» Dave Scadden Rampage Pontoon Boat to sell
by SP Dan Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:24 am

» Spotties at Huntington Harbor 8.18.19
by SP Dan Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 pm

» LAH Wed After Work 8-21-2019
by SP Dan Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 pm

» Anouncement for the 2nd Annual HUB Tournament in Oct
by SP Dan Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 pm

» How many Women Float Tubers do we have here?
by jeffcpr Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:08 pm

» FS: SevenBass Design Element Float Tube Package Deal!
by jeffcpr Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks......

Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks......

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... Empty Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:20 pm

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yes I am crazy.... I am preparing to attempt to catch a Thresher Shark from my tube sometime next month... The fish usually show up in our local waters in April... I am either going to fish offshore of Hermosa beach or Malibu... Only thing is that Malibu kind of gives me the creeps due to the higher chance of Great Whites in the area.... But no guts no glory... I would like an experienced tuber to help me film this as well as help land the shark if and when we hook up .. let me know if your interested.

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Yes I am crazy.... I am preparing to attempt to catch a Thresher Shark from my tube sometime next month... The fish usually show up in our local waters in April... I am either going to fish offshore of Hermosa beach or Malibu... Only thing is that Malibu kind of gives me the creeps due to the higher chance of Great Whites in the area.... But no guts no glory... I would like an experienced tuber to help me film this as well as help land the shark if and when we hook up .. let me know if your interested.

Wow Sound Exciting but i only been out once but i would love to be there
lol
I just bought a new water proof camera and a mount video record too lol

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Woo hoo, sounds like a rush!!! Landing him is going to be the kicker for sure. Might be good to have a boat as back-up. I've seen them land sharks with boat help on TV before.

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Woo hoo, sounds like a rush!!! Landing him is going to be the kicker for sure. Might be good to have a boat as back-up. I've seen them land sharks with boat help on TV before.

i seen a on tv guy on kayak do it pulled him out 3 miles Shocked

Dano67

Dano67
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Are you going off the tip of Point Dume in Malibu?

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
still looking at all the variables... it has to be pretty well thought out to say the least.. I have to consider all possible scenarios. and also designing a rig to help with tiring and landing of the fish... To answer the malibu question... I would work the areas just beyond the ends of either pier. Both are known areas for Thresher, but the avr. size is under 100 pounds which I consider a realistic size for a tube angler..

Dano67

Dano67
Have fun!!

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Have fun!!

100 lbs i am with you dano Shocked

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Damn that is crazy please be careful sound like the camera man you are talking about having with you should be in a boat just to have some sort of safety with you.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Damn that is crazy please be careful sound like the camera man you are talking about having with you should be in a boat just to have some sort of safety with you.
ya, a boat sounds good!

http://www.smithshandpouredbaits.com

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Wooo 100lbs, that's a whopper.

12Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... Empty Re: Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 am

Dano67

Dano67
Ive pulledup small little 20lb babies and they are a handful and that was from solid gound. 100lbs will be crazy fun!!

73Camaro

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
What are u planning on using 4 bait? I hope maybe plastics (squid, swimbaits) or deep diving crankbaits as opposed to a bloody bait ha ha. Let me know, maybe I can help.

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Live Macs and maybe Rapala style hard baits. Im not about to exhaust myself trying to kick hard enough to troll lures. Live macs are perfect for this

15Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... Empty Re: Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:18 am

73Camaro

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Live macs sound like a good bet, that is of course until they get munched on, then you've got blood in the water. Maybe a squid rig with either frozen or plastic squid might be a "safer" rig, just thinking out loud here.

16Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... Empty Re: Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 pm

@bayfishingjunkie wrote:Live Macs and maybe Rapala style hard baits. Im not about to exhaust myself trying to kick hard enough to troll lures. Live macs are perfect for this

If I was out to conquer this quest, I'd probably use live macs. In my opinion hard baits will be a nightmare in a float tube. First, Thresher sharks (I'm sure bayfishingjunkie already knows this) a very high percentage of the time when you fish a hard bait such as a Rapala CD17, the Thresher's will first try to stun the bait by swiping and smacking the bait with his/her tail. You end up tail hooking the Thresher by the tail and forced to fight the battle with a tail hooked shark. I hate that. One, sure the fight is strong, but 8 out of 10 times you kill the fish. The Thresher ends up with no oxygen being dragged backwards...no water over the gills. Only while it is moving forward and then you drag it backwards. This is why I do not troll for Threshers. I'd rather toss a live mac, have the Thresher smack/swipe at the mac with it's tail a few times, turn around and eat the bait and get a solid hook set in the mouth with a Owner circle hook. Easier to battle the fish and insures a well healthy release. Also, I sure don't want a Rapala CD17 hoot to the tail of a Thresher flapping and swinging around while when you are doing this battle from a float tube! NO way! Anyways, bayfishingjunkie has a ton of experience and I'm sure he already knows this. Just a bit of info from me and what I would do if I went to target a Thresher in a tube. I'll stick to my bass fishing LOL!

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
So when is this going to take place still be careful but I am very interested to see how it goes.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

18Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... Empty Re: Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:15 am

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
i just heard of some threshers off of malibu pier.. but i prefer hermosa beach,looking like may possibly

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Guy Has balls And A bunch of buddy are there too
looks crazy but i would like to watch

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
still checking reports... plus I have a little change in plans... I will be purchasing a pontoon style sit on top tube this week I hope its better suited for this.. and waiting on some stable weather too

21Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... Empty Re: Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks...... on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:59 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
One like Vagabonds gray one? Those are awsome!!!

Or one with paddles?

I think either one will be pretty stable, but the gray hard plastic ones might be better in case it decides it want to show it's TEETH!!!! LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum