FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by jeffcpr Today at 5:28 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Today at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Back to back weekends of slayage Part 2

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to back weekends of slayage Part 2 Empty Back to back weekends of slayage Part 2 Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:59 pm

Mikeotunakiller

Mikeotunakiller
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well, finally home from dinner and church.  I can finish the report for the 2nd outing for Irvine lake.

This next report is for the Sierra in the City tournament at Irvine, Saturday April 19th.  I had the pleasure to be fishing with Tony this tourney.  

Well since this I new this was going to be a big tournament, I decided I would get there early, that way I could sleep in the car and get some rest.  I got to the lake around 3:45 am and the first two lines were almost full!  This indeed is going to be a busy day on the lake.  I slept until about 5:15am.  They had opened the gates so you can get in line to pay for your entry and get anything you might need at the tackle shop.  While there, I saw Tony (after not noticing he texted) and we chatted it up and decided where we were going to try and fish.  We figured we would park at our usual spot on west shore (since the week before that area was still open).  

After going through the gates, I realized the lake is now even higher then it was a week ago, and our usual parking spot is now under water.  So we headed around to the rental boat docks and got an awesome parking spot right along the water next to the docks.  Perfect for launching.

I don't really remember the time we finally got in the water, but I believe it was probably around 6:45 or 7:00am.  We figured our plan would be to start in the boat dock cove and if that wasn't good then we would head up west shore since it would be potentially great fishing because everything is under water now.  Plus the trout are starting to spawn so they are going to be shallower then usual.  

Well we never really needed to leave.  Even though it was sooo crowded, it was amazing fishing.  I was dragging a split shot white/orange mice tail and using a pearl mini jig with a yellow trout worm trailer.  The fishing was pretty much wide open.  I got my limit in about an hr.  I mean the fish were just biting!  it was soo awesome.  

Now is the decision time, do I go fishing for bass or do I buy another pass to get a 2nd limit?  Well I figured I already payed for the tournament and definitely don't have a tagged fish (for benjamen) and I don't have a big trout yet, so I opted to go buy another pass.  I told Tony I would be back and rushed in.  While kicking to shore in a bout 4ft of water, I see a giant trout, I would say at least 15lbs.  He was huge!  Now I have that conscience battle going on, do i break all the rules and laws by trying to catch him (I mean i'm buying another pass any way right?), because I know this is probably going to be the winning trout, or do I say no, go buy the pass and remember where he is at?  Well i went with the Angel side and continued to go in. I don't think I got out of the water soo fast before in my life, I think in all it took me about 15-20mins to get back.  

After I get everything back in the water, I headed back to where I saw the giant tourney winning trout and I cant see anything because a darn boater at the rental dock was revving his engine in shallow water before I was able to get there and stirred up the water so bad it was all murky.  I couldn't see anything. I tried to fish the area but to no success.  By this time, the fishing really slowed down.  Wasn't quite "wide open"  like it was, so I told Tony I am going to start my trek up the west shore to my favorite spot.

I spent pretty much the rest of the day slow trolling a mouse tail and chartreuse mini jig, once I was about 50yds away from my spot, I got bit on the mini jig.  While I was reeling him in, my other rod got hit hard by what I believe to be a big trout because I had the drag pretty tight, to make it easier in setting the hook while moving around (I loosen the drag during the fight) and the rod was doubled over like you wouldn't believe, so i set the hook on it and put it back in the holder, while I currently was trying to net this other trout.  Once the smaller trout was netted, the other one broke off, it was my fault, i should have lighten up the drag once I had the hook set and let him just pull line.  The reel was a little larger reel with 4lb on it so it had at least 200yds of it, it could handle having line stripped for a second.  Well live and learn right?

After that was all said and done I tied on another mice tail and headed to my spot.  While there I caught another trout a little better grade one but still small.  By this time it was getting close to noon and I decided I wanted to head back.  On my way back I met a very nice couple who were fishing in a rental boat, they asked what I caught my trout on (since I caught one in front of them), so I decided to give them a little trout 101 and gave them some supplies to help them increase there odds in catching the trout there.  They were super sweet and they gave me a soda in trade, I was stoked!  Lol.

Around 1pm I made it back to the boat dock cove and ended up catching one last trout on a mini jig.  That was it, I went back in.  Chatted with Tony for a min and went to weigh in.  

Well I didn't get any tagged trout out of the 8 that I caught and I didn't find that giant one that I saw earlier.  But that's fishing.  Either way it was another amazing day at the Vine and I couldn't have been happier.

How ever I really didn't get any pics of the fish this day, I was just so stoked on the good fishing I forgot to take pictures.  I did get one picture of Tony and a pic of the damn.

Here are the only pics I got of the day.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I just want to say I am truly blessed to be able to fish and have such awesome guys to fish with.  I am thankful I get to fish with my buddy Pavo and Tony.  I look forward to fish with you all sometime in the future.  

Tight lines everyone! Smile

P.S. Sorry for these long reports, I get caught up in the moment and just start typing. Always had a hard time keeping things short and simple lol.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great report !
Sounds like a blast, caught your limit, the one that got away, good friends...Perfect!

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Fantastic job Mike. Love the detailed reports and keep them coming. I too, get caught up when writing my reports. I just sit back and replay the entire day and start typing and sometimes I miss a few details where I have to go back and edit it and that makes it longer..hahaha. Great job.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum