FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Today at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Today at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Yesterday at 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Abu Garcia Silver Max

+7
MenyoG
dosomedirt
chipmcd
fisheromen
jeffcpr
Jerdon
rusty hook
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Abu Garcia Silver Max Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:20 am

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I was looking to purchase a new reel and not having a lot of money I was looking all around. Over at Cabelas and Bass Pro they had the Abu Garcia Silver Max for $59.99. Ok, I can do that but then I googled Abu Garcia Silver Max and Walmart has it on sale internet only for $45.00. I have no idea if it is a good reel or not for the fishing that I do but what the heck, the price was right. By the way, what lb line should I use for the bay going after SBB? I have been using 6 lb florocarbin, should I be using somthing else?
Thanks guys.

2Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:30 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

rusty hook,
I have the Black Max and think it is a fine reel for bass in the fresh water. I haven't used it in salt but I'm sure it would be perfect for spots and Caicos in the bays. I don't use lighter than 10 pound test on my baitcasters  because backlashes tend to find their way into the gaps. I'd like to hear what others have to say though.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:29 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have a Silver Max I am happy with it and I got mine from WalMart with the rod for just over $60 this last fathers day.  It is a great reel for both fresh and salt use 6 to 8 lb line on mine, but I have to say that I have had line find its way in to the gaps like Jerdon said.  Great fix to this "Don't Backlash" I am still working on this  Red Smile All in all I say you will like it.

Last edited by jeffcpr on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:53 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Silver max is a nice reel and the flippin' switch is nice for when you are dropping straight down in deep water. Try 8 or 10lb Yozuri Hybrid.

5Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:31 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I haven't fished with one but, I use a Lews Laser MG. Its has seen a couple of years use in the surf without a problem. I do try to keep its exposure to sand and the saltwater to a minimum (like making sure no water or sand on hand while reeling.) I've only had to service it once after I dropped it and it took a header in the sand (not real bad though.)  Good as new.

I would think that the Silver Max would hold up to the bay without a problem with a little maintenance.  I try to open the reel up every few months and just to see if it needs another application of lube and oil (ReelX or CorrosionX for bearings and levelwind and Yamaha Marine lube for less critical moving parts and things that I don't want to corrode.) The main gear had a spot of corrosion (after a year of using) and with 0000 steel wool and a light coating of Yamaha lube, she was fine.

I think I have 12lb izor mono on there now and that's because I'm throwing Luckycrafts to 'buts in the surf and I'm just I'm too lazy to switch it over for the bays to 8lb. On the next line change before the winter surf session, I'm gonna put 8lb on the Lews (for the bays) and switch back to a little Calcutta for the surf.

6Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:28 pm

dosomedirt

dosomedirt
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Haven't tried the Silver Max but I do have a Black Max that I use in the salt overall it's a decent reel for the price. I picked mine up on Ebay for $30 I use 30 lb braid on it with no problems.

7Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:16 pm

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Hey Rusty,

Abu has a clearance site, FFO something.

Currently they have the Silver Max2, Black Max2 and Pro Max2 for $36, $37 and $44, respectively. If you spend $50 they have a site coupon that will get you $15 off. That'll pay for tax and shipping.

Their Fenwick 7' HMX rod is pretty sweet too.

I have bought a couple of reconditioned reels and two rods and didn't have any issues with them. Only evidence the reels are recons is the plain box.

Not sure I can post site address, too lazy to look at forum rules and don't want to piss Jeff off.

Google Abu Garcia clearance site. I just did and it was the first result that popped up.

Manuel

8Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:30 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

You just pissed me off bro................ because you did not post the link go for it that is stuff we all need to know.  Thumbs Up 

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

9Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:11 am

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER
Fishermen of the Year 2014

my wife has 2 Silver Max and I have the Black Max, 2 of them have 12lb izor mono and the black max has 30lb braid and they work good on fresh water but like dosomedirt said look them up on ebay you will save your self some cash.

10Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:25 am

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I have just been looking at all the great deals on Fishermans Factory Outlet, two cups of coffee, thats how much time I spent on this site just looking. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thanks for the information. What size line does everyone use for the bay? I have been using 6 lb but I see people using much higher line. When I go deep for sand bass and butts I use 12 lb, not sure what to use sometimes.

11Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:11 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i have the black max and use it for the harbors and its holding up its a good reel for the price

12Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:10 pm

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

rusty hook wrote:I have just been looking at all the great deals on Fishermans Factory Outlet, two cups of coffee, thats how much time I spent on this site just looking. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thanks for the information. What size line does everyone use for the bay? I have been using 6 lb but I see people using much higher line. When I go deep for sand bass and butts I use 12 lb, not sure what to use sometimes.

FFO is legit.

I have settled on 10 lb. Izor XXX copolymer mono for the bay and surf fishing. Breaking strength is way above 10 lb., likely because it is thicker than true 10 lb. line but, it works for me. In the surf I just throw on a 4-6 lb leader and I'm good to go.

Manuel

13Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:24 pm

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks Manuel, thats good information. My new reel should be here this weekend so I will spool up on what you have recomended.

14Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Hope you like your new Reel Very Happy  I personally use a Lew's MG and Speed Spool . these things cast a mile and there braking system is top notch for any level of user we maybe  Thumbs Up  I use 10lb Izorline XXX on mine in smoke gray .. love the stuff

15Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:53 pm

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks Misfitdog, I also have the Lew's Laser baitcast reel and love it! However, I have been using it in fresh water and not the bay. I was told by the factory that if I did use it in salt water to clean it every time I use it. Thanks for the advise on the Izorline. I have not used it but will try it out as soon as I get my new reel.

16Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:18 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I use to use nothing but six to ten pound for spotties. After I started fishing tournaments, all that changed. Now the lightest I fish is fifteen pound mostly. Every once in a while I'll use ten. Think that spotties are line shy and won't bite that heavy stuff? So did I until I tried it. Just sayin.

17Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:23 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

if u want a good line use sunline i will not buy any other line

18Abu Garcia Silver Max Empty Re: Abu Garcia Silver Max Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:29 am

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I've used 6#-15# xxx izorline. My go to recently has been 8# xxx izorline on one reel and 30# braid on my other two reels. On the reels with the braid I have been putting short 15# floro leaders on them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum