FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question On Tolling Motors

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Question On Tolling Motors Empty Question On Tolling Motors Sat May 26, 2012 10:39 am

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

As you might know, I just picked up a pontoon and would like to get a electric tolling motor for it.

My question is how many lbs of thrust would optimal to push a pontoon?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

2Question On Tolling Motors Empty Re: Question On Tolling Motors Sat May 26, 2012 11:58 am

BPS has a small TM for kayaks, I'm sure that would be plenty for your toon. The shaft is only like 36"

3Question On Tolling Motors Empty Re: Question On Tolling Motors Sat May 26, 2012 12:22 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

miller wrote:BPS has a small TM for kayaks, I'm sure that would be plenty for your toon. The shaft is only like 36"

Ok, I checked out BPS and found 3 BPS trollers, each thrust ranging from 30-55lbs.

Would 55lbs be overkill?

4Question On Tolling Motors Empty Re: Question On Tolling Motors Sat May 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I don't think it would, your battery life would last longer as you wouldn't need the full 55lb. With something smaller you may end up running at full thrust 90% of the time and may drain the battery life faster. I have seen guy with little 2.5hp gas motors on them

5Question On Tolling Motors Empty Re: Question On Tolling Motors Sat May 26, 2012 4:25 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

miller wrote:I don't think it would, your battery life would last longer as you wouldn't need the full 55lb. With something smaller you may end up running at full thrust 90% of the time and may drain the battery life faster. I have seen guy with little 2.5hp gas motors on them

Great point.

Thanks for the help.

6Question On Tolling Motors Empty Re: Question On Tolling Motors Sat May 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Just to give you an idea, a 36lb thrust TM will pull/push a 14' tin boat around all day..get the smallest one you can.. Wink

7Question On Tolling Motors Empty Re: Question On Tolling Motors Sat May 26, 2012 9:10 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Flyfishingfool,
So! your goin whole hog and putting a motor on your boat? Good for you.
Here are some of the things I have learned about motors on a toon.

First of all there are very few trolling motors actually made to be used on toons. Perhaps the best, and most affordable is the Minnkota Endura 36. It is almost perfect. (and cheap!) 36 lbs. of thrust and a 12v power system. Light and easy to store and transport. 36lbs is more than plenty of thrust for most applications and the battery life is good. I think you will find that the battery life is more important than thrust initially.
The key to performance, I have found, is balance, and trim.

When I first put a motor on my toon I found that the further rearward I could mount the motor in relation to the main load, (my big fat ass) the better. So I spent a bit of time testing where exactly to put the frame on the toons adjusting forward and back until I got the best forward plane while under way. (I eventually had my frame stretched 6" but that is just me) Also the trim (angle of the motor in the water, in relation to level forward motion) was a trial and error process until I found the best angle for the best forward motion.

NOTE; You will find that for best performance under power will require inflating your toons a bit stiffer than you may have inflated your toob. (mine are rock hard). the stiffer the toons the faster and more maneuverable they are.

The battery is it's own passle of challenges. Obviously the smallest but most powerful and long lasting battery is preferable. Alas,.. that means cost. I mount mine directly behind me on the rear deck. I also suggest a battery box for protection, transporting and anchoring. Cabelas makes a great one.

For steerage I use an articulated tiller extension (again a Cabelas product) which allows me to face forward but still have complete steerage and power control of the motor. NOTE: I did modify my motor, by rotating the control head about 45 degrees clockwise to allow easier steering, but this is not necessary.

Mounting an electric motor on your toon is a commitment and does add some extra effort to your trip but it is well worth it and expands your fishing horizons exponentially.

bodfish

PM me and we can talk in more detail

8Question On Tolling Motors Empty Re: Question On Tolling Motors Sat May 26, 2012 9:26 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

Hammer 4 wrote:Just to give you an idea, a 36lb thrust TM will pull/push a 14' tin boat around all day..get the smallest one you can.. Wink

But I wanna go fast.

Thanks for the info. BPS has a 30lb with a 30" shaft for $99.

Hopefully BPS employees get a discount on trolling motors.

9Question On Tolling Motors Empty Re: Question On Tolling Motors Sat May 26, 2012 10:08 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

bodfish wrote:
Hey Flyfishingfool,
So! your goin whole hog and putting a motor on your boat? Good for you.
Here are some of the things I have learned about motors on a toon.

First of all there are very few trolling motors actually made to be used on toons. Perhaps the best, and most affordable is the Minnkota Endura 36. It is almost perfect. (and cheap!) 36 lbs. of thrust and a 12v power system. Light and easy to store and transport. 36lbs is more than plenty of thrust for most applications and the battery life is good. I think you will find that the battery life is more important than thrust initially.
The key to performance, I have found, is balance, and trim.

When I first put a motor on my toon I found that the further rearward I could mount the motor in relation to the main load, (my big fat ass) the better. So I spent a bit of time testing where exactly to put the frame on the toons adjusting forward and back until I got the best forward plane while under way. (I eventually had my frame stretched 6" but that is just me) Also the trim (angle of the motor in the water, in relation to level forward motion) was a trial and error process until I found the best angle for the best forward motion.

NOTE; You will find that for best performance under power will require inflating your toons a bit stiffer than you may have inflated your toob. (mine are rock hard). the stiffer the toons the faster and more maneuverable they are.

The battery is it's own passle of challenges. Obviously the smallest but most powerful and long lasting battery is preferable. Alas,.. that means cost. I mount mine directly behind me on the rear deck. I also suggest a battery box for protection, transporting and anchoring. Cabelas makes a great one.

For steerage I use an articulated tiller extension (again a Cabelas product) which allows me to face forward but still have complete steerage and power control of the motor. NOTE: I did modify my motor, by rotating the control head about 45 degrees clockwise to allow easier steering, but this is not necessary.

Mounting an electric motor on your toon is a commitment and does add some extra effort to your trip but it is well worth it and expands your fishing horizons exponentially.

bodfish

PM me and we can talk in more detail

Thanks for taking the time out to post all this info.

the weight of a motor a battery did concern me. I was thinking of mounting the battery close behind the seat and i did see the battery case on cabelas which is a good idea to have.

Any batteries that you would recommend?

As for the motor, the transom mount is attach to a adjustable frame that extends and retracts for balance.

I'm in no rush to get a motor setup. Like you say, mounting a motor is a commitment, and I don't wanna make the mistake of purchasing the wrong equipment.

I will definitely be PMing you for more info.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum