FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by Ogurr38 Today at 5:12 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Yesterday at 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

looking to get into tubing

+2
LGHT
Nick Danger
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1looking to get into tubing Empty looking to get into tubing Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Nick Danger

Nick Danger
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hey, I'm Kyle. I'm looking at expanding my horizons by getting into tubing, so I'm saving my pennies. I have a few questions, so any help is appreciated.

First, I'm a big guy at 6' and 300 lbs, so weight capacity on tubes... go big or go home? I don't have lots of cash to spend so I've been looking for used tubes or fish cat ($189 at sport chalet but rated at 250 lbs).

Also waders, I have scuba fins so I need to get chest wader with booties? Right now I have about 200 saved up so I might be halfway there as far as funds go.

Thanks

2looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:05 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm in somewhat of the same situation. Fairly new to freshwater fishing and after testing out a tube I really liked it. I tested the Super Fat Cat LCS and prowler. Both where about the same ride in the water, but the Prowler had all the bells and whistle and is rated for 325 lbs instead of just 300 as it seemed to ride a little higher in the back. I

Since your 300lb that may be pushing it if you add in gear, ice chest etc for either the prowler or Super Fat cat LCS so you may also want to look at the Dave Scadden Outlaw Escape that includes oars and is rated for 600 lbs. I considered that, but I thought it was just overkill for the type of small lake fishing I wanted to do. Plus I would rather kick than row. I did read a few post where people said it's tough to kick long distances, but what I plan on doing is just getting a little sea doo diving scooter and just put it in the back if I ever plan on going to a large lake or know I'll need to cover lots of water.

3looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Nick Danger

Nick Danger
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Googled the prowler and had a heard attack at the price. Fat cat and super fat cats seem more reasonable, but it will be longer before I could buy one. I suppose thats the price for being overweight. By the time I can afford it i should be under 300 lbs at least Razz
LGHT wrote:Welcome to the forum. I'm in somewhat of the same situation. Fairly new to freshwater fishing and after testing out a tube I really liked it. I tested the Super Fat Cat LCS and prowler. Both where about the same ride in the water, but the Prowler had all the bells and whistle and is rated for 325 lbs instead of just 300 as it seemed to ride a little higher in the back. I

Since your 300lb that may be pushing it if you add in gear, ice chest etc for either the prowler or Super Fat cat LCS so you may also want to look at the Dave Scadden Outlaw Escape that includes oars and is rated for 600 lbs. I considered that, but I thought it was just overkill for the type of small lake fishing I wanted to do. Plus I would rather kick than row. I did read a few post where people said it's tough to kick long distances, but what I plan on doing is just getting a little sea doo diving scooter and just put it in the back if I ever plan on going to a large lake or know I'll need to cover lots of water.

4looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:41 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

yeah they are costly for sure. Still waiting to pull the trigger after selling several things laying around in the garage.

5looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:06 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well guys the cumberland is 350 lbs capacity and so is the bighorn one is a pontoon type float tube and the other is a u boat love them both . now if you guys are local guy i can let you try them out i have 2 set up up but my waders might not fit you but you can try the tubes out for sure. i am going out tomorrow at 6 am at lido in new port
Ed

6looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:26 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I tried the cumberland when I tried the outcast as 1 guy with the cumberland was looking to upgrade and although it was ok I like the outcast much more. Probably why it also cost a lot more. I'm only about 200 lb, but I just want to get the best now so I won't have to bother upgrading a year later.

7looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:01 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LGHT wrote:I tried the cumberland when I tried the outcast as 1 guy with the cumberland was looking to upgrade and although it was ok I like the outcast much more. Probably why it also cost a lot more. I'm only about 200 lb, but I just want to get the best now so I won't have to bother upgrading a year later.

Well the big horn is a good tube Thumbs Up

8looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:35 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I am looking at the Escape myself. I am planning on a new tube next year and I think it will be the Scadden or the Super Fat Cat. If BPS has a sale on the Bighorn again (80.00) I will definitely get one. Never should have passed that up this last time!! Rolling Eyes

9looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:01 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Welcome Nick Danger, looks like you are in the right place there is alot of info floating by in this site.
These guys will help however they can to get you out on the water. I am sure I speak for all of us when I say we look forward to seeing you out on the water in your new float tube.

Good luck Nick Danger. Thumbs Up

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

10looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nick Danger wrote:Hey, I'm Kyle. I'm looking at expanding my horizons by getting into tubing, so I'm saving my pennies. I have a few questions, so any help is appreciated.

First, I'm a big guy at 6' and 300 lbs, so weight capacity on tubes... go big or go home? I don't have lots of cash to spend so I've been looking for used tubes or fish cat ($189 at sport chalet but rated at 250 lbs).

Also waders, I have scuba fins so I need to get chest wader with booties? Right now I have about 200 saved up so I might be halfway there as far as funds go.

Thanks

Nick,
Welcome to the wonderful world of tubing!
I am a big guy too, 6'2" 325 and I have no problems fishing in a tube.

I have been tubing for over 10 years and have found for bigger guys the Caddis Navigator II is the way to go. You can get this tube through BPS for about $180. It will hold you far better than the big horn or other tubes....believe me I have alot of the other tube and still go back to my Navigator. Save yourself time and $$$ and buy the Navigator.

11looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

sonarbp wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:Hey, I'm Kyle. I'm looking at expanding my horizons by getting into tubing, so I'm saving my pennies. I have a few questions, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Nick,
Welcome to the wonderful world of tubing!
I am a big guy too, 6'2" 325 and I have no problems fishing in a tube.

I have been tubing for over 10 years and have found for bigger guys the Caddis Navigator II is the way to go. You can get this tube through BPS for about $180. It will hold you far better than the big horn or other tubes....believe me I have alot of the other tube and still go back to my Navigator. Save yourself time and $$$ and buy the Navigator.

Yes sonar is right fished with him, and me and jeff launch first and the next thing you know sonar was right there with us come to think about it when we were head back to the launch and sonar sent those guys in the boat do donuts around the jerks in the other boat he caught up to us really quick . great call sonar Thumbs Up

12looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:21 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'm 5'11" and 300#. I have a Navigator. I also have an ODC 420. I prefer the 420. Kick for kick I think the 420 is more hydrodynamic. However, penny for penny the Navigator is the better choice for my weight class. I have used Ed's Bighorn float tube and the weight support is fine. The hydrodynamics are not as good as the Navigator.

Its always a matter of experience and personal choice. The personal choice is what will get you though. Until you put time on a tube (of choice) you don't know if you will like it. Once you buy a tube...its too late.

Same thing with fins. We can always point out quality products and give you our experience. Until you just get in there and do it for awhile you might never really know what is best for you.

If you can pair up with someone who owns a tube you would like to try I would suggest you do it. I don't know where you are located but if you are in So Cal I'm sure Ed and I could bring the fleet and let you try some on. Maybe on your journey you will find others that will let you have a go on their tubes.

Best of luck brudda!

13looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:I'm 5'11" and 300#. I have a Navigator. I also have an ODC 420. I prefer the 420. Kick for kick I think the 420 is more hydrodynamic. However, penny for penny the Navigator is the better choice for my weight class. I have used Ed's Bighorn float tube and the weight support is fine. The hydrodynamics are not as good as the Navigator.

Its always a matter of experience and personal choice. The personal choice is what will get you though. Until you put time on a tube (of choice) you don't know if you will like it. Once you buy a tube...its too late.

Same thing with fins. We can always point out quality products and give you our experience. Until you just get in there and do it for awhile you might never really know what is best for you.

If you can pair up with someone who owns a tube you would like to try I would suggest you do it. I don't know where you are located but if you are in So Cal I'm sure Ed and I could bring the fleet and let you try some on. Maybe on your journey you will find others that will let you have a go on their tubes.

Best of luck brudda!
thats fine with me i got 2 tube and just need a date but not this weekend trying to ddo san diego bay or if thats where you are then that might be good Thumbs Up

14looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:58 pm

Nick Danger

Nick Danger
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks for all the advice, I have about $350 saved up now but am trying to hold off buying one until I get a job, otherwise I will have no incentive to get working again.

That caddis nav II is looking like the current option.

15looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:47 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Nick...here are a couple links for the Navigator. Some of the best prices you will find!

Hope this helps.

or

This one offers free shipping!

or

This is the best deal I have found....this is where I am going to get mine from!!!! Thumbs Up

16looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:10 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

nice . good looking out sonar i might even get me one

17looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Nick Danger

Nick Danger
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

making it hard to resist buying it right away Razz
sonarbp wrote:Hey Nick...here are a couple links for the Navigator. Some of the best prices you will find!

Hope this helps.

or

This one offers free shipping!

or

This is the best deal I have found....this is where I am going to get mine from!!!! Thumbs Up

18looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:02 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nick you might want to jump on this soon...I found them about $40 bucks cheaper a few months ago and now the price went up!!! Evil or Very Mad

I wanted to get a new tube and waited too long...going to order mine in the next week. Not sure how long these prices will last!

19looking to get into tubing Empty Re: looking to get into tubing Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 am

Nick Danger

Nick Danger
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I broke down and bought one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum