FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Barrett Lake 08/17/16

+4
bigfish
Komori Jeff
Jerdon
david886720
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:14 am

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hi y'all.  I normally tube the salt.  This was my maiden voyage into freshwater territory.  I decided to try Barrett in San Diego after visiting once before in a rental boat last year.  The fishing can be amazing for Northern strain black bass and it is quite user friendly for tubes from what I'd heard and seen.  My first trip was slow for fishing as my Dad and I were trying to get back into freshwater fishing after decades away from it.  This time I returned better prepared and with more game plans and strategies.  It went alright for me by Barrett standards.  I was very satisfied with 26 bass, over 20 bluegill, and a nice angry crappie but these numbers are average compared to some of the regular Barrett anglers.  The morning bite was more consistent and as the heat increased the bite slowed into the afternoon but there was still fish to pick up every now and then.  90% of my bass were caught on a wacky rigged senko and the remainder on t rigged creature baits or finesse worms.  The bluegill were caught on an ultralight rig I brought to throw during slow bassin'.  The bluegill bite is amazing and if just concentrating on that alone one could get easily over 50 or more a day.  They are all nice and plump and give a great fight on the ultralight gear.  I was on the water from about 6 am to 3 pm.  By that time I was tired from lack of sleep from the night before and the heat.  The bass grade was decent with plenty of 1-3 pound clones and a nice 4.5 pounder I got as my big fish for the day.  Plenty of awesome wildlife out there as well with a bald eagle flying all over the lake and foxes even cooling off in the water mid afternoon.  Here's the pic's

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
early morning specimen

another one

3 pictures of my big one LOL

typical 'gill

look how fat the head on this one was!

I wanted a picture of the crappie too but he was so feisty he shook away from my grip.  He fought hard enough I thought he was a bass and was surprised when it surfaced.  Really like the way they look.  Will try and get another one if and when I return.

The lake bathed in afternoon glory

Thanks for sticking with the long read!

2Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:32 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Wow, what a great outing. I have heard plenty of great stories about that lake.
Thanks for sharing and good job with the Senko.

3Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:59 am

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey nice report David and great photos.  Didn't you hate it when the hot summer sun starts creeping over the hill tops and the cool shade starts to disappear?  I have been to Barrett many times although I have not been there for a few years.  We would make the long dark, early morning drive traveling to the lake from Riverside just to fish for the big Bluegill with ultralight outfits!  They are so big and just so much fun with 2 & 4 lb test and small jigs and lures.  I ended up catching my largest Bluegill there, a 12 inch fish on a small Creme plastic worm-

4Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:09 pm

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Jerdon wrote:Wow, what a great outing. I have heard plenty of great stories about that lake.
Thanks for sharing and good job with the Senko.

Thanks Jerdon. I had a good time in the fresh stuff. The wind can be rought but I like how there's no currents to deal with

Komori wrote:Hey nice report David and great photos.  Didn't you hate it when the hot summer sun starts creeping over the hill tops and the cool shade starts to disappear?  I have been to Barrett many times although I have not been there for a few years.  We would make the long dark, early morning drive traveling to the lake from Riverside just to fish for the big Bluegill with ultralight outfits!  They are so big and just so much fun with 2 & 4 lb test and small jigs and lures.  I ended up catching my largest Bluegill there, a 12 inch fish on a small Creme plastic worm-

Congrats on that huge Bluegill Komori! I agree with you and will probably pack my ultralight again if and when I go back. Those 'gills were so much fun. With the right gear they were fighting just as hard as the bass were pound for pound, ounce for ounce LOL.

5Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:30 am

bigfish

bigfish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Great report David! I'd love to fish there. I visited the place once but never got around to fishing it.

From your pics it looks nice and serene with the only disturbances being your hooked fish breaking the water surface. Nice.

That's a nice hog you caught!

Now I just want to go fishing. Thanks for a great report!

6Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:13 am

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

David that was an awesome report and the pictures are perfect.glad you and your dad had a good time

7Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:41 pm

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bigfish wrote:Great report David! I'd love to fish there. I visited the place once but never got around to fishing it.

From your pics it looks nice and serene with the only disturbances being your hooked fish breaking the water surface. Nice.

That's a nice hog you caught!

Thanks bigfish! It is nice and serene out there. More so because it was a weekday

Now I just want to go fishing. Thanks for a great report!

Thanks bigfish! It is nice and serene out there. More so because it was a weekday

Litefoot wrote:David that was an awesome report and the pictures are perfect.glad you and your dad had a good time

Thanks Litefoot! It was fun!

8Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Lake barrett crappie. Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:41 am

BassAttack234

BassAttack234
FTFF Gathering Officer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

9Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:25 am

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

BassAttack234 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Yes, that's exactly what happened. Crazy crappies lol!

10Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Jayb1rd79

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I need some advice fishing barret lake. I've never been there before but I understand it's not like most lakes I'm used to fishing. I wanna get over there before the season is over. I believe it's open through september. I heard its barbless only. Typically what baits are getting bit? I have a lot of things I use that don't have barbless options. Maybe I can message if that's cool?

11Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:22 am

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Jay PM me and I'll help you however I can

12Barrett Lake  08/17/16 Empty Re: Barrett Lake 08/17/16 Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:59 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Howdy David,

You said that you were heading over to Barrett Lake .... good call!!
Healthy looking fish and great numbers by my standards ... WTG!!

I have not; as of yet, float tube fished fresh water .... but it looks like fun.

Did your float tube need to be inspected for fresh water mussels prior to launching at the lake ... like Big Bear?
There you have to pay either a daily or a monthly fee to launch your tube.

Thanx for the fish report and for sharing your pops with us!

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum