FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing

+4
Litefoot
Jerdon
SP Dan
Ornery Bob
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

The forecast was for rain later in the day, so I tried to sneak in a session before it started. I got rained on a little, but it wasn't bad and I dried out quickly. I only caught three fish, but I was happy to be on the water, even if the water was on me as well.

It may sound crazy, but the peaceful quiet of being in a gentle rain was worth getting a little wet. I've always liked rainy days. Growing up here in So Cal, we usually only had a small number of them in a year, so they always seemed kind of special to me. Plus, it was a rainy day the first time I kissed a girl, so there's that... Very Happy

My little YouTube video channel just topped 50K views, which is peanuts compared to the real players, but to me it seems amazing that my little fishing adventures have found that much of an audience. Many thanks to all my viewers and subscribers!

2Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hey OB,

Thanx for another fine fishing video from inside our local-harbor waters.

Keep up the good work and tight lines

SP Dan     <"))><

PS ... I really enjoy fishing on rainy days as well! Thumbs Up

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

3Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

A nice quiet rainy day fishing.
Thanks for sharing.

4Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks, guys- much appreciated!

I don't know what got in to me. I had my rain jacket with me and at the last minute I decided I didn't need it, so I left it in the car. I got lucky.

I've had some very good days out of Mother's beach, so I'll take the slow days when they happen. It's like poker, eh, you can't expect to win every hand.

5Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Congratulations on your 50K views I've watched every one.bounce bounce I hope to be out there real soon cant wait miss you Guys

6Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:51 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Good job Bob I have to say fishing in the rain can be great when you are catching, but when you are not it can be miserable. I have experienced both sides I prefer to catch fish in the rain rather than a chill. Good work keep it up.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:19 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks, Jeff, and Lightfoot!

A little light rain is fine, but if you get rained on hard, it can stop being fun real quick, even if you're dressed right.

8Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:27 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

OH this I know sir. We had a gathering a while back at the L.A.B and there was a little rain in the forecast. Once in the water, the rain started just a little at first and by the time some of made it to 2nd Street Bridge it was a hard rain. We ditched it under the bridge an figured we would wait it out, well 30 minutes later we realized it was just going to continue to rain and the fish were near us at all. I decided screw it I am out so I kick back to the launch spot through the rain (heavy rain) once at the launch spot and getting out of the water, you guessed it the rain let up. Evil or Very Mad

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

9Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks for the video and report!

10Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jeff its always that way if I only waited 10 more min. I Finley figured out that's how Life works the only solution is don't Rush it only took me 64 years to come up with that. I know i'm a little Slow but DAM Arrow Arrow

11Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:46 am

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

thanks for another great video Bob!

12Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:31 pm

Fishbones805

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Sorry, new here, where were you fishing?

13Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:07 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Fishbones805 wrote:Sorry, new here, where were you fishing?

You expect me to give up my secret spots? Just kidding - this is out of Mother's Beach at Los Alamitos Bay.

Not that anyone has asked, but here's my two cents on "spots."

All of the bays and harbors we fish are remarkably similar. They're all man made and all designed to offer safe and easy boating. That basically means no surprises, no underwater obstructions and very little in the way of non-obvious structure. They're pretty much all 10 to 15 feet deep with flat bottoms.

So where the fish are hanging out on any particular moment is mostly about things you can't know, like salinity and dissolved oxygen, and where the bait fish are and a million other things that change day to day and hour to hour.

It's definitely not about spots. I've been to obvious places like "points" and killed, but the next time out, that spot is empty.

Sometimes the only way to catch a fish is to get deep into structure. The next day, they're all out in the open channels.

You just never know, so you do your best and try everywhere.

14Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Fishbones805

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Sorry if it sounded like I wanted your "spot". I was just curious what general location as I'm new to the forum and looking for buddies.

15Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Empty Re: Rainy Day Float Tube Fishing Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I'm not offended when people ask where I am in a video. It's a natural question and I hope I didn't make you feel bad for asking. I was teasing, because I guess you could say that I have a bit of a reputation for "giving away" good spots.

One of the cool differences between shore fishing and float tube fishing is that we have access to everywhere. When you're fishing from shore, what makes a "spot" is access to the water. When you're in your tube, you have access to all the water and Google Earth shows you every possible place you can go. No secrets for the satellite.

When you're offshore fishing, what makes a "spot" is bottom structure. In these harbors, for the most part, there is very little bottom structure, so that means is pretty much all the structure is obvious. If a spot looks fishy to you, it's going to look fishy to every other guy who comes by, so again, the idea of a spot known only to a few doesn't hold much weight.

So ask away! Whatever helps you get going is cool!

Google Earth is your friend. Look on Google Earth for "Tantalum Restaurant". The bridge I was hiding under is the walkway down the channel east of the restaurant. It's a good place to go on an incoming tide, but the kick back to Mother's Beach can be less than fun if you're kicking against the wind.

But that spot around Tantalum, where you see an intersection of channels, almost always yields me a fish. Not because it's special in any way. It's just that channel intersections are always high percentage areas and I always take the time to fish them intensively.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum