FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question--Tubing At Night

+5
Pavo21
fatboy531
.:LOLLY:.
Tony G Fishing
Desperado64
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Question--Tubing At Night Empty Question--Tubing At Night Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Desperado64

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I've read some posts about Tubing at night. My question is what do use to let boats in the area know you're there? I've had great night fishing sessions on boats, but we had navigation lights on the boat.

I would think there must be some regulation if for no other reason than you're a potential navigation hazard.

2Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

i carry green, red and orange light sticks, i just hang them off my tube or have them sticking out of side pockets, the orange one has a whistle at the end as well...then my head light and the light on the Fishfinder.....

but yeah i dont know the regulations either affraid

3Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:16 pm

No regulations but it more of a commen sense thing.

4Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I used to use glow sticks and forehead lamp. Now I only use the forehead lamp. Just go out with one or more buddies to watch each others backs and keep your head on a swivel. In harbors your main concern will be those electric duffy boats. People like to party and drink on those at night. Most of the time they are not paying attention to the water and they are super quiet.

5Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

.:LOLLY:. wrote:I used to use glow sticks and forehead lamp. Now I only use the forehead lamp. Just go out with one or more buddies to watch each others backs and keep your head on a swivel. In harbors your main concern will be those electric duffy boats. People like to party and drink on those at night. Most of the time they are not paying attention to the water and they are super quiet.

for sure Lolly, last wednesday, i had some SOB's doing that, not till they were really close would they see me then slow down and act all like oh hey cool rig LOL its like F OFF hahah....almost run me over then were cool lol but yeah head always on a swivel, sometimes it seems no one is around you and you look up and boats all over lol

6Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:19 pm

I just put a cuple of glow sticks behind my tube and my head lamp.

7Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Headlamps work well. Boat traffic seems to die down when it gets really dark out. You can also carry a flag like kayakers do.

8Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:25 am

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

headlamp and my bright orange pontoon

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

9Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:36 am

Desperado64

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Fatboy & Pavo--I haven't gone out at night, but if and when I do, aside from a headlamp, I was thinking a portable boat led stern light.

I was researching online and they aren't very expensive, they're battery operated, and they're relatively tall. The reviews aren't great about the quality, but for the speeds a float tube moves at, I don't think it would be really big issue (famous last words, right?).

10Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:04 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Desperado64 wrote:Fatboy & Pavo--I haven't gone out at night, but if and when I do, aside from a headlamp, I was thinking a portable boat led stern light.

I was researching online and they aren't very expensive, they're battery operated, and they're relatively tall.  The reviews aren't great about the quality, but for the speeds a float tube moves at, I don't think it would be really big issue (famous last words, right?).

Desperado, I think I would want a white light that spun around... like a lighthouse so boaters would swing way around it! Very Happy

Portable running light is a cool idea.  Also, bike safety strobe lights may be another option; they're inexpensive too.  Although a drunk boater may steer to check out the pretty flashing lights. drunken

As for regulations, it's kind of confusing.  I've briefly read a letter from the USCGboating.org site where the USCG wrote in response to the Utah Dept of Park and Rec regarding the issue of registration numbers for motorized vessels (particularly kick boats and float tubes.) Within the letter, dated 1999, the USCG Capt. writing the response threw down the Federal blanket and cited 1 U.S.C. 3 stating the Federal state deems "vessels" to every description of watercraft... as a means of transportation on the water. And then added, like any other water craft must follow the rules of the road, which included lighting.  

In our State's Dept Boating and Waterways site, there is a handout on safety tips for hunters and anglers. Under the heading "equipping your boat" there is a section on lighting.  It states "If operating at night or in reduced visibility, motorboats must display running lights. Manually propelled boats, at a minimum, must display a white light in time to avoid collision."

Hope this helps.

11Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:40 pm

Desperado64

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

chipmcd wrote:
Desperado64 wrote:Fatboy & Pavo--I haven't gone out at night, but if and when I do, aside from a headlamp, I was thinking a portable boat led stern light.

I was researching online and they aren't very expensive, they're battery operated, and they're relatively tall.  The reviews aren't great about the quality, but for the speeds a float tube moves at, I don't think it would be really big issue (famous last words, right?).

Desperado, I think I would want a white light that spun around... like a lighthouse so boaters would swing way around it! Very Happy

Portable running light is a cool idea.  Also, bike safety strobe lights may be another option; they're inexpensive too.  Although a drunk boater may steer to check out the pretty flashing lights. drunken

As for regulations, it's kind of confusing.  I've briefly read a letter from the USCGboating.org site where the USCG wrote in response to the Utah Dept of Park and Rec regarding the issue of registration numbers for motorized vessels (particularly kick boats and float tubes.) Within the letter, dated 1999, the USCG Capt. writing the response threw down the Federal blanket and cited 1 U.S.C. 3 stating the Federal state deems "vessels" to every description of watercraft... as a means of transportation on the water. And then added, like any other water craft must follow the rules of the road, which included lighting.  

In our State's Dept Boating and Waterways site, there is a handout on safety tips for hunters and anglers. Under the heading "equipping your boat" there is a section on lighting.  It states "If operating at night or in reduced visibility, motorboats must display running lights. Manually propelled boats, at a minimum, must display a white light in time to avoid collision."

Hope this helps.

chipmcd--Thank you for that research; it's excellent information to have.

12Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Ok guys understand you wanna go by the law but your thinking way too much into this ninja stuff.
Navigation lights are required by any motorized vessel and or over X over feet. Float tubes does not follow under these guide lines.

Yes safety is important and do what makes you feel safe. Tubing during day or night!
Now I tube 90% at night, from open clear sky with the moon lighting my way to very dense fog to where you can't see more than 10ft in front of you.

Now, for all you newbies who wanna try and do some ninja fishing from a tube here is my recommendations
1. Do a buddy system, maybe with someone who has done it befor if not stay close to shore into you get your feet wet.
2. You need a good Quality headlamp, Home Depot has one for about $20. It's made by energizer. It has a red light setting and couple different white light settings. What ever headlamp you get make sure it has a red light setting as this is the setting you wanna use the whole night. It helps let other boats know something is there and plus it helps you see, white light actually blinds you. Only use white light for changing baits, retiring etc
3. Have your PFD with you or wear it.
Now for my self, I don't wear one or have it with me. That's just me and my personal preference.
4. Carry your cell phone with you for pictures and or in case of a 911
5. Last one, let someone know where your going and your launch spot. You never know.

So now you have all the Basic info to get out there and enjoy your time.
Now different states may be different so just make sure you check your local laws etc

13Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:12 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Float tubing at night is scary! Don't do it... Lol

14Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:48 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

n2deepfsw wrote:Float tubing at night is scary! Don't do it... Lol
lmao lol!

15Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:48 pm

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

lol

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

16Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:37 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I went out night fishing for the first time last Saturday.  There were no boats, so no worries.  But man, was it dark! Who'd a thunk it, right? Crescent moon, and when it was gone, just starlight.  When there was still a bit of light a huge owl approached like he was going to land on me.  He veered off about 15' short of me.  He must have been thinking, "what is that fool doing out here in the dark?"  I was soon thinking the same and went home.

Last edited by fisheromen on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix)

17Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Desperado64

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I want to take my tube out at night, but there is a certain safety factor that concerns me if you can't be seen. Scotty makes a battery operated light (sea light)that fits into their bases, so I just ordered one to try it out. It's really intended for kayaks, but it looks easily mountable on a tube. I believe it can also be used with their gopro mount to kill two birds with one stone.

18Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

For those of you that have cumberlands, the cumberland has a flag slot/mount on the back side of the backrest. I've used a dirtbike flag in there before and you can add led lights or glow sticks to the end of the flag for extra visibility.

19Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:00 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a red bike light which I got at the .99 cents store it has a clip so you can attach it your back rest. I believe it runs on 2 AA batteries.

20Question--Tubing At Night Empty Re: Question--Tubing At Night Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Just get out there fish people lol
Lights this lights that really?!? There more than enough posts on this subject. Research and get out there and fish

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum