FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does your pontoon fit in your cars trunk?

+4
fishslayer
Aquaholic38
MASSfisher
Streak
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Does your pontoon fit in your cars trunk? Empty Does your pontoon fit in your cars trunk? Sun May 13, 2012 12:04 am

Streak

FTFF Gathering Officer

In a quest to cover more water in the bay I am thinking of getting a pontoon in addition to the Fishcat tube I already own.

I will probably look at an 8 or 9 foot pontoon.

I have a regular sedan and wanted to know how much you would have to take the pontoon down to fit in the trunk and consequently how long it would take to assemble and inflate at the water.

Are there certain makes and models that make this easier than others?

Thanks.

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Not familiar with toons but I wonder if some type of roof rack would be an option?

Not sure if thats something you are willing to do, but I imagine it would make things so much easier.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a 9 feet dinghy and I tie it up on the roof of my truck fully inflated. no rack. It would work with a toon the same way.

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

most pontoon frames actually come apart, I used to carry mine in the trunk of my Mazda MX-6...

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Mine is roughly 10 feet in length. As fishslayer indicated, most pontoon frames will break down to fit neatly into the trunk. However, the total time to reassemble based on how familiar you are with your pontoon. Basic pontoon setup, it takes about 25 to assemble, that's even with your best knowledge and familiarity with your toon. Just to deploy from the rack, inflate, and go, roughly 15 minutes. Remember, that's just the basic setup. If you retrofit your toon with tons of gears, that will take a hell lot of time.

However, some smaller toons, such as the 8 or 9 footer, you can fit the frame into the back side of the sedan. The bladders can go into the trunk. This will save you about 10 minutes of assembling.

Watertooner

Watertooner
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I just got back from an afternoon of fishing at a local lake with a buddy. He doesn't own any equipment whatsoever, but I have two Classic Accessories Madison toons (7 footers). I can haul both toons and all my gear for two fishermen in a Honda Civic. I break the toons down into three pieces each - one seat frame and two bladder frames. By folding the back seat of the Civic down and deflating all four bladders (still strapped to their frames), it all stows pretty slick. It takes me 20-25 minutes to set up each toon, but that includes inflation, attaching anchor deck, stripping apron and Scotty rod holder as well as oars, fishfinder, fish basket, net, rods, waders, and tackle, etc. Take down is about 15 minutes.

The highlight of today's outing was hooking two fish using a BulletBobber while trailing a popper with a skirt. Landed one feisty bluegill and lost a tussle with a bass. Need to do a better job of setting the hook. Can't hardly wait to try the BulletBobbers on my trip to the Mississippi River in about two weeks. I'm ready to battle some northerns.

Streak

FTFF Gathering Officer

Many thanks for the input.

Devil Dog

Devil Dog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Obviously getting a 12V air pump will save you all sorts of time inflating the toons, the one I had would inflate my 8' pontoons in a few mins, as already stated getting the frame together and putting everything together is time consuming, if you figure out a way to "prep" everything so when you get there it'll save you some time. As for fully inflating and strapping it down to your roof? personally not a good idea especially now since it's gonna start getting hotter, just like a float tube the bladders will expand and pop goes the bladder.

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I do have a 12VDC pump, as well as a double action hand pump. The electric pump makes thing go fast! Saving a few minutes on the pumping will help you with the total setup time. If you're slapping the bladder top side with the frame and all, make sure to hunker the rig down tightly. High speed on the freeways will cause your rig to sail. This is why I don't place any more of my rig at the top side, rather than, loading it into the car for safe transport. Rather take the longer route to secure my rig than to damage/lose my rig because I'm lazy. You're talking about over $1500 of equipment.

Streak

FTFF Gathering Officer

A friend just got a 9' pontoon from Outcast. When next together I will see how it can be made to fit in my car!

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have a Nissan Xterra with a nice roof rack. My Togiak float tube fully inflated fits in the back with my gear.

http://bassinthehood.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum