FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Adding scent to new lures???

+3
n2deepfsw
jeffcpr
LGHT
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Adding scent to new lures??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:44 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

After realizing I didn't have the correct gear for harbor bass I decided to pick up several hundred random lures in all sorts of sizes and colors in bulk without scent to save a few bucks. My goal is to pick up several water proof storage containers and add scent to each container after sorting the lures by size. This way I can keep several in every color in my tackle box and put the rest in the garage for safe keeping as I know I will more than likely loose several each time I go fishing until my casting skills improve.

Does anyone make their own scent or have a good scent that can suggest using? Since I cook quit a bit I have a large dedicated section in the pantry that has all type spices, herbs, salts and oils. I actually make my own hot sauces and flavored infused oils for cooking so I would like to make my own scent if possible. However if it's a hassle then I guess I could always buy some pre-made scents.

2Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Unibutter, or Pro-Cur

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:19 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yup, I use unibutter and hot sauce.

4Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:33 pm

hot sauce, larger bottle and best bet for your buck

5Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

not sure what you guys mean when you say "hot sauce" are you talking about tapitio or is their a product called hot sauce made just for fishing?

6Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Tapitio bro.

lol!
No just kidding it is made just for fishing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:26 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

yes there is a fishing product called hot sauce i thouht is was tapatio too lol

8Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 pm

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Smelly Jelly "Bass Feast" is what I use.
But if you want to make your own you may want to start with Anise oil.

http://bassinthehood.com

9Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:40 am

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

anise oil ...smells like licorice
garlic oil is alway a favorite for trout

just remember that if you get it on ANYTHING else ...
it will smell like garlic FOREVER & EVER & EVER!!! No
we had some in the bottle in a zippered bag in a platci groc. bag in a box at the back of the shed with the door closed ...
and it STILL stunk like crazy! tongue

http://www.smithshandpouredbaits.com

10Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:35 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

lmao man that really stunk then

11Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:07 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well for now i'll probably go out and just spend the $10 for a 5 oz of hot sauce and continue to use the smelly jelly I picked up that works great because it has a wax base until I do some research on scents and try to make my own.

I did reach out to a friend who's a marine biologist at Cornell and she said the scents you buy for fishing are more to hide YOUR scent and not to really attract fish. She said fish have such a good sense of smell they can detect L-Serine amino acids in as little as 1 part per 8 billion!! She also said that's how Salmon find their spawning grounds thousands of miles away several years later. She said my best bet in an attractant is to find out what the primary food source is of my target fish and determine if that food sources "scent" can be added to my lure. If I can do that and then present a very similar looking lure I will have my best chance and catching more fish.

So I said how about California Halibut??

She just got back to me via e-mail and said their primary diet consist of small fish and anchovies so using something like an anchovy oil or paste would be a good "attractant" for that specific fish.

With that bit of advice in mind I think I'm going to start focusing on making some specific fish attractants and just store them in mayo jars and use them as a dipping sauce right after I put them on my line.

I also read that fish can detect amino acids from your skin so some guys coat their hands in "scents" before touching their bait or lures and avoid using after shave or any type of lotion / sun tan on their hands the day of. Hopefully this advice will help because after my skunk Sunday I'm gonna need all the help I can get!

12Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:22 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Unihotbuttercureproanisesaucekrilloil....stuff. All my baits are in a a plastic tub and there is a glob of all these in there. Keeps everything moist rich and delicious. This way I dont carry any extra bottles around...all in one place...everthing is saturated and away you go! Nothing bleeds or runs together all the colors are as they should be and most of all its convenient. The only baits not in there are the Hammers and the AA's. I keep those seperate.

You have to be careful when soaking plastics. Some "scents" will actually make your plastics less pliable and stiff. The Pro Cure anise oil will do this to some plastics for sure. The Hot Sauce has not given me a problem or Krill oil or Unibutter.

If your plastics get stiff or you just want to loosen up the action a little more dip them in boiling water for just a few seconds. This will loosen up a plastic bait.

13Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i did know about the hot water i knew about soaking them in water actually got in trouble for it i told my youngest daughter that if i wanted to save a few platics that were dried up i could soak them but i didnt want to so she took them and put them in a cup of water and the next day she said daddy i fix the platics and here you go i siad thanks lil one and 5 minutes later i heard that i told her to do it and i have to come clean that really bad smell thatswas all over the counter . i was given the eye by my wife and the eye to the top of my lil one head cause she would not look at me now its funny but at the time i was not no happy but it only lasted about 5minute and then we were cleaning and put sinky water on my lil one so she would remember the smell lol

14Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Actually you can put Gulp baits in water to store and they will be fine but gradually get "spongy". You should be careful with some plastics with salt impregnation as the salt will leech out over time...create a mess and change the fall and action on the bait.

15Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:35 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Another thing I like to do is make a cocktail of unibutter and hotsauce in a sandwich bag and let my plastic baits marinade in it.

16Adding scent to new lures??? Empty Re: Adding scent to new lures??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:46 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

no drinking cocktail well fishing lmao

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum