FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fish Cat 4 LCS air cushion mod, or any non-air cushion seat tube

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Okay guys. Took a bit since I got way too busy to do extended tests on the FC4, but here's the air cushion mod.

Komori, our member, suggested to get the air cushion:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Got mine for $9, with shipping.

Took nearly 3 weeks to test out the best possible seat mod position to prevent structural failure, and maximize comfort, including anatomical correction of the air cushion. So, here goes:

The tools:
* A long and sharp knife, or a serrated knife.
* A marker
* A ruler

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Measuring:
* Place the fully inflated air cushion on the foam pad(s). Check the thickness of the air cushion vs the foam pad. You want half the thickness of the foam pad to be 3/4 thickness of the air cushion.

** Make sure to outline the air cushion, flushing all the edges of the air cushion to the equal edges of the foam pads. HOWEVER, cutting is a bit different.

Making the cut:
** When cutting the foam, only cut to the mid line of the foam thickness, where there's a trace of two pieces of foam being glued together. The reason is, you want the air cushion to have a little rise above the foam pad for that extra comfort.

When cutting the width and length of the foam, cut the foam so that the air cushion protrudes about 1" out to the front of the foam pads. See the final product for more details.

* Here's another angle:

The final product:
* Look at the final product of the cutting. See how the air cushion is actually protruding 1" out of the foam padding? This will provide you a proper hamstring support, allow blood flow to maximize during long sitting session.

Also notice how I position the air cushion. The horizontal bladders are going side-to-side. The air valve faces downwards, where the foam will help keep the valve from popping out. Cheap valve made in China.

Here's another angle:

** Notice the foam thickness will provide protection to the foam seat, and retaining the rigidity of the seat in the water. The air cushion will also provide you two inches above the water. The relief of long session on the water is immense.

Inserting the first foam piece in first. Then insert the inflated air cushion. Follow by the last piece of foam. It's quite easy to insert.

Pretty cool or for $50 you can a set of air bladders from creek company for the odc 420 and then you have a full air system for seat and back rest

red1952ford

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

nice job for the seat
what about the back??
Seems on the Cumberland the seat back slides off the top of the seat foam and slides down
the seat looks great but the back rest still needs attention
I was thinking a longer peace of foam for the seat that would stick out the back maybe say 4" to keep the back from sliding off the seat and down ??

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Two things to keep in mind always:

Stiffer backrest provides the most stable support.

Stiff seat base teamed up with air cushion provides the most stability during movements.

Best to keep the stiff backrest to prevent instability, which I have tested with a second air bladder system.

As for the sliding backrest for the Cumberland, best to have a velcro to hold the backrest to the inside fabric.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Some time you guy amaze me with your mod i like this a lot

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Help me understand, is the air cushion just for you thighs and hammys? What about the back part of the foam? What about the glutes???

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

fisheromen wrote:Help me understand, is the air cushion just for you thighs and hammys?  What about the back part of the foam?  What about the glutes???
YES!! Questions that deserves acknowledgement!

1. The position of the air cushion actually supports not only the thighs, the hamstrings, but also the gluts. Part of the gluts that are not supported is actually now being supported as a rocker's effect when you kick. As you kick, your body position is shifted backwards, toward the backrest, creating an angular shift of your buttocks to be cradled in the spacing between the cushion and backrest. This is a snuggling fit.

2. When the legs alternate during kicking, the air shifts from side to side to promote blood flow, as the air shifts in the valleys of the cushion bladders, pushing blood from ponding points during motionless sitting, down along the pelvic to the lower extremities and back up during blood flow exchanges. This will prevent blood clot formations.

3. The hard backrest correct your posture from slumping forward due to instability support from backrest air cushion type. For added support, you can have a small air cushion layer to your stiff backrest, but should not be more than 1/2" thickness for the air bladder.

You have to try it to understand the upgrade. Komori hits a home run when he introduces the cushion as part of the upgrade suggestion.

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

WOW, sounds like I could write off my fishing trips as physical therapy. If I could just get a doctor to write that prescription!!! Cool 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum