FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Today at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Today at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

This is fun? Clown show

+2
Jerdon
Bob G
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1This is fun?  Clown show Empty This is fun? Clown show Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:57 pm

Bob G

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Fishing reports are sparse what with the weather, so I thought some of the float tubers might enjoy, and get a laugh, from a kayaker's (mis)adventures.

First a more or less positive note.   Out at LAB last Monday and hooked up a very nice halibut.  Then lost it boat side while I fumbled for my camera.  At least I got to play with it.  I found it in the main channel next to the yacht club; but, want to thank TobyB for reminding me that there are fish, and good ones, off the rocks at Ballast Point.  I forget these things.  (I got the halibut on aT rigged  BPS 3" walleye paddle tail.  I learned about these from a guy at San Diego fishing forum who swears by them, and I am growing fond of them also.)

Then Friday hit Seabridge Park launch about 0530, wearing about four layers, five with the PFD.  When you take two blood thinners it doesn't take much to feel very cold.  I had the intent of making my way down to the bridge on an incoming tide.  Found the batteries dead on my head lamp, but the park had plenty of light to gear up by, and it was twilight by the time I actually launched; but that may have been a portent of things to come.  Fish finder went dark after about 15 minutes.  Later learned that the back light setting was down to 30%--one of life's mysteries since it had been bright, and I didn't knowingly change anything.  The display was so dim I could not tell what was going on, and assumed a failure since I had just charged the battery.  Cursing Garmin, but found after I got home that it wasn't their fault.   But, who needs fish finders?

Caught a couple under the bridge.  I gave a funny little tail spin (Nollar Spin) that had never been productive one more chance and it produced. Then had a major reel tangle.  I have no idea why, but, retired that rod for the day.  Was tired of holding against the current anyway; so, I drifted down to the flats, and picked up a few more.  The before mentioned walleye paddle tail worked T rigged, and I also had a couple on a Wackem ruby red on a skirted jig head.

Now the clown show begins.  I sometimes snuggle up to the orange buoy line and cast either side.  Fine, until I was ready to move.  The strongish current was "on my beam" (nautical talk) and I was trapped.  Finally pulled my way along the cable by hand to a spot where the cable sagged significantly, and  I could drift into the restricted area and get turned around. Came back and resumed fishing the flats.  Had a fish on, and lost "situational awareness" (aviation talk) and boom, up against the cable and pinned again, this time facing the other way. This time other stuff happened, and it got more complicated, but never mind.  I thought I was going to have to call the Fire Dept to pull me off, but, I finally hauled my self up the cable hand over hand until it turned enough to sort of get me bow on to the current, and freedom.  The only good news is that I did not capsize the boat, or fall overboard.  The bad news was that with all of the twisting, turning, and straining, I popped a nut off my seat back and it collapsed. So,now I am flat on my back, and a long way from home.  I think the tide was still running in, but the wind was pushing me back.   It is hard to pedal flat on your back.  I finally figured that I could  hold my self upright by grasping the  carry handles on the thwarts; but, not for long.  Then I figured that I could brace myself  with my arms on the bulkhead behind the seat; this time for a bit longer between rests.  So, I slowly and painfully made my way back.

When I beached, I called my wife, which I am required to do because she worries about me being so old, and trying to do stuff.  She immediately asked, "why are you calling so early?" since my fishing had been cut short.  For awhile it had the possibility of the best day since last summer, too.  I told her not to worry, and maybe I would tell her some time

I know this kind of thing never happens to guys in float tubes; so thought I would let you know what it is like in other parts of the angling world; and maybe give you a chuckle

This may not be up to the standards of a SPDan, GT or Alakai fishing report; but, it is what it is.

Last edited by Bob G on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)

2This is fun?  Clown show Empty Re: This is fun? Clown show Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

It was a very entertaining read, all the crap that can go wrong fishing. It was good to hear you made it home safe and that also helps the humor. Situational Awareness can turn funny into something else.

Thanks for sharing

3This is fun?  Clown show Empty Re: This is fun? Clown show Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:44 am

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great read. Fishing can be a misadventure more times than not. Glad you made it back safely and in one piece.

4This is fun?  Clown show Empty Re: This is fun? Clown show Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Bob G

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Toby, I really have appreciated your night fishing reports at LAB.  Last summer, when I first started fishing the bays, I had some success on the rock side of the Ballast Point piers.  Then I  kind of  got distracted.  Thanks to you I will fish that area more carefully.

Never felt like I was in danger.  Just very frustrating--and tiring.

5This is fun?  Clown show Empty Re: This is fun? Clown show Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:56 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hey Bob G,
It's been a while!

I must openly admit it Bob ... one day I was bound and determined; come hell or high water, to make it out to the flats and to the Los Patos Highway bridge .... against a gentle incoming tide. I made it as far as the buoy rope to the south edge of the flats and couldn't get any further for about forty minutes. I ended up fishing from the grassy bank edge.
When I finally felt the water's surge slow down enough; the water was still ripping like a fast raging river, I kicked like heck (as hard as I could) to reach the buoy cable and I finally reached it!
(after 3 or 4 failed attempts) It was only a 20 ft kick. lol! Then I pulled my way all-the-way across the eastern buoy line hand-over-hand; approx 1,000 ft, toward the north side of the flooding flats and also closer to the bridge ... to my goal and destination! I made it with lots of perseverance, determination and lots and lots of prayers!

General Note: For all those that don't know HH .. when the water gets moving in HH .... you'd better have a good plan! HH will work you hard!

I'm really glad Bob, to hear that you got to tug on a worthy Halibut and that you were able to land a couple of fish at the bridge as well! WTG!! Thumbs Up All-in-all .... I know that you'll be back!
I have no doubt of it!

I know that it was a tough session for you and I just wanted to thank you for sharing all of your testing obstacles that you had to endure and or over come!

Your write-up was not only a great read but as an excellent consideration to all of those who haven't figured HH out yet.

Thank you for the excellent read!

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

6This is fun?  Clown show Empty Re: This is fun? Clown show Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Bob G

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks for the comments Dan. I would say that it takes a real Marine to fight the HH tide down to the buoy line, much less the bridge, in a float tube.

I really do love HH, but as you say, when the tide is running it can test you.

Although my little tale was meant to be taken in fun, it does illustrate how quickly things can turn to worms on the water. I really do get chills when I see people out there without a PFD. I won't go into details of me out of the boat, and on the rocks, at the confluence of two rivers that had risen dramatically due to overnight rains in the mountains. Fortunately, my partner (Instructor) was young, strong as a bull and knew what he was doing. He actually towed me to shore behind his boat, and went back with some guide buddies after the river subsided and rescued my boat from the rocks. (Just above the confluence we found an overturned canoe in an eddy downstream of a nasty strainer. Apparently the occupants made it to shore, because there were no reports of missing people.)

Never fear. God willing and the creek don't rise, I plan to be back out on Tuesday--probably to LAB. I can't wait to put organizational plan 183 Alpha to the test.

7This is fun?  Clown show Empty Re: This is fun? Clown show Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:10 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Your story is what keeps me in the bay and never coming close to the open ocean. Good to hear you are safe and all is well.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

8This is fun?  Clown show Empty Re: This is fun? Clown show Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:01 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I really enjoyed your read Bob G. You and I have at least three things in common, fishing,names and ole guys, I'm 70. I go by Robert but my last name starts with a G and I love to fish.
I was introduced to HH by Jeff. He warned me of the tides at HH, made me leery but I finally got the balls to go and found it a challenge. It also made me change out fins 3 times. I also carry a kayak anchor for the "river days". My go to site is Tides4fishing.com, where I can judge the amount of water movement for that day. BTW I have had days where the anchor would not hold and I had to make my way to the mud banks and bury my fins. You might also want to know that that buoy line has only been there for a year or so. Please post your invites and maybe we can hook up at HH one day.........GT

9This is fun?  Clown show Empty Re: This is fun? Clown show Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Bob G

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks GT. You guys who venture to the bridge and the flats in float tubes are real fishing Ninjas.

Would love to hook up. I fish during the week, because--retired--and there are usually commitments on the weekend. Right now it is grand son's college track schedule on Saturday, and church on Sunday. I try to get out twice a week. Frankly, I can't do two days in a row, because it takes a lot out of me. The time is flexible, although I was earlier than usual on Friday because my Siamese cat alarm went off a bit early, and I couldn't get back to sleep after feeding her. Yes, she is spoiled; and yes, I am to blame.

I usually fish solitary because although Friday was sort of exceptional, it was also kind of indicative of my level of organization and competence. I hate for people to laugh at me when I am fishing. It is bad enough when the fish do it.

BTW GT, "oh to be 70 again". I am kidding. You are clearly an exceptional septuagenarian. (I looked that up.) I have mentioned before that I wasted 6 years after moving out here because I thought I was too old, and that the traffic between me and the bays was too bad. Wasn't too far wrong; but, my daughter kick started me last summer with a surprise birthday kayak. She thought that I would just paddle around back bay with her and the grand kids. Little did she know that she was reactivating the obsession. Good news is that I got the grand son out last summer, and think I hooked him. At least I hope he will continue when his schedule permits.

Alakai, I never felt endangered. Frustrated, pissed (at myself), yes. We should do what we are comfortable doing. It is meant to be fun, nothing to prove. I plan to get outside of Dana Harbor a little later in the year and look for the famous pipeline. I will be judicious about the conditions. But, I probably would never leave the dock areas in a tube.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum