FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14

+4
Ifishtoolittle
Yellowrock
Jerdon
dlobo
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:19 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The kid has a report due next week so the wife took them to that silly Getty Museum for the afternoon.
As soon as they pulled out of the driveway I started packing my gear to go fishing. (Not a Museum type of guy)
Roll into to the parking lot and start taking out the poles... S**t! Forgot my backpack.
Head home, pick it up and return.
Short 3 minute walk to the spot and throw in the kids line like I always do and set it in a pole holder. Start my casting for that monster Bass that I know is out there. There was an older guy about 30 yards left and a young family about 30 yards to the right so there is plenty of room to play around. On this side of the lake the wind isn't just blowing, it's howling to the point that it blew my hat off making it very difficult to cast so after about 30 minutes I packed up and headed to the other side.
The kids and I had found a spot that is well protected from the wind. It's wide open and very comfortable to fish but there was already somebody there. So I asked politely, excuse me sir, I've been blow out on the other side would you mind if I fish off to the right here.
He say's no problem go ahead, I just got here myself.
This guy looks like he know's what he's doing and has gear to prove it so being a little embarrassed about my kids little rig I quickly threw out the kids pole and just set it against a rock while I got my stuff ready. I have a license to fish two poles so when they are not with me I always throw one in for them like they are there and then fish my own stuff.
If something comes up on the kids pole they figure they caught it wether they were there or not.

I noticed this guy is throwing what they call a "Wacky rig" and I couldn't help but to ask him to show it to me. I've been reading about it and it just made no sense to me what so ever. I hate to bug a guy when he's fishing but how else am I going to know what that thing is or how works.
I think the fact that I knew what it was called got his attention and he gave me a 1 hour fishing lesson on presentation, casting and the works. I showed him the new rod and reel setup I bought my ten year old and he says ya, I took a tour of the plant that makes those. OK, now I'm stunned. Who am I talking to here?
Screw humility, I'm just going to keep asking questions. And ask I did.
Guess I was overtaken by this opportunity because behind me I didn't notice my kids pole had slid off the rock and on to the shore.
I turned around and the pole was headed for the water and without a thought I did the unthinkable. Yep, I went after it.
At first it seemed trivial, a foot of water, shoes wet, whatever but it got serious quickly. Every time I reached for that pole it darted away another few feet. Within a few seconds I was in 6 feet of water, I looked up at this master fisherman who had this look on his face of "wtf is wrong with you" and I said to myself stop. Just stop right now.
I swear if I had been alone I would have swam after that frigging pole. What else could happen? Get my hat wet?
So I got up, climbed to shore soaking wet and humiliated. This dude thought I had slipped. After explaining what happened he stuck around with my wet ass for another 30 minutes. He gave me two of his wackys and headed out.

Moral of the story sort of is, watch the pole go buh bye:
Cell phone: $600.00, iffy, kinda works, soaking in rice.
Wallet: unknown damage
Car key that starts by an electronic key: still works
Pole and reel: $45.00
Telling your kid you lost her favorite pole that she's caught 50 fish on? Ever hear a ten year old girl scream? It aint pretty.

Last edited by dlobo on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

hahaha, I'm laughing with you!
Great story, so you have an excuse to go shopping at your favorite fishing store and can let her pick out the next pole.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:44 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

yeh right baby! Shopping!

4Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Dlobo...... With all due respect. I would've dove in for the rod. Not the thought of loosing the rod. It's the thought of what's taking that rod.
Not knowing what took it will mentally screw with me for a very very long time.
Great story though. Haha

5Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:12 am

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

lol Man what a day! I don't know how I would've reacted if one of my rods went flying into the water. This is why I usually only fish with one set-up. It's just less of a hassle.

6Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:42 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Taking the kids to the scene of the crime. Time of departure 1:50 pm Sunday April 27, 2014 Captains log. lol

The phone survived after some hard core dismantling and cleaning. Thank you youtube!!!

7Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:51 pm

Mikeotunakiller

Mikeotunakiller
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ty for the great read. I would have done the same probably lol

8Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:18 pm

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

What an awesome adventure! I almost pissed myself laughing so hard at the story, great writing skills by the way. Guess the little lady gets a new fishing rod!  Red Smile 

9Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:50 pm

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LMFAO great story man

10Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:24 pm

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I would've jumped in and grab it without hesitation! If i didn't make it, I'd rerig the other rod with a egg singer and treble hook to try to snag the rod/line before it's lost forever. I've managed to recover a few drowned setups like this.

11Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Empty Re: Peck Road Park Lake 4/26/14 Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The guy I was talking to grabbed another rod and in an instant after figuring out hat happened and starting throwing a nice sized spinner in the general direction with no luck
I've had it happen once before and was quick enough to grab the rod. Not this time tough.

The electronic car key works good.
The phone lives after a lot of youtubing videos about how to take one apart and clean it (7 hours to getting it fucking going again).
Didn't mention that after I calmed down and got my wits back I wanted a smoke. Reach into my pocket, ahhh S**t!
Layed em out to dry and 10 minutes the fucking lighter wouldn't work!
During that time there are all these little white things blowing off the trees into my drink so I put my jacket over my cup
Kept fighting the lighter until I got one lit, took a deep breath and reached for cup.
Dumped it all over my jacket.
I mean what the hell,I got my sweater hanging on a tree, phone is in the sun, wallets all sprawled out in the sand, smokes damn blowing back in the water again.
I have been.....
Defeated.
That's when I left.

Kid is happy that at least I went after her pole.
Yesterday was a bust, got one dink.

Not surprised at all that Yellowrock would have gone swimming. Remember this is same dude that went white water river rafting in his float tube last month. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum