FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Empty FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Mon May 23, 2016 1:20 pm

ghodaddyyo

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hello everyone,

This past weekend was my maiden voyage on my Outcast Fish Cat 4 Deluxe. I took it out on Hume Lake up in the Sequoia National Park and wanted to do a quick review of my FishHunter Pro castable sonar unit.

The FishHunter Pro is the middle level sonar unit from FishHunter that is a bobber like sonar unit that streams its readings into your smart phone. It pairs with your smartphone via WiFi as opposed to the entry level unit that pairs via bluetooth.  It competes with other units such as the iBobber, Deeper, and SonarPhone. I decided to go this route with my float tube due to it's smaller size and easier hook up capability compared to traditional sonar units.

I only have basic first hand knowledge of the traditional units so I cannot make too many comparisons, but I can offer my initial experience with the FishHunter.  My first test of the unit was at my local park attaching the unit to a heavy bait caster rod setup.  The unit weighs in at 5.5 oz. so it is heavy.  This has an impact on what rod you can use to cast and also the amount of splash created by casting. I used 40lb. braided line and limited my casting to short distances to be cautious.  Pairing the unit was simple enough.  You connect with your smartphone via wifi just like you would at home and the brochures claim a range of 150 ft.  I never casted much more than half that distance.  I did get some occasional connection issues but repairing takes up little time. The unit must be in a minimum of 4 ft. of water to work and reads to a depth of 150 ft.

At the local park, I didn't find much in the way of fish with the sonar unit.  For all I know, I may have scared them away with the heavy splash.  The sonar brought back info on the depth which let me know the depth in my local park with my casting range was not more than 14 ft. deep. The unit also reads out water temperature and produces sonar images of the bottom contour.  I keep my iPhone in a waterproof see through pouch that hangs around my neck and keeps it from getting wet.  My major issues with this test was casting weight related.

This past weekend I used it on my maiden voyage of my float tube. This time I tethered it to my float tube with the included 15 ft. tether and drifted it out as I kicked around the lake.  No issues with weight or splash with this hook up and only one disconnect from wifi, when I retrieved the bobber out of the water to toss into a different spot.  The sonar unit worked out so much better in this set up and found all sorts of fish as I drifted around.  There is a small alarm that sounds when fish come into view and I found many fish hovering around the 10 ft. mark in what I found to be a 24 ft. deep lake with a relatively flat grassy bottom.  So the unit definitely finds fish, but catching them is a all on you.  I had a hard time setting up a rig that I could present at the 10 ft. level but did eventually hook up to a nice rainbow trout.  I did get the sonar tether line tangled into my fishing line as I reeled in the trout, but I think that was just me getting all excited about finally catching a fish!  

The battery life of the unit itself exceeded the battery life of my iPhone.  After about 3 1/2 hours, I had 59% battery left in the unit when my iPhone warned me that I was down to 10%.

All in all, I definitely prefer it tethered to my float tube opposed to casting it from shore.  When casting, I fear breaking the plastic housing or eyelet where you tie on if I hit a rock.  No such fears when trolling it. The complete unit fits in it's own pouch about the size of a softball so it stows away very easy.  I will continue to test this unit and hopefully find more useful ways to integrate it into my fishing.

The entry level unit goes for around $120 which is blue tooth connected and has shorter limits to range and depth. The advanced unit produces 3D imaging of the bottom which looks excellent, but that unit goes for $250 and would put you into the price range of the nicer traditional sonar units. My mid level unit went for $180.  I am still considering trading up to the 3D unit as it has five transducers and resulting bigger sonar cone and really produces great bottom contour images that I think would come in very handy to find structure.  

Please let me know if you have any questions.  My next test will be in the bays when I get up the courage to get in the salt.

Last edited by ghodaddyyo on Mon May 23, 2016 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

2FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Empty Re: FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Mon May 23, 2016 1:46 pm

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow. That is a great write up...iPhone only or android compatable too?

3FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Empty Re: FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Mon May 23, 2016 2:05 pm

ghodaddyyo

FTFF Gathering Officer

Yes, you can use Android.

4FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Empty Re: FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Mon May 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

great read, thanks for the report....and sucks about getting all tangled up....tight lines

Tony G Fishing

5FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Empty Re: FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Mon May 23, 2016 3:30 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is a great write up thanks for sharing, I really like that you tethered it to your tube, I think that is what I would do as well. seem to make sense, I would like to try and find one of these companies to jump on with us as a sponsor. I really think this makes sense for our sport, again thanks for the write up keep it coming I would like to know more.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Empty Re: FishHunter Pro iPhone Sonar Mon May 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great report and thanks for sharing.
Good luck with your future tests and keep us posted.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum