FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pros and cons of a crossbar

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pros and cons of a crossbar Empty Pros and cons of a crossbar Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Small Water Pro

FTFF Gathering Officer

We see The fatcats all the time and they seem to be very popular, but they have no crossbars? Arent crossbars safier and stabilize tube better? What are the disadvantages of them?
What makes the fatcat tubes the most used? Thanks guys.
We use Togiaks, how do they compare to the cats-your opinions

2Pros and cons of a crossbar Empty Re: Pros and cons of a crossbar Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:12 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Crossbars suck!

With the fishcat and similar tubes, the foam seat keeps each side of the tube properly separated.

I guess you get used to the crossbar if your tube has one....but I went from a crossbar tube to a fishcat and back again...and I can definitely say that I hate it. Cant wait to pick up a new fish cat this week.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

3Pros and cons of a crossbar Empty Re: Pros and cons of a crossbar Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:54 pm

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

MASSfisher wrote:Crossbars suck!

With the fishcat and similar tubes, the foam seat keeps each side of the tube properly separated.

I guess you get used to the crossbar if your tube has one....but I went from a crossbar tube to a fishcat and back again...and I can definitely say that I hate it. Cant wait to pick up a new fish cat this week.

but the seats eventually get bent and they start to go in and doesn't keep it separated as much, the bars keep them out

4Pros and cons of a crossbar Empty Re: Pros and cons of a crossbar Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:37 am

Fish cat, Cumberland, prowlers etc don't have crossbars like the old style tubes. All they have are aprons that you can use or leave it behind.

Old style tubes like caddis you must use the crossbar. Hope this helps

5Pros and cons of a crossbar Empty Re: Pros and cons of a crossbar Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:22 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The seats do tend to bend after some time. That's usually my sign to take the foam out, wash 'em off and put them in reverse order.....so they don't continue to wear out and "bend" at the same places.

Also, there are a few spots I tube that require me to put my tube in the water and pretty much fall down into the seat. With tubes requiring a crossbar the tube "collapses" on me and is a real pain in the butt to put the cross bar in while holding a rod, fins etc.

Also, many people take a boogie board, cut it into the proper shape and put it in the seat of the fish cat above the syrafoam. This adds another inch or two to your platform and helps "spread" everything apart even better.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

6Pros and cons of a crossbar Empty Re: Pros and cons of a crossbar Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 am

You can always upgrade to a super fat cat with a air seat and then you dont have to worry about the seating issues

7Pros and cons of a crossbar Empty Re: Pros and cons of a crossbar Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

MASSfisher wrote:The seats do tend to bend after some time. That's usually my sign to take the foam out, wash 'em off and put them in reverse order.....so they don't continue to wear out and "bend" at the same places.

Also, there are a few spots I tube that require me to put my tube in the water and pretty much fall down into the seat. With tubes requiring a crossbar the tube "collapses" on me and is a real pain in the butt to put the cross bar in while holding a rod, fins etc.

Also, many people take a boogie board, cut it into the proper shape and put it in the seat of the fish cat above the syrafoam. This adds another inch or two to your platform and helps "spread" everything apart even better.

That is some good info right there boys. As for the need for a crossbar or not it al depends on the type of tube you have. As you can see by what everyone is saying that point exactly. I dont see any safety need other than stability and keeping the shape for some tubes.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

8Pros and cons of a crossbar Empty Re: Pros and cons of a crossbar Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:25 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Here is an argument my colleagues and I have had before and quite frankly, I think it becomes an issue of personal preference . I have kicked in u-boats with (and without) crossbars, and they are a bit inconvenient when first entering the tube (and exiting) and take some getting used to. (As well you had to learn how to fish around them) Where I think they display their usefulness best, is in rough water. One of the things I didn't like about u-boats in the past was that they were a wet ride in high wind and rough water, particularly when kicking in a following sea. Because the front of the boat is open, the swell and chop enter the front of the boat and break on your lap. As well when the pontoons are bobbing asymmetrically in cross chop. The crossbar helped keep the pontoons separated and held the casting apron taught helping to lessen the "chest slapping" affect of the waves. As well we used to attach a piece of rubber on the front of the crossbar as a splash guard for those really rough days. The newer u-boats ride substantially higher than the ones I used to use so these issues may or may not be issues at all anymore. I liked crossbars, I thought they made the tube operate better and added comfort to the ride. I'm a tooner now so not much of an issue anymore.

bodfish

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum