FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Thu May 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by jeffcpr Thu May 09, 2024 10:56 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:32 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Launched at 70th Pl. at BSP LB, Saturday 9-15-2018

I did a solo session today as the tide rolled in.
Today I fished LAB entirely different ... than the way I had originally planned to.

I've had a small leak in the left bladder for a short while now so I changed out the Boston valve last night (hoping that this would fix my leak) and I re-inflated my left bladder before going to bed.
I woke up this morning to find my left bladder half-way deflated (a leak  Evil or Very Mad ) again and so when I launched this morning, I stayed rather close to my launch site as a result of the leaking bladder rather that to ride the IC tide to Mother's Beach as planned.
After launching I kept my inflation hose connected to my Boston valve so that each time that my left bladder went soft, I would just fill it back-up by lung power! (at least 5-6 times)

I like to start off each session by taking a moment to clear my thoughts and to consciously remind myself of how truly BLESSED I am to be here each and every day!

Gray light: 0600 hrs
Miles Kicked On FT: 1.11 miles
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Calories Burnt: Approx 518 if we had been walking so I'm going to guess approx 700+ calories burnt today.
Swell: SSE
Air Temp: 64 deg to 73 deg, cloudy AM skys
Water Temp: 66-70 deg
Session Duration: 0500 hrs until 1000 hrs (5 hrs).
Sun Rise: 0639 hrs, Sun Set: 1851 hrs.
Wind: 0600 hrs 2-mph SSW, 1200 hrs 6-mph SSW.
CE: 53 in the morning, just average
Bait Presence: massive amounts of 1-3" shiner bait in the water everywhere.
Sea Dog Presence: 1 to report
Sea Bird Presence: minimal, just a few diving birds
Dolphin Presence: none to report.
Surf: 1-2 ft, Swell: 3 ft, Sec's Between Sets: 18
Large Leaf Kelp Beds: none to report
Tidal Conditions: 0500 hrs  2.2 ft, 0600 hrs 3.0 ft, 0700 hrs 3.7 ft, 0818 hrs HT 4.0 ft, 0900 hrs 3.9 ft, 1000 3.5 ft ... etc.
Isolunar: Major period from 0809 hrs until 1109 hrs.  <"))>< <"))><
Note:  The bite actually occurred between 0715 hrs and 0800 hrs (16 fish were landed inside this 45 minute window) and the last fish (#17) was landed at 0930 hrs on my way back to my launch site. (very slow pickings!).
Bait used: 3/8 oz Sardine Green Silver, 1/4 oz Sardine Green Silver colored HUB's with Bio-Edge scent along with Hot Sauce and a drop/shot rig.

Equipment used:

Float Tube used: Cumberland FT w/ a DIY rod rack and hard-top lap tray

Fins used: Force Fins

Fish Finder used: Deeper Pro+

My (3) rods selected: were my  B"n"M SharpShooter's, rated 4#-8#, 6', 1-pc.

My (3) reels selected: were (2) two of my Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 reels and (1) one Diawa Balistic 2500 reel, all spooled with Diawa Samurai #30 braid (8 carrier) line w/ a 5 ft long 12 lb Seaguar InvizX Fluorocarbon leader while using the RP knot to connect (tie) the fluorocarbon and braid together and the Improved Cinch knot for tying-on the bait.

SP Dan's Fish Count: 17 fish total, 2 different species and 3 legal Bass while fishing on "SS Stitch":

(14) Spotty's, the best was a 15 1/2", 15 3/4" & 14 3/4" legals

(3) short Sandy's, best was a 8"

Note: I only post one of each species unless there are multi legals, PB's or NS (new species).
PS ... I am a sportsman dedicated to being a 100% CPR (catch, photograph and release) angler.
PSS ... I only show photo's of the fish and not of myself because it's really all about the fish?!   Cool

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to view my posting! Cool    

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

2 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Another productive day on the water.
A fellow tuber here showed me the trick of keeping the tube floating by adding air on the fly. A few puffs and your good to go, suprisingly effective really. So I learned to always keep and air hose on board.

Thanks for sharing

3 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Sorry to hear about your leak, that really sucks. Hope you still had fun though, sure looks like it

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

4 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:12 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Is that a shorter modified route you took since you had a leak? Something that maybe you would recommend for someone who is just going for his first time?

5 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:48 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Jerdon wrote:Another productive day on the water.
A fellow tuber here showed me the trick of keeping the tube floating by adding air on the fly. A few puffs and your good to go, suprisingly effective really. So I learned to always keep and air hose on board.

Thanks for sharing

Hi ya Jerdon,

Did you use the Run Keeper app when you went fishing the other day at Perris?

Yes it definitely works.
I never leave the shore line without mine.
I've used mine countless times and have also given it out to a few of my fishing buddies as well when they were going flat and they were able to finish the session.

SP Dan <"))><

6 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:55 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Alakai wrote:Sorry to hear about your leak, that really sucks. Hope you still had fun though, sure looks like it

Thanx but it's all good! Thumbs Up

I always fish hard, I always have a blast and I always leave the water feeling fulfilled at the end of each session.

But on the other hand it also leaves me a bit hungry for my next session as well.
It's probably just my old case of the OCFD kicking in!  Very Happy  Ha ha ha!!!

Thanx for chiming in,

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total

7 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:11 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Alakai wrote:Is that a shorter modified route you took since you had a leak? Something that maybe you would recommend for someone who is just going for his first time?

Yes ... that was my feel safe about launching and knowing that I have a leak in my bladder modified route.

I prefer to be no further than 1/2 mile from my launch site in lieu of being 1 1/2 miles from it encase thing was to go badly for me.

If you haven't had your Maiden Voyage as of yet then I would highly recommend that you hook up with an experienced float tuber. Everybody sets up their gear a bit differently, uses slightly different gear and baits but when it come to safety .... we are all on the same page.
Always bring along: "wear" your PFD, have a safety whistle, bring your inflation hose with you on your FT, Sun glasses and a hat.

On what body of water do you plan on having your Maiden Voyage? Perhaps one of our experienced FTer's will volunteer to hook up with you in order to join you during your 1st session.

SP Dan     <"))><

8 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hi again Dan,

Going to try LAB.
You and Ornery Bob both seem to have some great tips for there. Thing is with the help is that I would feel horrible holding anyone back from a day of novice level fishing. I am going to really study for the next couple of weeks and head out. Nearly all of my gear is here and I just have to fit my holders to my new tube. Targeting Oct 6 or 13th for a few hours

9 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:04 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

If you'd be interested in hooking up with me at LAB, just give me a holler! Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

10 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:01 pm

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

NIce day on the water. I have been fishing that area at night lately and it has been pretty good. Sorry to hear about your leak, i have bneen on the water when thta happens, its not fun when your day has to be cut short. Glad you had a productive day.
Question here, do you perfer the shorter rods on the tube? I find using my six foot light action smallmouth bass rod with a tdsol2500 reel a pleasure on the tube. Its easier to land fish when your not fighting the length of the rod. Great report as always.

11 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:20 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

TobyB wrote:NIce day on the water. I have been fishing that area at night lately and it has been pretty good. Sorry to hear about your leak, i have bneen on the water when thta happens, its not fun when your day has to be cut short. Glad you had a productive day.
Question here, do you perfer the shorter rods on the tube? I find using my six foot light action smallmouth bass rod with a tdsol2500 reel a pleasure on the tube. Its easier to land fish when your not fighting the length of the rod. Great report as always.

Thanx TobyB,

Yes, I prefer my 6 ft rods in LAB over my St Croix 6'-8" rods, but when it comes to fishing in LA Harbor I use my St Croix 6'-8" 6-14 lb rods because at zero tide the water in spots can range from 50' to 71' deep depending on where I am fishing. Plus the fish can be much larger there as well.

Great question Sir! Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

12 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:58 pm

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the info. I like to use 6'6" baitcasting rods. 7 foot is the max i like to use. Anything longer is a pain for me personally.

13 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:22 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

One of the main reasons that I prefer a 6 ft long rod is that it's easier to reach the rod tip and undo the line wraps and it's also easier for me to re-thread the line thru the eyes.

SP Dan <"))><

14 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:24 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

SP Dan wrote:
Jerdon wrote:Another productive day on the water.

Thanks for sharing

Hi ya Jerdon,

Did you use the Run Keeper app when you went fishing the other day at Perris?

Yes it definitely works.
I never leave the shore line without mine.
I've used mine countless times and have also given it out to a few of my fishing buddies as well when they were going flat and they were able to finish the session.

SP Dan     <"))><

I did use the Run Keeper app at Perris this week. I never bring my phone on the water and I needed to figure out which Waterproof Box I would use. Anyways, I got it sorted this week and it works great. Thanks for the heads up.

15 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SP Dan wrote:If you'd be interested in hooking up with me at LAB, just give me a holler! Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

Thank you Dan! Can I just be sure about the tides with you? Maybe you might know about tides4fishing.com and was curious if LAB is Long Beach (Inner Harbor). Also I was reviewing the winds at windfinder.com is called Long Beach Peninsula. Seems like Sunday is a great day to try with low winds but since I can't make it until about 7am might miss the transition tides and the best fishing time. Figure I can still ride the tide in a bit.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Thank you

16 A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Empty Re: A Solo Session At LAB 9-20-18 Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:12 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Alakai wrote:
SP Dan wrote:If you'd be interested in hooking up with me at LAB, just give me a holler! Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

Thank you Dan! Can I just be sure about the tides with you? Maybe you might know about tides4fishing.com and was curious if LAB is Long Beach (Inner Harbor). Also I was reviewing the winds at windfinder.com is called Long Beach Peninsula. Seems like Sunday is a great day to try with low winds but since I can't make it until about 7am might miss the transition tides and the best fishing time. Figure I can still ride the tide in a bit.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Thank you

Hi Ya Alakai,
You are absolutely 100% correct on both assumptions! Thumbs Up

Due to the front rolling in on Monday, I'll be launching both Sat and Sun at 70th PL on BSP (Belmont Shore Peninsula) LB at the end of Ocean Blvd. Launching at 0600 hrs.

I'm going to post up another open invite to everyone again.
Good luck to you out there!  Cool

SP Dan     <"))><

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum