FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by cjwebber Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:20 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baitcaster or Spinning Reel what are you using.

+5
SP Dan
Jerdon
Mo2vation
kin
jeffcpr
9 posters

What reel to you use

Baitcaster or Spinning Reel what are you using. Vote_lcap20%Baitcaster or Spinning Reel what are you using. Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Baitcaster or Spinning Reel what are you using. Vote_lcap20%Baitcaster or Spinning Reel what are you using. Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Baitcaster or Spinning Reel what are you using. Vote_lcap2100%Baitcaster or Spinning Reel what are you using. Vote_rcap 100% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 8

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I see a question asked about why someone would use a Spinning Reel verse a Baitcaster. First I think it is simply preference, but there are some big differences that happen here.

Spinning reels offer more distance in casting and lest mess for lack of a better term.

Baitcasters provide more accuracy in your cast and sometimes more trouble.

This is just the simple way to explain it but we all see things a little different. What do you use and why we would like to know.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

For light lures, I use spinning...things under 3/8oz typically. Or, I know I'm in a situation where I am confined by either lack of light/confined quarters/wind.

Baitcast is king for both distance and precision. If I can, I'll use bait casters all the time. I have better control and "feel" of the lure vs a spinning reel. But, ever try casting a baitcaster into the wind? Its great for fast presentations, but for slower, spinning reel gets a nod.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thanks for sharing Kin that is all great info I think most of us are using both reels but from time to time one works better than the other. I have cast into the wind and it is hard with ether reel but sucks with a baitcaster.

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I use both when fishing in the bays from a tube.

Baitcasters are far superior for the 'dropper' or 'dead' rig, as with a simple push of a button, I can always keep it on the bottom as I kick around. They're faster to release from a rod holder, and they are simply faster to cast and retrieve. Baitcasters are faster to increase / decrease drag during a fight. I fish Baitcasters for 1/4 oz and above.

For sharp shooting between pylons, between boats and in narrow spaces with light (1/4 oz) jigs, I use spinning.

I love both. But as kin said - I'd fish Baitcasters 100% of the time if I could. I'm just not as accurate with them with the lighter gear.

- Ken

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Spinning for finese work. Light stuff 3/8 or less.
Baitcaster for heavier or reaction baits.

SP Dan

SP Dan

I honestly don't believe that the bait-caster reel could ever function for me in the SW as well as my spinning reels have.
And ... I really don't wish to waste large-portions of my fishing sessions undoing the constant birds-nests that oftentimes haunt the bait-casting reels!

Besides ... I have a completely different style of getting my bait back into the fish zones than anyone else that I have ever fished with and it wouldn't be possible for me to do the same style of fishing with a bait-caster reel.

As far as spinning reels vs bait-casting reels using the D/S goes ... I really believe that they are equal. So .. personal preference.

People have a way of convincing themselves and others but the "proof-is-in-the-pudding" ... I honestly haven't fished with anyone out there that has (averaged) landed the same numbers of fish or has landed larger fish than myself with a bait-casting reel compared to my spinning reels.

I believe that a spinning reels are much more versatile and that they are the better choice of reels when it comes to my (dental) finesse fishing style.

To me ... a bait-casting reel is better suited to open water casting or in the FW with their wide range of offered gear-ratios .

Just my 2-cents.

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Pretty sure I am the culprit that asked the question to SP Dan in one of his last posts. I was asking because the HUB owner uses spinning reels and in his tutorials he speaks about them.

In most other videos related to bass bay fishing I see baitcasters being used. I also notice that many rods that specialize in fast action and made for bass are casting rods with the small eyes. I understand that these small eyes could also "hang up" the line-to-line knot so was asking the question because there seems to be many different opinions.

I am sure I will be using both in my future outings.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

For me.........trout is spinning only, because I do a lot of creek and river fishing. I have used bait casters for trolling, tubing a lake for trout.

But I mainly use bait casters fishing LMBs, salmon, steel head and salt. I do take a back up spinning too.

I can toss a 1/4 oz HUB with ease using my bait casters

But I like the feel of holding the rod on top of my hand. Spinners hang from your hand. Not the same feel for me. Having the balance of the rod and reel, cradled in your hand is sensitivity and power at an instant. I truly love bait casters.

The key is knowing how to set the right drag for casting different weighted baits.........my 2 cents.........GT

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I use both spinning and baitcasting. I use baitcasters when i fish in the daytime and fish my spinning gear at night. I like spinning at night so i don't have to untangle backlashes. My vision isn't the best so trying to spot the bait before it hits the water is tough at night.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Alakai wrote:Pretty sure I am the culprit that asked the question to SP Dan in one of his last posts. I was asking because the HUB owner uses spinning reels and in his tutorials he speaks about them.

In most other videos related to bass bay fishing I see baitcasters being used. I also notice that many rods that specialize in fast action and made for bass are casting rods with the small eyes. I understand that these small eyes could also "hang up" the line-to-line knot so was asking the question because there seems to be many different opinions.

I am sure I will be using both in my future outings.

I went to a seminar for Hookup Baits and I heard it explained the same way spinning reels allow you to work the bait better than a baitcaster. I, however, I still fish the HUB on the Baitcaster and catch just fine. I am not a fan of the small guides just seems like a bad call but I do now they work. Great topic and good info here lets keep it coming.

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I use a spinning reel because I've been using one since I was a kid. I've never really given baitcasters a try. I've played with one in the front yard a few times, and I do like the balance, but the backlashes did me in to the point I decided I didn't need the agro. I understand it's a skill that takes practice, I just never felt like the benefit was worth the cost.

But I also know fishermen who care more about the gear than the fish, so whatever makes you smile is good with me!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum