FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Today at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Today at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Inexpensive Waders?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Inexpensive Waders? Empty Inexpensive Waders? Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:10 pm

FishyD

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hey guys I was wondering what the cheapest waders that will still hold up were? I am low on cash and want some waders for this cold nebraska weather. They don't need to be insulated just something to keep the water off.

2Inexpensive Waders? Empty Re: Inexpensive Waders? Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Neoprene is cheap. Pretty warm too.

3Inexpensive Waders? Empty Re: Inexpensive Waders? Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:22 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Bass pro online has good prices

4Inexpensive Waders? Empty Re: Inexpensive Waders? Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:38 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Breathable, loose fitting:
Frogg Toggs Hellbender. $99 with free shipping on Amazon, or FlyFishing USA. Plenty of site that will sell down to $75 during holiday sales, which is coming around the corner very quickly. Will be buying one for my wife.

Neoprene, I'm not too fond of it. When you sweat, which you will, it's not a pretty fun thing to remove as you need to take a quick restroom break.

5Inexpensive Waders? Empty Re: Inexpensive Waders? Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

TheAsianGuy wrote:Breathable, loose fitting:
Frogg Toggs Hellbender. $99 with free shipping on Amazon, or FlyFishing USA. Plenty of site that will sell down to $75 during holiday sales, which is coming around the corner very quickly. Will be buying one for my wife.

Neoprene, I'm not too fond of it. When you sweat, which you will, it's not a pretty fun thing to remove as you need to take a quick restroom break.

Frogg Togs are very thin and rip super easy. The Poster lives in Nebraska.
Might sweat a little in Neoprene unless you get them a little bigger, but unexpected leaks are worse, specially if colder. I know a ton of people that still use Neoprene.
I think if you want breathables, get ready to pay for them. I paid close to $300. for mine and got 5 years out of them so far, knock on wood. Still dry as a bone.
For breathables look at Cabela's, L.L. Bean, Redington for your good lower priced waders. Even my breathable Hip waders cost over $100.

And Never wear cotton under any waders.

6Inexpensive Waders? Empty Re: Inexpensive Waders? Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:06 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Renegade wrote:
Frogg Togs are very thin and rip super easy.  The Poster lives in Nebraska.  
Might sweat a little in Neoprene unless you get them a little bigger, but unexpected leaks are worse, specially if colder.  I know a ton of people that still use Neoprene.  
I think if you want breathables, get ready to pay for them.  I paid close to $300. for mine and got 5 years out of them so far, knock on wood.  Still dry as a bone.
For breathables look at Cabela's, L.L. Bean, Redington for your good lower priced waders.   Even my breathable Hip waders cost over $100.

So far, so good with the Frogg Toggs. I don't wear it weekly to wear it out to the point of ripping. However, I do understand about the tearing at the seams issue, due to improper sizing. It happened to me with other high end waders as well. Found one at the lower price, just 1in looser, and much more comfy no matter how much I move in, and on the cold water. The issues with the water seeping through the neoprene socks have been resolved with the newer model of the Hellbender. Of course, nothing is truly is fixed if it failed to have constant quality control. Got a few LL Bean users tossed their waders away after 2 years as well. That why I chose the cheaper alternative and give it a test spin. so far, after 1 year, still good.

However, you are right about being in Nebraska. I have friends over there too, and their methods have been using the breathable waders with wicking armor layers. Of course, even with neoprene, there only can be so much tolerance one can have. Used to have a pair to hit the waters in the mountain during winter. Let just say it wasn't fun a few hours in once the chill air and close to frozen water got the hold of you.

7Inexpensive Waders? Empty Re: Inexpensive Waders? Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

TheAsianGuy wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Frogg Togs are very thin and rip super easy.  The Poster lives in Nebraska.  
Might sweat a little in Neoprene unless you get them a little bigger, but unexpected leaks are worse, specially if colder.  I know a ton of people that still use Neoprene.  
I think if you want breathables, get ready to pay for them.  I paid close to $300. for mine and got 5 years out of them so far, knock on wood.  Still dry as a bone.
For breathables look at Cabela's, L.L. Bean, Redington for your good lower priced waders.   Even my breathable Hip waders cost over $100.

So far, so good with the Frogg Toggs. I don't wear it weekly to wear it out to the point of ripping. However, I do understand about the tearing at the seams issue, due to improper sizing. It happened to me with other high end waders as well. Found one at the lower price, just 1in looser, and much more comfy no matter how much I move in, and on the cold water. The issues with the water seeping through the neoprene socks have been resolved with the newer model of the Hellbender. Of course, nothing is truly is fixed if it failed to have constant quality control. Got a few LL Bean users tossed their waders away after 2 years as well. That why I chose the cheaper alternative and give it a test spin. so far, after 1 year, still good.

However, you are right about being in Nebraska. I have friends over there too, and their methods have been using the breathable waders with wicking armor layers. Of course, even with neoprene, there only can be so much tolerance one can have. Used to have a pair to hit the waters in the mountain during winter. Let just say it wasn't fun a few hours in once the chill air and close to frozen water got the hold of you.

True that. I will put a vote out for Willy J (William Joesph)for waders too. They are the 5 year and going strong. My hippers are L.L.Bean and 4 years with no issues. I wear the under armor and fish year round.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When the guides ice up on every other cast, THEN it's time to go home. Will say, there have been times I miss my Neos.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum