FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

A side by side comparison

+5
Furb
dayhut
SP Dan
Whacked
jeffcpr
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A side by side comparison  Empty A side by side comparison Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:33 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So I have been float tube fishing for a quite sometime now and I have had some good luck over the years to have an opportunity to test ride many different tubes.  All of them have had there pro's and con's and I did share those in this attached link.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I thought I might take a moment to review to boats side by side the Float Plus 1 and the Cumberland.  I have had and used a Cumberland for many years.  These tubes are just short of amazing.  Most people that have used them love them and I can full agree.  When I got my first Cumberland I thought I was riding in style, and I was.  The Cumberland has a great weight rating and sits you high up out of the water.  They are built for longevity.  If you care for your Cumberland it will last you for years.  The PVC coated bottom was a great addition to the float tube and helped with mobility on the water as well as protection from things that might bump against your tube in the water.  There is not much I did not like about the Cumberland over the years.  Although the price has gone up and availability of has gone down. them has.  One of the biggest issues currently is finding replacement bladders, they are none existent currently.

I would like to place the Float Plus 1 next to the Cumberland.  They Float Plus 1 is my newest float tube from the Netherlands.  There has been a lot of discussion from us here in the US in regards to the color (Why Black Evil or Very Mad).  But I can say that in the almost 2 years that I have been in it I have not had any issues or problems with it getting to hot to handle.  While on the water it stays surprising cool.  The Float Plus is a top level hybrid float tube that is ready for the Float Plus Motor as well (hope they get it to the US soon).  The float tube is bladderless with 6 inflatable chambers.  The float tube has glued and heat pressed seems which adds to it overall strength.  It has a 480 lb. weight rating which is amazing and the over all size of the Float Plus 1 gives you plenty of comfortable seating room.  The side bags are detachable and are made to last.  You seat high out of the water and it move in the water like a dream stable and fast.

So where do I see the difference's well that is obvious. They hybrid float tube being bladderless is my selling point. No more dealing with leaks that are hard to find. The Cumberland and having issue located replacement tubes is not cool. The Float Plus 1 does not nor will it ever have this issue. Also the size of the tubes. The Float Plus is basically the Cumberland on Steroids. While the Cumberland is roomy and comfortable, but Float Plus 1 has just that much more room to share. The Cumberland comes with back pack straps and ready to go out of the box. The Float Plus 1 does not have this. But as must hybrids go that is a quick easy fix if you would lie to back pack the tube. Anther thing I am enjoying is the ability to add on what you need. Rod holders, and rod racks, as well as utility trays, and fish finder mount systems. They can carry just about anything. Also the weight capacity is noticeable as well. The color can still be and issue for people, the green of the Cumberland is pleasing for most but the black should not scare anyone off it is not has bad as you think. Finally cost is a big factor. While the Cumberland is much less then the Float Plus there still is the old adage you get what you pay for. In this case either is going to be a good investment, but that Float Plus may out last the Cumberland by years in all honesty.

I am a fan of both tubes and I cannot say that either is not worth a closer look. I can say this which ever you end up with you will enjoy your time fishing on the water. For me I enjoy my time in the Float Plus 1 currently. This is just y opinion what do you think?

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men

Whacked, Jerdon and BHfish like this post

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:47 pm

Whacked

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Nice write-up.
Both articles.

I see the Cumberland at $210 now, on the prime online site. Very affordable.
Is not having replacement bladders really a issue for the Cumberland?

On a more important question.
In your other post, you ranked the Roughneck at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Being bladderless, its closer to the Float Plus than the Cumberland, how would you rank it now?

bassman37 likes this post

3A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:47 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Whacked wrote:Nice write-up.
Both articles.

I see the Cumberland at $210 now, on the prime online site. Very affordable.
Is not having replacement bladders really a issue for the Cumberland?

On a more important question.
In your other post, you ranked the Roughneck at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Being bladderless, its closer to the Float Plus than the Cumberland, how would you rank it now?

I still list it high maybe number 3, the boat is great but the company left a bad taste in my mouth. That is a long story.

4A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:55 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I will be selling my (3) Cumberland float tubes.
I also have 2 to 3 left and right air-bladder replacements.

Let me know.

I live in Ramona California located in San Diego county.
I will be moving to Arizona soon, so if you’re interested, you may want to take a ride. I also have a custom built wood lap tray, a DIY one-of-a-kind.

SP Dan <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

5A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:28 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SP Dan wrote:I will be selling my (3) Cumberland float tubes.
I also have 2 to 3 left and right air-bladder replacements.

Let me know.

I live in Ramona California located in San Diego county.
I will be moving to Arizona soon, so if you’re interested, you may want to take a ride. I also have a custom built wood lap tray, a DIY one-of-a-kind.

SP Dan <“))><
I’d be interested in a bladder replacement set.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

6A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:31 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks Jeff.
The portability and compactness of the Cumberland is my main plus.

jeffcpr and bassman37 like this post

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

7A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:56 am

Furb

FTFF Gathering Officer

I really like the Cumberland being my first tube. Kind of like a old girlfriend. That being said I did get a fishcat cruiser last summer. I wanted theoar backup. Anyone else like the fishcat?

jeffcpr likes this post

8A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:18 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Furb wrote:I really like the Cumberland being my first tube. Kind of like a old girlfriend. That being said I did get a fishcat cruiser last summer. I wanted theoar backup. Anyone else like the fishcat?

Fish Cats are used by almost everyone, they also make a good product. Oddly enough I have only tried one once. never have I owned a Fish Cat of my own. The so do you like the Fish Cat cruiser?

9A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:38 pm

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks!

I have some very nice custom PVC ones that I think is on par with the FloatPlus 1. At the end of the day though. for quick outings and great agility, I'd venture that the Cumberland is noticeably lighter and more agile in the water. But for trolling motor use along with huge capacity with customized attachments including fish finders etc, then PVC type boats work better.

$ for $, the Cumberlands are really top value. And they are better designed than the Floatcats of comparable price point, especially the longer front extension beyond the seat so that if you lean forward, it will not dump the occupant into the water nearly as easily.

Just one person's observation.

jeffcpr wrote:So I have been float tube fishing for a quite sometime now and I have had some good luck over the years to have an opportunity to test ride many different tubes.  All of them have had there pro's and con's and I did share those in this attached link.

I thought I might take a moment to review to boats side by side the Float Plus 1 and the Cumberland.  I have had and used a Cumberland for many years.  These tubes are just short of amazing.  Most people that have used them love them and I can full agree.  When I got my first Cumberland I thought I was riding in style, and I was.  The Cumberland has a great weight rating and sits you high up out of the water.  They are built for longevity.  If you care for your Cumberland it will last you for years.  The PVC coated bottom was a great addition to the float tube and helped with mobility on the water as well as protection from things that might bump against your tube in the water.  There is not much I did not like about the Cumberland over the years.  Although the price has gone up and availability of has gone down. them has.  One of the biggest issues currently is finding replacement bladders, they are none existent currently.

I would like to place the Float Plus 1 next to the Cumberland.  They Float Plus 1 is my newest float tube from the Netherlands.  There has been a lot of discussion from us here in the US in regards to the color (Why Black Evil or Very Mad).  But I can say that in the almost 2 years that I have been in it I have not had any issues or problems with it getting to hot to handle.  While on the water it stays surprising cool.  The Float Plus is a top level hybrid float tube that is ready for the Float Plus Motor as well (hope they get it to the US soon).  The float tube is bladderless with 6 inflatable chambers.  The float tube has glued and heat pressed seems which adds to it overall strength.  It has a 480 lb. weight rating which is amazing and the over all size of the Float Plus 1 gives you plenty of comfortable seating room.  The side bags are detachable and are made to last.  You seat high out of the water and it move in the water like a dream stable and fast.

So where do I see the difference's well that is obvious.  They hybrid float tube being bladderless is my selling point.  No more dealing with leaks that are hard to find.  The Cumberland and having issue located replacement tubes is not cool.  The Float Plus 1 does not nor will it ever have this issue.  Also the size of the tubes.  The Float Plus is basically the Cumberland on Steroids.  While the Cumberland is roomy and comfortable, but Float Plus 1 has just that much more room to share.  The Cumberland comes with back pack straps and ready to go out of the box.  The Float Plus 1 does not have this.  But as must hybrids go that is a quick easy fix if you would lie to back pack the tube.  Anther thing I am enjoying is the ability to add on what you need.  Rod holders, and rod racks, as well as utility trays, and fish finder mount systems.  They can carry just about anything.  Also the weight capacity is noticeable as well.   The color can still be and issue for people, the green of the Cumberland is pleasing for most but the black should not scare anyone off it is not has bad as you think.  Finally cost is a big factor. While the Cumberland is much less then the Float Plus there still is the old adage you get what you pay for.  In this case either is going to be a good investment, but that Float Plus may out last the Cumberland by years in all honesty.  

I am a fan of both tubes and I cannot say that either is not worth a closer look.  I can say this which ever you end up with you will enjoy your time fishing on the water.  For me I enjoy my time in the Float Plus 1 currently.  This is just y opinion what do you think?  

jeffcpr and bassman37 like this post

10A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:45 am

Luremaker62

FTFF Gathering Officer

For anyone looking for Cumberland bladders, I was told by Classic Accessories that they will be available by late May.

I sure like the look of the Float Plus 1. With myself and a lot of float tube anglers in my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) portability is an issue. We use float tubes to get into lakes that are off the radar for boat anglers. Even some kayakers dont want to walk into the 400 yards to 3/4 mile through the woods to get to a lake. The Cumberland can be worn with backpack straps as well as just carried on your shoulder through really narrow areas. So, as much as we would love to upgrade to a Float Plus 1, portability is the issue. The leaks and bladder availability issues drive me crazy too, but its still the best tube that's extremely portable.

11A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:47 am

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Luremaker62 wrote:For anyone looking for Cumberland bladders, I was told by Classic Accessories that they will be available by late May.

I sure like the look of the Float Plus 1.  With myself and a lot of float tube anglers in my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) portability is an issue.  We use float tubes to get into lakes that are off the radar for boat anglers.  Even some kayakers dont want to walk into the 400 yards to 3/4 mile through the woods to get to a lake.  The Cumberland can be worn with backpack straps as well as just carried on your shoulder through really narrow areas.  So, as much as we would love to upgrade to a Float Plus 1, portability is the issue.  The leaks and bladder availability issues drive me crazy too, but its still the best tube that's extremely portable.  

The  Cumberland's light weight and compact size is a huge advantage if you have to portage some distance. It is actually possible to Motorize it but will take a bit of work.

bassman37 likes this post

12A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:23 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

My first float tube was a Fish Cat 4 Deluxe.
I luv’d my Fish Cat but I like my Cumberlands even more.

SP Dan <“))><

13A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:02 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have to say the Cumberland is just a well thought out float tube and is hard to beat. I like my hybrids but this tube will always have it spot on the water.

14A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:26 am

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

I can also do a legit side by side comparison.   The Cumberland is an amazing tube.  Light, versatile, holds a lot of weight, very maneuverable, nice storage and easily accessorized.  I’ve even added the glue on motor mount underneath for my Bixpy motor so it can be motorized.( and works awesome, i might add).  The Float Plus 1 is everything the Cumberland is only bigger and better.  Super comfortable and surprisingly light for its size. It’s very customizable but you have to do it yourself with glue on d rings. It comes with the motor mount already installed for their motor but we found out it’s a universal slide and lock mount so Bixpy clipped right in . I haven’t been able to really use the motor since last trip out we ran into an algae bloom and a disaster day of weeds. I bought the wheel add on so to and from the beach isn’t too bad but if I were to go someplace where there was a I hike in I would definitely be using the Cumberland.  As I get more seat time on the Float plus 1 , especially when I can use the motor more , I’m sure it will become my favorite but the Cumberland will still get plenty of use and will always be a staple in the fleet.

jeffcpr likes this post

15A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:17 am

Luremaker62

FTFF Gathering Officer

What is the weight on the FP1?

16A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:41 am

Whacked

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Luremaker62 wrote:For anyone looking for Cumberland bladders, I was told by Classic Accessories that they will be available by late May.

I sure like the look of the Float Plus 1.  With myself and a lot of float tube anglers in my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) portability is an issue.  We use float tubes to get into lakes that are off the radar for boat anglers.  Even some kayakers dont want to walk into the 400 yards to 3/4 mile through the woods to get to a lake.  The Cumberland can be worn with backpack straps as well as just carried on your shoulder through really narrow areas.  So, as much as we would love to upgrade to a Float Plus 1, portability is the issue.  The leaks and bladder availability issues drive me crazy too, but its still the best tube that's extremely portable.  

At my favorite fishin lake the kayaker's need a trailer for their rig.
minn kota, dozen or so rods, sonar, this and that it seems like there is barely enough room to sit. They remind me of the former Soviet Union "Fishing" boats. You've probably seen pictures of them. So many radar & antennas protruding everywhere it the electro waves will kill any seagulls that get near it. Must be legit fishing and not spying 'cause its a fishing boat right? lol
At what point would it be better/easier to ditch the 'yak and buy a aluminum outboard?

I like the simplicity of a tube. I like my pontoon for the larger lakes.

17A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:30 pm

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

Luremaker62 wrote:What is the weight on the FP1?

About 27 lbs empty.   With tackle and the wheel kit it’s about 35lbs.   I can carry it a short distance straight with the handles but would wheel  it if there’s a path.  I glued on d-rings on the bottom to add some back pack straps so i think it’s totally do-able.  Several companies make padded straps that I’m looking into and should work fine to remove the wheels and carry it into a short hike lake. But most likely would take the Cumberland to anywhere,  in the sierras for example, that we would hike in.

jeffcpr and SP Dan like this post

18A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Wed May 10, 2023 6:49 am

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

This is all great information. Thanks for sharing guys!

jeffcpr likes this post

19A side by side comparison  Empty Re: A side by side comparison Sat May 13, 2023 10:28 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Lov’n all the intel folks!!! 👍🏼

SP Dan <“))><

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum