FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 8:27 am

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Today at 6:22 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

PFD's - wassup?

+6
waxon67
Tony G Fishing
rusty hook
Jerdon
MenyoG
dayhut
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PFD's - wassup? Empty PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:24 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Many internet savants go on at length about the virtues of PFD's. They make it sound like going afloat without one is equal to cutting your own head off.

But I couldn't help noticing that my new float tube has a seat base and back made from three massive chunks of indestructible EPV foam.
In fact, it has about the same volume of buoyant foam in the seat, as that which sink-proofs my 14' Mad River canoe.

And, if I were to get into a boat tomorrow, the USCG would be satisfied with a seat cushion as a PFD - which is made of... you guessed it... foam.

So why does the PFD crowd insist on having one?
Put another way, even if both bladders let go at once...I'm essentially riding around on a giant PFD?

What key things am I missing?

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

2PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:51 pm

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

1. Because, if you are in any kind of moving water, well...things move.  You may become separated from your tube.  We flipped a canoe on the river and the PFD cushion went one way and we went the other. A harbor with current is the same as a river or worse in Huntington Harbor.

2. Both federal and CA law require it.  Here is the federal law:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know you are not in CA but, you are in the USA and CFR applies in all states.  State laws can be more restrictive than federal but, not more lax.  Wait, how bout medical marijuana?  Well....

Manuel

3PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

For me the real fear is getting hit by a boat or jet ski and incapacitated.

I surf, I water ski, I have always been around water for entertainment, I have pulled 3 people out of the water who were drowning, and I consider myself an excellent swimmer.

4PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:31 pm

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Not long ago some boys were run over by a speed boat and drowned as a result of the accident caused by the speed boat. They were not wearing PFD when they were run over. I just got a very nice PFD at BassPro for about $25, its light, comfortable and has pockets for my keys, cell phone etc. I once got caught in a fast moving river after slipping on some rocks and wished I had a PFD then. For a few bucks its cheep insurance!

5PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:36 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Indeed, always wearing one....and when i dont i feel like something bad is about to happen so i dont ever take it off LOL..until im out out...

6PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:55 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

As far as the CFR is concerned:

Subpart B—Personal Flotation Devices
§ 175.11 Applicability.
This subpart applies to all rec- reational vessels that are propelled or controlled by machinery, sails, oars, paddles, poles, or another vessel.
[CGD 92–045, 58 FR 41608, Aug. 4, 1993]

Fins are not mentioned, I note. Will and agent if the government make this distinction? Probably not...
And yeah Manny - how about that whole marijuana thing? Wassup widdat??

Rusty - what's the name, model etc of you 25$ PFD?

7PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:15 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

dayhut wrote:Many internet savants go on at length about the virtues of PFD's. They make it sound like going afloat without one is equal to cutting your own head off.

But I couldn't help noticing that my new float tube has a seat base and back made from three massive chunks of indestructible EPV foam.
In fact, it has about the same volume of buoyant foam in the seat, as that which sink-proofs my 14' Mad River canoe.

And, if I were to get into a boat tomorrow, the USCG would be satisfied with a seat cushion as a PFD - which is made of... you guessed it... foam.

Put another way, even if both bladders let go at once...I'm essentially riding around on a giant PFD?

What your missing is the point. Things can happen on the water beyond control or foresight. These things, examples mentioned above will suffice, can prevent you from utilizing your tube or cushions alone as a way of keeping your head above water.

8PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:20 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

waxon67 wrote:
dayhut wrote:Many internet savants go on at length about the virtues of PFD's. They make it sound like going afloat without one is equal to cutting your own head off.

What your missing is the point.  Things can happen on the water beyond control or foresight.   These things, examples mentioned above will suffice, can prevent you from utilizing your tube or cushions alone as a way of keeping your head above water.

Well, I've been known to miss the point on occasion.
It happens; it's why we ask.

Things go wrong when you least expect them.
Got it.

Thanks. Wink

9PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:40 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

dayhut wrote:
waxon67 wrote:

What your missing is the point.  Things can happen on the water beyond control or foresight.   These things, examples mentioned above will suffice, can prevent you from utilizing your tube or cushions alone as a way of keeping your head above water.

Got it.

Thanks. Wink

10-4

I didn't mean to sound pointed. I just had a couple things happen to me on the water that opened my eyes. So I feel passionately about safety.

Tight lines!!! Thumbs Up

10PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I agree with the masses you never know what might happen, I have not had anything bad happen while I was on the water making me feel as if I need my PFD. But I know that if I was to have a bad enough accident on the water that God forbid ended up taking my life. And wearing a PFD would have saved my life, I know my wife would never talk to me again. I vote PFD for safety and peace of mind.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

11PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:00 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

waxon67 wrote:
dayhut wrote:
waxon67 wrote:

Got it.

Thanks. Wink

10-4

I didn't mean to sound pointed.  I just had a couple things happen to me on the water that opened my eyes.  So I feel passionately about safety.

Tight lines!!! Thumbs Up
No worries. It does sound like a stupid question, I know that....

"Why bother with safety?"
That doesn't really resonate well, especially these days.

12PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:02 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jeffcpr wrote:I agree with the masses you never know what might happen, I have not had anything bad happen while I was on the water making me feel as if I need my PFD.  But I know that if I was to have a bad enough accident on the water that God forbid ended up taking my life.  And wearing a PFD would have saved my life, I know my wife would never talk to me again.  I vote PFD for safety and peace of mind.
Thanks Jeff

I was in the Navy, I've jumped from ships in mid ocean and drown proofed using my own pants. I've had a small boat sink from under me once. That was unnerving but nothing cram of it but a good laugh.

And I'd be grabbing for my rods and trying to swim in waders and clinging to a deflated tube in the worst case.
Yeah, a PFD doesn't sound too bad.

13PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:47 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Dayhut,  first off, let me say that I am guilty of leaving my vest on the rear deck of my pontoon on occasion; not proud of it either.  Everyone will have their own opinion on the subject. I feel most only think about having one in case of an equipment failure (bladders going down.) But, what about a medical emergency (collision, heart attack, stroke or just pass out?) Maybe your question can be answered, for everyone individually, by asking the opposing question "what are the virtues of not having a PFD?"  Me and my buddies had a boat. Like you mentioned, you could use a seat cushion/float as the basic legal requirement for an individual's PFD but, to rely on a 15" square, 2" thick seat cushion with 1" nylon webbing straps, I thought, was pretty laughable.  I guess they could work, if I could get to it. One thing to remember is that if you become incapacitated, a proper life vest would keep your head above water and could roll you over if you are face down.

Of course, you will get the opposition that says they are uncomfortable, I don't need one; I can swim, they're expensive, they're not cool or my float tube is my PFD. I say, and no one has to listen, is your life worth the $25-$250 for one and a little inconvenience of wearing it?  If not, then you're golden.

To this day, I still ask my buddies about getting them, let alone putting one on (I may have to just buy them one and strap them in myself. I think I can kick their asses  Twisted Evil )  They're all in good shape, can swim and have no problems affording the best ones on the market. They are adults, with families, and make their own decisions but, I will bug them 'til I'm blue in the face because the conversation "I told you so." could be a short, one sided one in the situation where you needed a life vest.  Over dramatic?  Maybe so but, I like my buddies and want to fish with them for a long time.

14PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:19 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

chipmcd wrote:

Dayhut,  first off, let me say that I am guilty of leaving my vest on the rear deck of my pontoon on occasion; not proud of it either.  Everyone will have their own opinion on the subject. I feel most only think about having one in case of an equipment failure (bladders going down.) But, what about a medical emergency (collision, heart attack, stroke or just pass out?) Maybe your question can be answered, for everyone individually, by asking the opposing question "what are the virtues of not having a PFD?"  Me and my buddies had a boat. Like you mentioned, you could use a seat cushion/float as the basic legal requirement for an individual's PFD but, to rely on a 15" square, 2" thick seat cushion with 1" nylon webbing straps, I thought, was pretty laughable.  I guess they could work, if I could get to it. One thing to remember is that if you become incapacitated, a proper life vest would keep your head above water and could roll you over if you are face down.

Of course, you will get the opposition that says they are uncomfortable, I don't need one; I can swim, they're expensive, they're not cool or my float tube is my PFD. I say, and no one has to listen, is your life worth the $25-$250 for one and a little inconvenience of wearing it?  If not, then you're golden.

To this day, I still ask my buddies about getting them, let alone putting one on (I may have to just buy them one and strap them in myself. I think I can kick their asses  Twisted Evil )  They're all in good shape, can swim and have no problems affording the best ones on the market. They are adults, with families, and make their own decisions but, I will bug them 'til I'm blue in the face because the conversation "I told you so." could be a short, one sided one in the situation where you needed a life vest.  Over dramatic?  Maybe so but, I like my buddies and want to fish with them for a long time.
Melodramatic? Well, yes.
But it's cool; I asked, after all.

Im digging your position in the subject.

15PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:22 am

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Maybe a thread jack, if so, my apologies...

With this good in depth discussion of PFDs, I decided I need to get a more fisherman friendly one. I currently have one of those Body Gloves ones that are used for basic water sports. It's a vest style with three clips and provides more than adequate floatation. But, I too am guilty of conveniently leaving it in my car/home/etc during my voyages due to the lack of comfort it provides over long periods of time. Now, I am well aware of Mustang PFDs and Sterns, but I've been seeing more and more of the Onyx brand ones as well as more generic ones being sold online.

Are there any opinions on the onyx? Any differences in styles (mainly the waist style ones vs the vest style)? I'm sure we would all like to know which ones are the most tube friendly/cost effective. The entire self inflating ones are a great idea, especially the ones that will inflate only when completely saturated (or under more than 4" of water). How about the manual ones? The fact that we are already in a sitting position would make pulling the inflation cord a little awkward no?
I'm tempted to purchase a waste style inflating PFD just so I can wear it higher on my chest for an easier pull. I'm sure accidents happen and the self inflating ones provide that extra insurance if things go to hell in a hand basket and we lose consciousness. But for those of us that have thrill issues, I would appreciate opinions/insight/concerns/problems on using the manual PFDs on our tubes.

16PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:48 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

kin wrote:Maybe a thread jack, if so, my apologies...

With this good in depth discussion of PFDs, I decided I need to get a more fisherman friendly one. I currently have one of those Body Gloves ones that are used for basic water sports. It's a vest style with three clips and provides more than adequate floatation. But, I too am guilty of conveniently leaving it in my car/home/etc during my voyages due to the lack of comfort it provides over long periods of time. Now, I am well aware of Mustang PFDs and Sterns, but I've been seeing more and more of the Onyx brand ones as well as more generic ones being sold online.

Are there any opinions on the onyx? Any differences in styles (mainly the waist style ones vs the vest style)? I'm sure we would all like to know which ones are the most tube friendly/cost effective. The entire self inflating ones are a great idea, especially the ones that will inflate only when completely saturated (or under more than 4" of water). How about the manual ones? The fact that we are already in a sitting position would make pulling the inflation cord a little awkward no?
I'm tempted to purchase a waste style inflating PFD just so I can wear it higher on my chest for an easier pull. I'm sure accidents happen and the self inflating ones provide that extra insurance if things go to hell in a hand basket and we lose consciousness. But for those of us that have thrill issues, I would appreciate opinions/insight/concerns/problems on using the manual PFDs on our tubes.

Thread jack? Hardly. I'm listening, too!
Thanks for asking.

17PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

dayhut wrote:I was in the Navy

Well then I expect nothing less than a picture of you in your tube with a big orange kapok on Shipmate! salute

18PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:41 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Gatorfan wrote:
dayhut wrote:I was in the Navy

Well then I expect nothing less than a picture of you in your tube with a big orange kapok on Shipmate! salute
Their price IS RIGHT, you know....

19PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:14 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well if I could hang over the side of a ship in 1988, at night, in the middle of the Indian Ocean, and do important tasks like paint the port anchor in a kapok, I'm sure you can fish in a tube! lol

20PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:17 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Gatorfan wrote:Well if I could hang over the side of a ship in 1988, at night, in the middle of the Indian Ocean, and do important tasks like paint the port anchor in a kapok, I'm sure you can fish in a tube!  lol

See, exactly. You've made up my mind.
And they're HIGHLY visible!

21PFD's - wassup? Empty Re: PFD's - wassup? Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

BTW, in my search for a picture of the kapok that you and I are familar with (before I found the one of me), I found this informative write-up about PFDs: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum