FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Commarants

+4
LGHT
jeffcpr
waxon67
golfish
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Commarants  Empty Commarants Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:00 pm

golfish

golfish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Ok, some of you might not like this post but I have to let it fly none the less (no pun intended) I've been fishing for 47 years, I recall the times back in the 80's when these birds would follow the stock truck from lake to lake catching and eating all the fish.

My son and I took our yearly camp\fish trip to the ES this year. He's been tubing for 2 years and I'd like to get him dialed in on fly fishing before we hit Crowley and Kirmin.

It seems that we have turned into "Commarants".. I could not beleive the amount of tubes out on the two Virgina lakes this past week after an Alpers and DFG stock.

Lucky for us nobody knows about Trumbull. I'd bet 80% of the commarants out there don't know about this lake..

Sorry, just venting...

2Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

golfish wrote:Ok, some of you might not like this post but I have to let it fly none the less (no pun intended) I've been fishing for 47 years, I recall the times back in the 80's when these birds would follow the stock truck from lake to lake catching and eating all the fish.

My son and I took our yearly camp\fish trip to the ES this year. He's been tubing for 2 years and I'd like to get him dialed in on fly fishing before we hit Crowley and Kirmin.

It seems that we have turned into "Commarants".. I could not beleive the amount of tubes out on the two Virgina lakes this past week after an Alpers and DFG stock.

Lucky for us nobody knows about Trumbull. I'd bet 80% of the commarants out there don't know about this lake..

Sorry, just venting...

My feelings on fishing is a mixed bag. I totally understand how you feel. I feel a threat to my favorite fishing spots from time to time. Yet I want to help out and share the joy with my fellow advocates. It's a mixed bag brudda. But I feel ya.

3Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:16 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Lets just hope they are all fishing with in the rules and regs. and maybe practicing catch and release when appropiate. There are always going to be those days when you look at the water and think where the hell did they all come from. That is life I understand you thoughts for sure.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well I think the problem or advantage for the "commarants" is the DFG now post it's stockings online. Not sure how long that's been happening since I really only got into non deep sea fishing this year, but I don't think you could find let alone follow the truck as easy in the past as you can now. I would imagine the stockings page probably gets a few thousands hits a month if not more.

5Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 pm

golfish

golfish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:Lets just hope they are all fishing with in the rules and regs. and maybe practicing catch and release when appropiate.

When your camping\fishing for more then a couple days I feel you have no choice other then to practice Catch and release. I like trout for dinner but not everyday.

I saw a guy walking though the parking lot at the resort, he had 7 fish on his stringer, plain as day, didn't bother him one bit. At the upper lake I saw two guys in a boat releasing fish. I also saw dead fish drifting from their boat. I guess it was ok for the bald eagle flying around.

For some people, the idea of C n R is cutting the line and let the fish go.

6Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:05 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Yes sir there is more to it than rip out the hook and watch me put it back in the water. I don't keep anything I catch anymore. I got my fill as a kids now I am teaching my kids the right way to C n R there fish.
Just recently I was thinking I may need to keep a few would be nice for the kids to learn how to clean the fish one day as well.

7Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:25 pm

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

i personaly think that planted trout are meant for consumption.
people should pay attention to the rules for limits.
and if they are going to practice catch & release,
do it carefully!

http://www.smithshandpouredbaits.com

8Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:43 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Fro planted trout I totally agree, I never really fish for them anymore, and if I do I will give then to the guy next to me. I have no interest in eating these stockers, just my 2 cents

9Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I am pretty much catch and release because I don't want to eat what ever they are raising those DFG stockers on to make them a pale white inside. Only time I will keep a fish is if the lake prohibits the release of trout or I get a big enough Alper to make a meal.

Sucks seeing so many dead fish in the Sierras and local pay lakes where people's idea of catch and release being drag it up shore and grab it with a dry towel, rip the hook out or cut the line and then give it a good boot back into the lake. Technically you could say it's pretty much a canned hunt at most lakes in CA, they plant it we catch it and decide if it lives or not.

10Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:58 pm

golfish

golfish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Nice to see we all agree... My lake of choice in Calif is Crowley, my choice of fishing partners is my son, Cole (he's 9). IME, he just can't handle the fish in that lake and equipment need to fish it during the C n R months. We made a deal last week that he would learn how to tie all the knots and I'd teach him how to use a fly rod and reel. You guys that use this equipment know its something that really can't be taught... I truely can't wait for that day he hooks in to one of those Eagle Lake Bow's and it hauls his butt all over the lake green happy

Good stuff my friends, keep em wet:)

11Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:06 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Good job dad, teaching your son the right way early. You guys will have many years of good memories keep up the good work. My oldest at 16 has been with me a few times he likes it, the next one is 9 but not ready yet. and my daughter is 7 but she will be my fishing buddy for life. I cannot wait to get them out on the tubes one day. My goal is to have my whole family all 5 of us in tubes on the water just once.

12Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:59 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yes we are the cormorants. But try and look at it from this perspective. The stocking program in California is about PUT and TAKE! for the enjoyment of all who wish to partake. Stocked fish are meant to be harvested. Catch and release of stocked fish is counterproductive. To release a stocked fish is to introduce a fish that has a genetic predisposition that tends to dilute the indigenous gene pool. This is the main argument of groups like CalTrout and Trout Unlimited who are actively seeking to discontinue the trout planting program in California altogether. When you catch a planted fish, (identified by the clipped adipose fin,) keep it! Smoke it, Barbeque it! Give it away if you must! ( this is illegal by the way ). But don"t release it!
Catch and release is for indigenous and native fish.(Or holdover fish which are my favorite) And if you are really serious about it you should be fishing barbless hooks ALWAYS!!!

bodfish

PS.
Trout are one of the most fragile of species to catch and release. If you truly wish your catch to survive,....
1) use small barbless hooks ALWAYS! ( I personally think there is no need to fish with anything larger than a size 16 for bait and 12 for flies )
1a) if you are lure fishing put barbless single hooks on your lures
2) use a synthetic non-woven net
3) DO NOT LIFT THE FISH OUT OF THE WATER!!!!
4) try not to touch the fish at all except for that which is necessary to remove the hook
5) try to keep the amount of time the fish is in your possession to a minimum (30 or 40 seconds is good) If you must take a picture be ready to do so !!
6) try and fish with the heaviest leader you can and don't fool around with the fight. The shorter the fight the better chance you have for a good live release.
7) if you are fishing with a bait rig or you hook the fish deeply ( anywhere on the interior of the gullet) Don't even attempt to remove the hook. Simply cut the leader as close to the hook as possible, release the fish, and hope for the best!! By the way, if the fish is bleeding he is most likely mortally wounded. Keep him!
Cool learn ressusatative techniques and use them!

FYI
Did you know that studies done at the Universities of Florida, Georgia and Oklahoma have found that hoisting a fish (depending on what species) by their lower jaw can cause dysfunctional feeding behavior for up a week after the occurrence? Cup the fish under the stomach or roll them over. if you must "lip" them don't break the jaw over and keep the fish in the water.

bodfish

13Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:10 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

We put good info. question I thought I had read that you can give fish away, as long as.
1. The person you give it to is not limited out.
2. remember it counts as a fish kept for you. (meaning you also limit out even though you don't have the fish in possesion)

Am I wrong I would like to know. study

14Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:10 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

wow lot to think about and a lot of good point and info thanks for this post
Ed

15Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:12 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

good question i would say i released it

16Commarants  Empty Re: Commarants Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:38 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I remember a post about the rules not sure if it was here or some where else.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum