FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Empty How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:13 pm

I just recently picked one up off a curb.

Here's my problem with them; the TV commercials show them bending them to the handle. Now...WHOOPDIE DO! ( You could ALWAYS do that with fiberglass rods.

Now, when graphite came along the sensitivity increased by leaps and bounds.

Unfortunately, not everyone understood the technology at hand. A buddy of my brother grabbed his extremely high quality graphite rod by the tip...mand snapped the HOLY BEJESUS out of it!!!!

Then a black buddy of mine grabbed a rod off the shelf at Wal-Mart and snapped it. Soooo... HE GRABS ANOTHER AND DOES IT AGAIN!!! ( How he went home, and NOT to jail, and didn't PAY FOR ANYTHING. Is beyond me!!!)

2How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Empty Re: How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I like my ugly sticks! 
I have a few and yes I lose a little "sensitivity" but they survived 3 kids learning to fish for the most part. If or when I drop one of the tube it is easily replaceable, and the one piece guides never lose an insert.
For "us" cheapskate fisherman these Ugly Sticks and the Berkley Cherrywood are a best buy.

3How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Empty Re: How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:22 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thumbs Up Good to know

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

4How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Empty Re: How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I have an Ugly that I won in a raffle at a tackle store "parking lot sale" and I've used it a few times. It's fine and it definitely can handle abuse.

The action is a little loosey-goosey for my tastes, but it makes a great lender rod when I take non-fishermen out for a day on the shore.

5How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Empty Re: How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Ornery Bob wrote:I have an Ugly that I won in a raffle at a tackle store "parking lot sale" and I've used it a few times. It's fine and it definitely can handle abuse.

The action is a little loosey-goosey for my tastes, but it makes a great lender rod when I take non-fishermen out for a day on the shore.

Yo Bob,
I have an ancient Ugly Stik that is 7 foot long, rated for 6-15 pound string. It is perfect for 4 pound string and pan fish. The tip really bends when fighting them and it can cast tiny jigs and split shot to where I need em dropped. I have caught a 3 to 4 pound bass with it as well.

6How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Empty Re: How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll enjoy it once I replace the missing tip.

I kinda march to a different drummer though, as I tend to use very stiff heavy rods with ( and in ) finesse situations. I just ESPECIALLY in that scenario...prefer it that way.

It may go against the grain a bit...but here's my thinking...( and it works for me)...I wanna FEEL what the fish is doing. Does that make sense?

If the rod is too spongy, something bad may be going on before I even know it, whereas a stiff rod will let me know quickly.

That has helped me land some large fish on very light line, but it's probably not for everyone.

7How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Empty Re: How "UGLY" is an 'Ugly Stick"? Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Jerdon wrote:
Ornery Bob wrote:I have an Ugly that I won in a raffle at a tackle store "parking lot sale" and I've used it a few times. It's fine and it definitely can handle abuse.

Yo Bob,
I have an ancient Ugly Stik that is 7 foot long, rated for 6-15 pound string. It is perfect for 4 pound string and pan fish. The tip really bends when fighting them and it can cast tiny jigs and split shot to where I need em dropped. I have caught a 3 to 4 pound bass with it as well.

Whoa!!! A free Ugly Stick and a couple of spools of 4# Trilene on clearance at Wal-Mart for $1?

Providence???

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum