FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Pablosparky Today at 10:11 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Pablosparky Today at 9:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Today at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tube Fishing for Lobster

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Empty Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Here in California, we have a Spiny Lobster season that runs from 6:00 a.m. on the Saturday preceding the first Wednesday in October through the first Wednesday after the 15th of March. So basically all winter.

I thought it would be a kick in the head to try lobster netting from my float tube, so I gave it a go.

To take lobster, you need a fishing license and also a Lobster Report Card. There are a number of regulations regarding the minimum size for lobsters and how to measure them correctly, as well as how to fill out the report card (before you get back to the dock) and the proper marking of your gear with your Go-ID number, so you really must read and understand all the regulations for taking lobster before you head out. You can't just buy a net and go.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The gear you will need is a hoop net, bait cage, floats, rope, and a light stick. I got everything I needed as a kit from Promar.

There are lots of "how to" videos on YouTube about lobster netting that you can watch, so I will leave the basics for you to see on your own.

The only thing I will add for tubers is that regardless of the weather, you should wear your waders AND rain jacket. You're going to get way more wet than regular fishing.

Also, as you pull up rapidly on the rope to haul up the net, the rope drags water along with it and as you raise your hands above your head that water runs down your arms. I ended up getting pretty well soaked. Neoprene gloves worn over the sleeves of my rain jacket will stop that next time.

So the obvious issue is where the heck do you put this giant hoop net on a tube? You don't - you get belly board to hold the net and tow it behind you. The board also gives you a place to put the net when you pull it up full of lobsters Smile

Here's the setup I put together -

Added a 5gal bucket for my spiny catch and a safety light on a pole, and off I went!

Here's my little buddy, tagging along...

The waiting game....

I didn't catch any lobsters, so there are no "success!" pictures, but I did find out that lobster netting from a float tube isn't really that much of a problem. It's more hassle than regular fishing for sure, but it's not difficult.

Naturally, I was hoping to make a catch, but it's a learning curve and a totally new kind of "fishing" that has a lot of it's own tricks to learn.

My biggest problem is that it's boring. It's bait and wait fishing. You can cast and retrieve while you let your net soak, but in the dark I couldn't see my line and it was more frustrating than fun. So sitting on the water by myself in the cold and the dark, reading the news on my cell phone isn't exactly my idea of fun. 

I stayed out three hours, but after four sets and retrieves with no cigar, I was pretty wet and tired so I called it a night and came home. I did learn a number of things, of course, and will make some adjustments for the next time.

Shooting video at night was a total bust, but could have been better if I had remembered to put on my headlight more often. Another learning curve.

I don't expect there are any guys out there crazy enough to come along, but having a partner or crew for next time would make it a lot more fun. If you're up for it, let me know!

Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my "Float Tubing for Lobster" report.

Happy fishing!

2Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Empty Re: Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

WTG Bob.
Can you drop the trap and come back to it later? I'm thinking go fishing for three hours then come back and check the trap.

3Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Empty Re: Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

The regulation is that you have to stay in sight of your bouy. I did troll back and forth a bit and did drop shot drifts, but fishing in the dark isn't as much fun when you can't see what's going on around you. I suppose I could get used to it.

I did feel a certain vulnerability I don't normally experience, but then again, I also saw the most incredible display of bioluminescent plankton. Some sort of tiny, tiny, swimming things were feeding on the surface and the eddies made by my tube and fins would concentrate whatever it was they were feeding on and these barely visible tiny lights would come swimming in by the hundreds. It was very cool, like some sort of special effects scene, but real.

4Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Empty Re: Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I Lobster hoop at Dana Point from a kayak, just outside the harbor, the break wall that dead ends at Doheny State Beach. This time of the season its mostly shorts but you should be able to catch some. Let me know if you want company if you try Dana, not sure about float tubing but I will do the kayak thing. It is better to go with someone.

5Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Empty Re: Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks, Troutman! Dana is good for me, one of my favorite places. I'm available pretty much any time, let me know.

6Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Empty Re: Float Tube Fishing for Lobster Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Just a word of advice Bob.

After having already delt with a 2.7-lb Lobster in my net and on my corrugated plastic covered lap tray ... please be extra careful ... and FOR NO REASON ... ever allow the bug(s) anywhere near your FT air bladders!

My bug had closed it's spear tipped legs; up under it's self, with what felt like a slight hydraulic force, it actually speared it's pointed leg tips under (beneath) the tape and lifted my Gorilla Tape  Shocked  which was on my lap tray. Just be very careful!
You could easily end-up with a puncture(s); in an air bladder, the size of a crayola.

Just my 2-cents.
Have fun.

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum