FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Empty Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

One of the cool things about my little YouTube channel is that sometimes my viewers tell me what they want to see and so I get some great ideas about what to do.

In this case, I've recently had two requests that I consider in the realm of float tube safety, so it seemed like the right time to start a series with that theme. I have a couple ideas for a few future videos that should be fun. I'm pretty sure at some point you're going to see me take a dive and test out my PFD. green happy

One viewer asked why he needs a PFD and which PFD I recommend and the other said he had concerns about how to deal with tides and winds, so that's where these two videos came from.

Both of these videos are very simple and basic, but a lot of people are starting from scratch, so I think even basic information is worthwhile.

Stay Safe and Happy Fishing!

2Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Empty Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks Bob. As a newb I really appreciate the info, especially the tide and wind info.

Question for Huntington Harbor: if I fished the outgoing, is the current flowing towards the simple green building/bridge? If I launched from Davenport, which direction is the current flowing on the outgoing?

3Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Empty Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks, Wonka. I'm glad I'm helping!

If you look at Huntington Harbor on Google Earth, you will see that it drains and fills from both the western end at the bridge and the eastern end via Bolsa Chica. That means the direction of the tide depends on where you are.

Launching out of Seabridge and going into the main channel is pretty straightforward. Outgoing takes you to the bridge, incoming the other way.

Speaking of that particular channel, I've experienced the situation a couple of times there that when the tidal coefficient was high, there was almost no slack tide. One minute you're going to the bridge, like it or not, then low tide hits and you get maybe two minutes rest, and then you're going back to the launch.

For Humbolt and Davenport, the incoming pushes you deeper into the harbor (north) and the outgoing takes you south. Sometimes it seems like the tidal flow in the various channels gets confused, so I'm always watching my drift when I stop to do cast and retrieve or I'm simply resting. If you hit a channel junction where the tide seems confused, fish the heck out of it. I've found eddies that were fish hotels!

4Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Empty Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

OK, thanks. That makes sense. The Bolsa Chica side seems like such a tight bottle neck, so I wasnt sure how that affected tidal flow on that end. I appreciate the tips!

My schedule is always tight, so I have to take what I can get. So far I dont see any outgoing / incoming sessions in the near future for me. This info really helps me plan accordingly.

Ron

5Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Empty Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Don't forget that when we launched at Davenport, we were able to push against the tide pretty easily at first and then let it take us back. If the tidal coefficient isn't large, you don't always need the perfect deal. Just do your fighting at the start of the session and not the end.

Have fun!

6Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Empty Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:13 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Excellent videos Bob.

Very good tips and suggestions on PDF safety and for planning sessions on the water FT fishing with the predicted conditions. Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

7Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Empty Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks, Dan!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum