FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 10:02 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by jeffcpr Today at 9:46 am

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 5:05 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

BAY FISHING

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1BAY FISHING Empty BAY FISHING Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:48 am

tubefish

tubefish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

hi, does anyone here every go to mission bay or shelter island?

and when your float tubeing out there, what company do you buy your lures from like the grubs and jig heads? and what kind do you get?

thanks a bunch

i havent fished on a float tube at those places but have on the rocks

http://www.austinlures.webs.com

2BAY FISHING Empty Re: BAY FISHING Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:27 am

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I hear that Dana Landing next to the launch ramp in MIssion Bay is the place to go for advice on what to use and where to fish in those southern bays.
I've also heard that their deli is killer for sandwiches.

3BAY FISHING Empty Re: BAY FISHING Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:31 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I might fish there right now actually...from the shore. Ive been wanting to tube it for awhile and need to get on that soon.

The big thing about mission bay is eel grass...and although annoying at times it is where the hogs live so it's a good thing. Spinner baits are really popular here and my only saltwater fish caught on a spinnerbait was in mission bay...and a nice one too. So spinnerbaits are good...because they are pretty much weedless. Try working it over the grass and if that doesnt work i like to hop them...crank a few times let it flutter down and repeat.

Other baits that are popular there are big hammer's BUT....on a regular led head you will get hung up a lot. Some guys like to throw the BH's on a warbaita head but in my opinion those heads are too big and bulky for eels grass and are better for the kelp.

I fish the T&C swimgrubs a lot and do really well with them everywhere. The cool thing is that you can texas rig them with a Gamu 1/0 EWG hook wiyh a pegged weight (toothpick betwrrn weight and line to prevent it from sliding). Seriously any soft plastic bait or gub will work...the key is working it through the eel grass without getting hung up.

For colors...well check out my "Picking the right color" post but i try to use colora that resemble what is in that area. So if im working the eel grass ghost shrimp and razor clam colora are good....anything orange works well for me near eel grass. Good luck man hopefully this helped you out...im not a MB expert (yet) but im sure what i just said will work.

Also check out the smaller brush hogs on a 1/4oz 1/0 owner sled head...weedless and effective. Any worm will work texas rigged...check out the Big Hammer salt shakers....those are great!

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

4BAY FISHING Empty Re: BAY FISHING Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:35 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ohhhh and in2deep just reminded me about something at Dana Landing...they have Owner Bullet type 1/0 offset hooks there that are pretty much like the Gamu hooked i juat postes about...except the weight is part of the hook (bad thing is that 1/4oz is the heaviest they make).....but these hooks match up perfectly with the t&c's and many other baits and take away yhe need to "peg" your bullet weight...kind of experience but very handy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

5BAY FISHING Empty Re: BAY FISHING Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Basshead

Basshead
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

used to live 10 mins from mission bay and fished it regularly. The best bait I have ever used was the 5 in berkely gulp jerk shad in nuclear chicken or new penny. Rig it texas rigged with a bullet weight and a ewg worm hook. 2/O or 3/o should be fine. throw it into the eels grass and slowly drag it on the bottom and give it a pop every few cranks. Stay in contact with the ground and you will kill the bay bass and halibut. Remember to set the hook hard on these guys while cranking and keep pressure on.

6BAY FISHING Empty Re: BAY FISHING Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Basshead

Basshead
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

And it is true they have great sammies at the dana landing shop where they also sell the gulp shads. get the club sandwich think it was called the yacht club

7BAY FISHING Empty Re: BAY FISHING Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:38 pm

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

i LOVE DIEGO AND MISION BY FISHED THEM COUNTLESS TIMES FROM TUBE ,TOON,BOAT SHORE YOU NAME IT.Mission bay is hit or miss but work any area with eel grass and rock for sure and the standard dock fishing too... mission bay bass seem to adore berkley frenzy crank baits and big spinnerbaits slow rolled along the bottom. as for diego bay..... its so big its hard to say wher is best but i do my best work all around the area that contains the sportfishing fleet. theres a tackle store on rosecrans called anglers choice that is a bayfishermans dream store.so be sure to check them out. I do well dropshotting silver or white flukes. lucky craft pointer minnows, and any big hammer style bait as long as the jig head i use has an underspin blade attached..... hit me up for more info and good luck

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum