FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Good Inexpensive Battery and anchor weight and manual for Scadden toon

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Charva12

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi- new to forum with a couple questions...
Just purchased a 7 yr old NFO Scadden Cardiac Canyon 11 ft (yellow bladderless floats, red alum frame). Looking for a user manual, mainly just to be able to figure out how to fit it in the bag! Also looking for a good (cheap and light!)deep cycle battery suggestion for a c2 Eura Minn Kota motor (30 thrust) and also wondering if a 1 lb anchor is enough weight or if a 3 lb anchor is too much weight. Plan on using at Spinney and other CO lakes but eventually on streams as well.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Charva

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

welcome tot he forums n sorry cant help u out there

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you got yourself a great pontoon to play with. I have the Dave Scadden Sunrise, 9.5ft single pontoon. I have a 55lbs thrust Minn Kota Dura 2, running off a 55Ahr deep cycle Optima battery. Freakishly heavy. Try to find a nice 100AHr marine battery for much lighter approach if you want to hang in the water all day, or the 50AHr marine battery is more that sufficient for the short days.

1, or 3lbs, grappling anchor is definitely not enough. 5lbs fluke/mushroom anchor should be the way to go if your waters have sandy/muddy bottom. If you're using the pontoon in a rocky bottom or lake, best to go grappling type. Remember the rule of 3-to-1 anchor rope length. 3 times the length of rope to 1 time the depth. Otherwise, you'll be dragging the anchor with you as the wind kicks up. I'm using a Fish Cat 4 LCS, and 3lbs grappling anchor barely immobilize me in water with wind between 10 to 15mph. On the pontoon, 5lbs fluke holds me down pretty nicely, but once the wind kicks up towards 15mph, I'm dragging my anchor.

Be ready to bring yourself a pair of fins to kick as well when you can. The fins will help you to stabilize your pontoon on light windy days, when anchor is not needed.

4Good Inexpensive Battery and anchor weight and manual for Scadden toon Empty Great Advice Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Charva12

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks Asian Guy! I was looking at a 3 lb anchor (folding) from Bass- will likely get the 5 lb one now. Got a Cella's Advanced angler AGM 55 AH battery from cabellas on the way- not happy with the 38 lb weight, but it was somewhat affordable on sale and should last for me a full day with sporadic use. (Had to cut cost somewhere!) Thanks for the anchor info as well- new to all this toon stuff, so any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Charva, there are plenty of things you can do with an 11-foot pontoon. My gosh, that pontoon is a deluxe Class 4 rapid pontoon. If you're a fly fishing fool like me, a standing platform is a great way to go.

If you haven't got a fish finder yet, invest in a nice Down Sonar Imaging unit to mount onto it. It will be a God-sent with that pontoon.

Now, my further advice to you from years in using the pontoon is, do not use the single wheel barrel system that comes with the pontoon. When you trek the pontoon, with the full battery, motor, and gears on it, the single wheel barrel system will fail miserably. It's not because it can't handle the pay load, rather, you will suffer physically. I spent a bit of money to have a welder create a dual wheels transport system to support all the weights. Rather than talking, here's mine, minus the motor and battery:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum