FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Today at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 3:36 pm

» Motor project finished!
by GT Today at 3:03 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

What do you like best and least on your ride.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Just wondering what you guys think. What do you think is best about your tube and what do you wish could be changed or added to your tube to make it better. There is always something that we like and dislike so what is it on yours.

For me on the Gigbob I love the elevated platform, but the lack of tackle bags is an issue and they need to make new bas for it, or how about bags in general.
For my Maxxon 240, I like its room it has on the platform, but it needs better straps for the oars as well as better tackle bags.
The FLTB-5 is a well thought out boat and I really like the location of the backpack straps on the backrest of the seat. For me though the boat is just a little small wish it was just a little bigger overall. This is due to the fact all my boats now are much bigger then normal.

OK your turn what is best on your tube and what do you like the least.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SP Dan likes this post

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2What do you like best and least on your ride. Empty Ride Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:22 pm

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

ODC 420 - long lasting, nimble, discontinued

(+) Tons of built in storage
(+) Plenty of D rings to attach rod holders, net, boga, pleirs
(+) super light 12# inflated,  nimble, easy to maneuver
(+) inflatable seat, back rest mod
(+) My first one lasted 20 years

(-) Original ODC 420 had valves IN the zippered pocket -bad design. Second one with pro valves much better on the outside.  Both still in use.
(-) thin denier nylon fabric on top/PVC only on the bottom
(-) stitching coming loose over time
(-) ODC 420 Discontinued.  ODC light all fabric

Colorado Pontoon - Framed Trolling motor toon -way too heavy 75# just for pontoon and frame! (sold last year) -

(+) Big, 9 feet long, lots of storage, heavy duty frame, oars
(+) Able to add trolling motor, big battery, cooler
(+) Really increases your fishing range (able to fish 4-5 miles from launch with trolling motor)
(+) can use oars or fins
(+) So many pockets, tons of storage, anchor
(+) Easy raised swivel seat mod,
(-) Way too heavy, hard to get on top of SUV alone, need to mod transport wheel  to get down to water
(-) hard to store, hassle to break down/put together
(-) rides high, catches lots of wind

Scadden Detonator Lo Pro - Frameless

(+) Frameless, way lighter than colorado, easy to get on top of SUV solo
(+) 26# empty, easy to take down to water, easy to paddle, maneuver with fins
(+) lots of room, 9', can carry 2 batteries, trolling motor, cooler, weight capacity
(+) included 2 removable canvas tackle bags, kayak style seat
(+) Rigid floor is great, able to stand
(+) Low profile does not catch wind as much as colorado, faster

(-) $$
(-) huge boat compared to ODC
(-)thinner pvc - trade off for being light, already had a puncture from fish dorsal fin, easily patched.
(-) Sits low, water comes up on seat when going forward and full throttle and windy

Have to balance benefits of smaller tubes with thiner PVC vs bigger tubes, thicker, heavier PVC, long term durability
Thin for the win so far.

Last edited by jmytuna on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

SP Dan likes this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Cool thanks for listing your info on you tubes, and I like the images as well as video. I also had the ODC 420 that had the valves in the pocket. I thought I was in heaven until I saw and tried the Cumberland. I am also very interested in the Scadden Boats maybe some day I can swing it and land a few ot try out for myself. Thanks again for adding your insight.

jmytuna likes this post

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

Cumberland is doing great so far. Built some pvc rod holders but I’m rebuilding them in ABS (way lighter). Like the maneuverability of it and weight capacity. Good tackle bags on both sides and the area behind the seat is big enough for a bucket for stuff for longer days. Made a plastic tray out of a boot tray instead of netted spreader bar. Pretty happy so far until the FLTB-9 comes out then I’ll make a change.
Daughter is rocking a new FLTB-5 and is loving it. Lots of storage , very stable, and moved around pretty good on first couple trips out. Made a hard tray out of a boot / tray in place of the stripping net.

Both of us have little FIshHawk fish finders and they work decent for the bays and local lakes. Good for depth and temp. Just ok for actually marking fish. Sometimes they glitch.

jeffcpr and jmytuna like this post

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

BigMaxFloats wrote:Cumberland is doing great so far.  Built some pvc rod holders but I’m rebuilding them in ABS (way lighter).   Like the maneuverability of it and weight capacity.  Good tackle bags on both sides and the area behind the seat is big enough for a bucket for stuff for longer days. Made a plastic tray out of a boot tray instead of netted spreader bar.  Pretty happy so far until the FLTB-9 comes out then I’ll make a change.  
Daughter is rocking a new FLTB-5 and is loving it.  Lots of storage , very stable, and moved around pretty good on first couple trips out.  Made a hard tray out of a boot / tray in place of the stripping net.  

Both of us have little FIshHawk fish finders and they work decent for the bays and local lakes.  Good for depth and temp. Just ok for actually marking fish.  Sometimes they glitch.

Thanks for your insight I still believe the Cumberland is a top notch tube. But the FLTB-5 is right there with it. The Aprons have always been an issue so I know the tray is a much better option
I had a Fish hawk for awhile. The screen was to small for me. It worked but I could not see anything. But that is my eye sight for you.

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

Thanks for your insight I still believe the Cumberland is a top notch tube.  But the FLTB-5 is right there with it.  The Aprons have always been an issue so I know the tray is a much better option
I had a Fish hawk for awhile.  The screen was to small for me.  It worked but I could not see anything.  But that is my eye sight for you.[/quote]

On the Cumberland the tray was easy, just replaced the spreader bar and net with a piece of PVC and mounted a boot tray to it.

On the FLTB-5 there is only a net from the factory attached by clips. I used a wood slat and a piece of aluminum to mount the tray to. The slats slide under the forward tackle bag straps. Used a Velcro strap but only on one side for a quick escape if needed.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is great thanks for sharing the DIY stuff is so cool.

billyboat

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have the Classic Accessories Bighorn.I bought it last year and have used it many times. I'm not new to float tubing but it's been at least 25 years since I had one. First one I had was the round type and loved it. That was before I got into fly fishing. I now have the Bighorn and fly fish with it. As far as what I like about, what can I say, it does the job. Now as far as what I don't like about it: It has a large storage compartment on top of the back rest, this storage is useless when you are on the water. The reason for its uselessness is because you sit too low in the tube. The first time I took the tube out on the water, I put my fish net in there. Big mistake, I actually hurt my back trying to twist around to unzip the compartment and get the net out. I bought 2 stadium seat cushions to try this year to see how it works to raise me up in the seat.
There are storage compartments on both sides of the tube. The larger ones are ok, my folding fish net fits in one side and my fly boxes fit in the other side. There are long and shallow compartment on both side, I haven't figured out what they are used for, too small to be useful. One last thing, it could use more D rings.
I'll use the Bighorn this year but till the end of the fishing season I may look into an upgradd to a better float tube.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

billyboat wrote:I have the Classic Accessories Bighorn.I bought it last year and have used it many times. I'm not new to float tubing but it's been at least 25 years since I had one. First one I had was the round type and loved it. That was before I got into fly fishing. I now have the Bighorn and fly fish with it. As far as what I like about, what can I say, it does the job. Now as far as what I don't like about it: It has a large storage compartment on top of the back rest, this storage is useless when you are on the water. The reason for its uselessness is because you sit too low in the tube. The first time I took the tube out on the water, I put my fish net in there. Big mistake, I actually hurt my back trying to twist around to unzip the compartment and get the net out. I bought 2 stadium seat cushions to try this year to see how it works to raise me up in the seat.
There are storage compartments on both sides of the tube. The larger ones are ok, my folding fish net fits in one side and my fly boxes fit in the other side. There are long and shallow compartment on both side, I haven't figured out what they are used for, too small to be useful. One last thing, it could use more D rings.
I'll use the Bighorn this year but till the end of the fishing season I may look into an upgradd to a better float tube.

I had a bighorn it is a work horse to say the least. I agree some of the pockets just don't work. The large pock behind you I always simply put a towel inside. The filled the pocket to give it shape and I could reach over my head to unzip the pocket and dry my hands. It still was pretty useless even using it this way.

I have heard the pads can work well as far as getting out of the water just a little more. That's for your insight and posting up.

SP Dan

SP Dan

I always luv a new Cumberland ride and I dislike it when it gets old, worn out and dirty.

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum