recognized as a legitimate way to fish an not jus floatin n circles for fish like I hear so much when fishin. My goal is to try to get tubin huge, tv shows, big tournys an hopefully that would b my contribution to the sport I love.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

5Pay to PLay : sidebar Empty Re: Pay to PLay : sidebar Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:23 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LGHT wrote:I admit that "lake fishing" might change if the DFG stops stocking, because there will simply be no fish to catch, but the ocean is always going to be free and in all honesty I prefer to fish the ocean anyway so I really don't mind fishing harbors for their bass.

Plus it's FREE!!

MLPA You might want to do some reading.

6Pay to PLay : sidebar Empty Re: Pay to PLay : sidebar Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:31 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

All very good points and i have to admite i was just fish to fish and did not care about the fish i have never been more concerned about the catching of fish sence i have been on this site i belive being a part of this site has show me a lot that goes in to the sport. i am 40 been fish for a long time but just as i join this site and started tubing i have learned alot about the sport of fish (never thought as fishing as a sport) Just being honest. thanks to this site and all the member who have posted there concerns and opions and fact of fishing i do believe that this is my start on responsibility to the sport and concervation

7Pay to PLay : sidebar Empty Re: Pay to PLay : sidebar Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:54 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I predict fishing to evolve into privatization. I also suspect it will be its only salvation. I believe with forces like the MLPA at work in California you will see privatization become more and more a part of fresh water and inshore as well as offshore fishing. As it is HP is a major contributor to the MLPA and the DFG lobby.

You will fish under their terms only.

I have conversations such as this one to inspire and inform local fishermen that if they enjoy the sport they need to become educated and understand the direction the sport is going preferably or not. I try to teach a "don't take it for granted" attitude to the people I encounter while enjoying this sport. I stop (if I can)and report poachers rather than look the other way. I am involved in youth activities such as Dan Hernandez Youth Fishing to educate young anglers about the joys and proper techniques of fishing in general all though I must admit I am a student myself. I make fishing a conscious part of my daily life weather I am having a discussion, practicing a technique in the front yard or simply studying (reading) about everything from baits, presentations, CR , poaching, habitat behavior and ecological impact etc. It is a sport that stimulates my mind and my body.

I am a member of Keep America Fishing, United Anglers, Dan Hernandez Sport-fishing and his youth organization. I am friendly with any and all DFG officers I encounter.

I hold a valid fishing license and I do not fish with out it.

I regularly write my local representatives, congressmen and Governor regarding my feelings about the great sport of fishing, the MLPA, DFG and a host of other issues related and unrelated. This is very easy to do as a member of various organizations you simply apply your name to petitions and pre-fab letters to your local and state reps. All you need to do is just fill in personnel information and click.

This is a welcome topic and I thank you for posting. I hope more anglers on our forum, many whom I respect greatly, will chime in as I would be very interested to hear their opinion and quite frankly learn something.

8Pay to PLay : sidebar Empty Re: Pay to PLay : sidebar Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:08 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:
LGHT wrote:I admit that "lake fishing" might change if the DFG stops stocking, because there will simply be no fish to catch, but the ocean is always going to be free and in all honesty I prefer to fish the ocean anyway so I really don't mind fishing harbors for their bass.

Plus it's FREE!!

MLPA You might want to do some reading.

As a fathomier I've been fighting MLPA's for over 10 years and have always participated in fighting closures. As a matter of fact I got this closure notification this morning that was released yesterday.

October 5, 2011 by CA DFG News Leave a Comment

Media Contact:
Jordan Traverso, DFG Communications, (916) 654-9937
The abalone fishery along the California coast of Sonoma County is officially closed effective immediately. The abalone season remains open in the rest of the northern California coastal counties (Marin, Mendocino, Humboldt and Del Norte).

On Oct. 4, the Office of Administrative Law approved the emergency regulations for an abalone closure on the Sonoma County coast. The regulations became effective upon filing with the Secretary of State at 2:42 p.m.

On Sept. 15, the California Fish and Game Commission voted to close the fishery. This action was taken in the wake of confirmed reports of dead red abalone and other invertebrates on beaches and inside coves along the coast in these areas.

Data continue to be collected that shows an abalone die-off along the Sonoma coast beginning Aug. 27. According to Department of Fish and Game (DFG) biologists, these abalone deaths coincided with a local red tide bloom and calm ocean conditions. Although the exact reasons for the abalone deaths are not known, invertebrate die-offs have occurred in the past along the northern California coast due to lack of oxygen and/or poisoning when similar weather and bloom conditions existed but not at the magnitude of this event.

Reports of dead abalone and a variety of other invertebrates have come from Bodega Bay, Russian Gulch, Fort Ross, Timber Cove and Salt Point State Park in Sonoma County and as far north as Anchor Bay in Mendocino County. Other DFG biologists and game wardens have been collecting abalone, mussels and water samples since the problem started and are continuing to document reports from the public. The public is encouraged to report the location, date, and number of dead or dying abalone to Ian Taniguchi at (562) 342-7182 or by e-mail at itaniguchi@....

Divers are encouraged to avoid diving in the affected areas and cannot take abalone. Take is defined in Section 86 of the Fish and Game Code as “hunt, pursue, catch, capture, or kill, or attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture, or kill.

9Pay to PLay : sidebar Empty Re: Pay to PLay : sidebar Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:43 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow!
Fantastic exchange going on here! Just a couple of remarks.

To tubinferbass:
One of the arguments for discontinuing the trout stocking programs in Southern California reservoirs, particularly any of those "contaminated" with striped bass, is the perceived high attrition rate of the trout due to predation by local predatory species. The state does not wish to expend the funds for the planting programs in waters where the trout are simply "bass food". Just think what that will do to swim bait fishing here in SoCal where it was invented!

To waxon67
You are quite correct ALL FORMS of fishing in the state will soon be privatized. And yes I agree it will be it's only salvation. Particularly the inland waters. Unfortunately there is also an active opposition to ALL FORMS OF FISHING here in California because there is a perceived support for the notion amongst the general public. The tactic is to restrict access. Hence the MLPAs.

To ed5000x
You are right by definition fishing is not a sport. Except perhaps in the case of competitive fishing. Individual sportfishing is the practice of an ancient survival behavior, (instinct?) to pursue and capture (kill) a living thing, for food, or to appease an innate compulsion to predate. (pleasure?) We are predators, we hunt, we capture, but because we are thinking and self aware, we do it for sport, and thus not necessarily to kill. Good one Ed.

To LGHT
"lake fishing" or inland water fishing is THE primary form of fishing engaged in, here in California, and represents a majority of the revenue for the sportfishing industry and the DFG.
Bay and or estuary fishing is under attack a number of ways. The MLPAs will restrict access to the upper Newport Bay as of January 1, 2012. NO access , NO fishing . The Newport Bay is at this moment on the hitlist for closure because of the declining health of the upper bay. For years, the residents and businesses of the bay have sought to restrict access to the areas around their boatdocks and or storefronts. ( every time you bust a hook off on someones anchor or mooring line you fuel this fire.) No one is safe from scrutiny. And none of it is free.

Lastly,.... the opinion page

I personally believe we are in the fix we are in because,

WE AS FISHERMAN DID NOT DEMAND THE ENFORCEMENT AND IMPROVEMENT OF THE EXISTING FEDERAL MPAS,...
WE AS FISHERMAN DID NOT DEMAND THE ROCKFISH CLOSURES TO PROTECT THE SPAWNING PERIODS,...
WE AS FISHERMAN DO NOT DEMAND SLOT LIMITS AND SMALLER TAKE LIMITS,...
WE AS FISHERMAN ARE NOT THE ONES LEADING THE CHARGE TO PURSUE STRICTER CONSERVATION REGULATIONS ON US ALL!

IF WE WERE THE ONES IN THE LEAD THE ECO EXTREMISTS WOULD HAVE NOTHING TO SAY.

and I could only guess how much better fishing would be,.....

My humble opinion, thnx

bodfish

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum